• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smokin'!

msoumas

Just drove my 09 for the first time in a couple of months. It seemed to be just fine the last time I drove it, but today I drove it the ~7 miles to work, and I started having some trouble. About halfway through the drive I started to notice a faint burning smell that I couldn't identify. I got about a half mile from the shop, and started noticing a little bit of white smoke. I decided to push on since I was right down the street, and when I pulled up I went to see what was going on and the smoke was coming out of my front driver's side wheel, which was hot to the touch. I also noticed that the truck seemed to be pulling to the right on braking. I can't take it apart until this weekend, any ideas on what to look for?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be a bad brake hose that isn't allowing the caliper to release. They will collapse internally and block the fluid. Or it could be a bad wheel bearing.

You said the divers side was hot, but was pulling to the right?

For future reference, please use a more descriptive thread tiltle. It makes it easy to use the search feature when looking for simular problems.

I thought your truck had burned up. ;-)

Last edited:

msoumas

Could be a bad brake hose that isn't allowing the caliper to release. They will collapse internally and block the fluid. Or it could be a bad wheel bearing.

You said the divers side was hot, but was pulling to the right?

For future reference, please use a more descriptive thread tiltle. It makes it easy to use the search feature when looking for simular problems.

I thought your truck had burned up. ;-)
Yeah, I found it odd too, I would have figured if the driver's side wheel was having trouble it would pull left.

Guess it's a good thing I don't need the truck to get home tonight. :roll:

Barrman

I second the brake caliper/hose problem if your pull was to the same side as the hot parts. I had this happen just a week or so ago on a USAF Suburban with the exact same parts and the exact same age as your 1009. Around $80 total for both front calipers and both front hoses fixed the problem and gives me a lot better braking. Piece of mind too.

I had already done the bearings on this truck, so I didn't get into them this time. If you have not repacked your bearings yet, now is a great time. Maybe even get the rotors turned if any run out is there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks