• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

smoking issue still after new injectors

llong66

Hello all! I have been having an issue with the passenger side smoking a whitish, very slightly blue tinged smoke ever since I rebuilt my 6.5l. I had a slight ticking and it would only smoke when I was accelerating. Today I replaced the 4 injectors on the pass side with 4 new Bosch injectors. The slight ticking seems to have gone but I am still getting a good amount of smoke out of only the pass side, only when under acceleration. It does seem to run a little smoother now. I have no fuel in the oil no coolant in the oil, etc all fluids are "clean" I don't think it could be a timing issue as its only the one side. I have not done a compression check but I don't think there is a compression issue as it runs very smooth. It starts right up, even with the 0 degree weather we have had. Could in be an inj pump issue? I have not messed with the fuel dilevey setting at all. It has all new filters, new CDR valve. I am not sure where to look next other than removing the head, which i REALLY don't want to do.

Thanks much!
Greg

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I would do the compression check. I just rebuilt a 6.5 and had smoke from the drivers side, it has cleared up, but I used the old injectors. If you pull the pink wire from the IP and crank the motor does it sound even? as in the sound of the motor cranking over is consistent, steady, even? no fast spots?

llong66

FMJ, yes, it cranks nice and even. Its so fast it would almost be hard to pick out an unevenness. I just went for a drive again and the first cpl miles it didn't smoke at all, then after a min or two of idle, I took off and it had started smoking again. Maybe it will eventually clear up like yours, maybe its burning off "residue" from the bad injector?

Drock

You could try swapping the injectors from drivers side to passenger side, and see if it still smokes on the same side.

llong66

eme411, they did not have caps over the tips, the tops were capped, sealed in corrosion resistant bags and individually boxed. That is a thought for sure, I just think it would be pretty odd to have the exact same problem. I will keep that though in mind, thanks!

llong66

I took my truck on a 200 mile round trip today. It runs soooo good! smooth as a sewing machine, definitely more power after the injector change. Just the darn smoke!! When I bought the motor I rebuilt it was running but when I got it apart, the heads on both sides had cracks between the intake and exhaust valves on a cpl of cyl on both sides. That motor had 260,xxx miles on it. The heads I have now were bought new from SS diesel a cpl of years ago and only have around 8,000 miles on them. they were new 6.5l turbo heads diamond pre cups. Could these have developed such a crack in that short amount of time? The motor has never been over heated or anything since they were put on. If they have developed a crack, its obviously not in a water jacket or oil passage. Would a crack between the valve seats show itself in such a way, the smokeing? Would a compression test show this? Also, since its only the pass side, its not a timing issue at least I don't see how it could be, but could it be an inj pump issue? To much fuel to just a cpl of cyl?

Drock

I think at this point the compression test is going to be your best bet. Doing the test will either show you the problem ,Or at least narrow down the possibilities yah know:?:.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
at this point I would pull the injectors on that side , take them into a shop and put them on the tester and see if the spray is good and not dripping or leaking and that the Bar pressure is correct (should be on the side of the injector nozzle), if they test out good double check the pump timing, and just for the heck of it sniff your smoke , you will smell if there is coolant and you will also see this in your rad level,

llong66

eme411, would you recommend that even though they are brand new? I am going to have to get a compression tester that will work with a diesel, mine is only for gassers. I saw a set the other day at Harbor Freight, I am pretty careful what I buy there, has anyone had experience with their compression tester set?

Thanks,
Greg

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have them checked you will know for sure, the color and odor of the smoke will also tell a story , if you drive the truck as it is for the next while you will also be able to get a good idea of what is happening by your fluid levels, coolant , oil ,

llong66

eme411, I wll chk out the odor of the exhaust. All of my fluids have been at normal level and "clean"
FMJ, yes, the guy at the shop that did the machine work is familiar with the 6.2l and 6.5l and their issues, hes said he magnifluxed the c*** out of it