• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smokey Alert in Maitland FL

stevegr

Got stopped by the Maitland Police today in my Deuce. I asked the officer what I did wrong. He said you don't have a tag. I said yes I do, it's in my glove box. Had to explain to Roscoe that it's a permanent antique tag and you don't have to display it on the outside of an antique military vehicle. I handed him a copy of the state law which I keep with my tag. No problems, just took 20 mintues. He walked back to the Deuce, agreed that it is legal to keep the tag in the glove box and I was on my way. Has this happened to anyone recently?

Greg:grd:

Last edited:

sp00n

I live right outside of Redstone arsenal and nobody gives me a second look. Everyone just assumes I'm doing some "army stuff".

colelkhunter

tennessee makes you display it even if it is an antique tag. We also do the permenent tags for antiques. Never been stopped for tag, but I get pulled over all the time in my deuce for speeding.......LOL (kidding please don't pm me)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never been stopped but like you, I keep a copy of 320.086 in the truck for just that purpose. It helps remembering the statute number!

bigzirb

Smokey help :)

Just be careful, as a County LEO and talking to a local Florida Highway patrolman we checked the statute:

Ancient or antique motor vehicles; horseless carriage, antique, or historical license plates; former military vehicles.

(1) The owner of a motor vehicle for private use manufactured in 1945 or earlier, equipped with an engine manufactured in 1945 or earlier or manufactured to the specifications of the original engine, and operated on the streets and highways of this state shall, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department and upon payment of the license tax for an ancient motor vehicle prescribed by s. 320.08(1)(d), (2)(a), or (3)(e), be issued a special license plate for such motor vehicle. The license plate shall be permanent and valid for use without renewal so long as the vehicle is in existence. In addition to the payment of all other fees required by law, the applicant shall pay such fee for the issuance of the special license plate as may be prescribed by the department commensurate with the cost of its manufacture. The registration numbers and special license plates assigned to such motor vehicles shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with “Horseless Carriage No. 1,” and the plates shall be of a distinguishing color.

(2)(a) The owner of a motor vehicle for private use manufactured after 1945 and of the age of 30 years or more after the date of manufacture, equipped with an engine of the age of 30 years or more after the date of manufacture, and operated on the streets and highways of this state may, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department and upon payment of the license tax prescribed by s. 320.08(1)(d), (2)(a), or (3)(e), be issued a special license plate for such motor vehicle. In addition to the payment of all other fees required by law, the applicant shall pay the fee for the issuance of the special license plate prescribed by the department, commensurate with the cost of its manufacture. The registration numbers and special license plates assigned to such motor vehicles shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with “Antique No. 1,” and the plates shall be of a distinguishing color. The owner of the motor vehicle may, upon application and payment of the license tax prescribed by s. 320.08, be issued a regular Florida license plate or specialty license plate in lieu of the special “Antique” license plate.

(b) Motor vehicles licensed under this section which have been issued a permanent license plate prior to October 1, 1999, shall maintain such plate unless the vehicle is transferred to a new owner. Motor vehicles licensed under this section which have been issued a “Collectible” license plate prior to October 1, 1999, may retain that license plate until the next regularly scheduled replacement.

(3) The owner of an ancient or antique firefighting apparatus, former military vehicle, or other historical motor vehicle 30 years old or older which is used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display may, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department and upon payment of the license tax prescribed by s. 320.08(2)(a), be issued a license plate as prescribed in subsection (1) or subsection (2). License plates issued under this subsection shall be permanent and valid for use without renewal as long as the vehicle is in existence and its use is consistent with this subsection.

(4) Any person who is the registered owner of a motor vehicle as defined in this section and manufactured in the model year 1974 or earlier may apply to the department for permission to use a historical Florida license plate that clearly represents the model year of the vehicle as a personalized prestige license plate. This plate shall be furnished by such person and shall be presented to the department with a reasonable fee to be determined by the department for approval and for authentication that the historic license plate and any applicable decals were issued by this state in the same year as the model year of the car or truck. The requirements of s. 320.0805(8)(b) do not apply to historical plates authorized under this subsection.

(5) A former military vehicle that is used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display is exempt from the requirement to display a license plate or registration insignia if the exemption is necessary to maintain the vehicle’s accurate military markings. However, the license plate and registration certificate issued under this section must be carried within the vehicle and available for inspection by any law enforcement officer.

(6) For purposes of this section, “former military vehicle” means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle’s size, weight, or year of manufacture, that was manufactured for use in any country’s military forces and is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately.

History.
— s. 1, ch. 57-326; s. 1, ch. 59-206; s. 6, ch. 65-190; ss. 24, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 6, ch. 78-363; s. 33, ch. 83-318; s. 2, ch. 87-197; s. 18, ch. 96-413; ss. 10, 51, ch. 97-300; s. 30, ch. 99-248; s. 45, ch. 2000-152; s. 3, ch. 2005-47.

If you are wanting to run without displaying your antique tag, the important parts (for most of us) are in sub section 5 and 6 that say used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display, and if the exemption is necessary to maintain the vehicle’s accurate military markings.

Most LEO's will work with us but a strick one (I work with a few) would make you tell where the Exibition, parade, or public display is, and prove the markings are accurate. Just don't try it with a vehicle painted in tie dye :? and you should be fine.
Keeping a copy of the Statute in your vehicle is always helpful.
For those in Floeida
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Just have fun. :driver::driver:

OldDominionIron2

Without stopping you and asking the question, how can the LEO tell the difference between someone who knows the law and obeys it (as you obviously do) and another person who just doesn't want to do the right thing and register their vehicle?
Instead of asking the officer what I did wrong, I start off by saying good morning (or afternoon, or evening) officer, and let him explain why he pulled me over. For example, "You aren't displaying a license plate." "It's in the glove box, officer, may I get it for you? I'm not required to display my antique tags as long as I possess them, here is a copy of the statute."
I think that would turn a 20-minute traffic stop into a 5-minute one (he's still going to call in your information and wait for the results).
Just my $.02.

stevegr

bigzirb, thanks for the info. It always helps getting some insight from an LEO in this matter, especially an LEO that is an SS Member that had an MV. I was on my way to the Richloam Rally, so I believe that qualifies as some sort of former military exhibition. On my way, my boss called and informed me I had to work on Friday so unfortunately I did not make it to the Rally.

OldDominionIron2, I agree with you sir. Perhaps I could have handled the situation a little different, with a friendlier tone of voice and a little more decorum.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put my truck on public display every time I drive it to Publix. LOL, one has to be prepared for the letter of the law Officers and Deputies. I work with many as well here in Broward County.

stevegr

That's funny Kenny. As Larry the Cable Guy says, "That's Funny, I Don't Care Who You Are, Git R Done". See you at the Florida Rally in a couple of weeks. My family and I are looking forward to the food.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will be there come heck or high water. Hoping I can fix me old deuce in time as I need a hooch to sleep in!

tvoss

I got stopped twice around Orlando for this. No problems, but I finally just mounted the tag so they would stop asking me to see it. Then I got stopped for no tag light and I explained that I didn't even have to display the tag, but I put a tag light on anyway. It's just a hassle to keep getting stopped.

stevegr

tvoss, didn't you know it's against the law to drive a Deuce at night in Orlando (LOL). Heck, that's the only time you'd need a tag light.

A

A/C Cages

Ive been only stopped 2X here in Florida, both times by rookies who think they know everything and dont know crapola about anything. The first one was nice and I showed him the reasons why its not displayed and he understood and let me go. The second one was a jerk and demanded that I get my FingA** out of the truck, put my hands up, and walk towards his car. I sat in the truck, called his LT, and before he could repeat it for the 4th time. He got a rude awaking over the radio. He came up to the truck, still insulting me because I got him busted. I stepped out, proceeded over to him and arrested him after showing him my badge and cuffed him. He lost his job over this and an earlier incident of asking a woman to sexually favor him to get out of a ticket. She turned him in earler that same day. This was his 3rd day running solo.

If you are a officer and you want to try to abuse your power, remember, you never know whom you are pulling over. One of us might be a Federal officer driving our personal toys legally around town. Im retired now but I will never put up with a prick who abuses their power like that.

The one who pulled me over and was polite about it, I was polite in informing him about the laws stating I dont need to display the tags. In fact we talk here and there about his Jeep that he also goes mudding with at the same place I go.

99% of the locals know me. you cant miss my big snot green truck with a 6' USA flag flying in the back of the bed.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since I have started driving the 814 around town, all the LEO's I have seen have either waved, or given me the thumbs up, even when I was in my UPS browns. I may never get stopped in this town.

Unforgiven

If you didn't have plates displayed on the truck, I can understand why he pulled you over.

After all, you could have just robbed the 711 around the corner and were making your speedy getaway.

:driver:

Heavysteven

I have gotten only looks every time a police officer sees me. The shock value in Cherokee County is gone, I guess there to many near Canton. However, I have all my documentation in the glove box to prove I own it, insurance, and registration.

srodocker

i havent been pulled over but a cop stopped at my buddies place when i was there and asked where my tags were and i displayed them. was rude about it and he left. have only been waved to since

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks