• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smoking

motormayhem

On my m1009 after I did a new high flow fuel filter (60GPH rated) it seems to have a haze of black/dark gray smoke when idling in gear but not when in neutral or park. Also has some smoke on any acceleration and when pulling hills. Is the smoke at idle ok or whats up?

southdave

overfueling? maybe need a fuel regulator now, after the increase in volume of fuel. just a thought, the pump and return line have design limits. I looked at all this when I went with an electric pump on my 1009. the spec on the fuel system are in them TM.

motormayhem

Oh and I forgot to mention that I did the TM lift pump tests and after 15 sec of cranking it builds 9psi(TM says a min of 5-6 psi) and pumps about 1Pint (TM says at least 1/2 Pint). When it is running the gauge jumps between 3-4 and 9PSI really rapidly, but the tm has no tests for when the engine is running.

BIG_RED

I have a Stanadyne FM 100 on mine (new high flow filter). I have no problems. Are you sure it's fuel? I had smoke like that when my CDR valve got stuck open (brass round thing on passenger side valve cover). Or... I sure hope not... But, in changing the filter, maybe some crap got in your fuel line and is now stuck in your injector pump. I second that the fuel filter wiring doesn't matter.

motormayhem

Ok well I will check the vdr valve. I know the intake always has a very small amount of oil in it. Like if you rub your finger in there is might have a little oil smuge on it. It has been doing this for months and I am finally getting around to investigating it. Does anyone think it is something to worry about or is it ok to just let it do this. My oil level doesn't seem to go down much between oil changes. Maybe 1/2 way from full to low on the dipstick over 4000 miles

CUCVDESTROYER

Same thing is going on with my m1009, Just replaced the fuel filter with a brand new one. I took the PVC hoses off and checked inside them. there's alot of oil inside the CDR also, a pretty good amount... the truck is smoking light grey / white on start up / idle. I'm not 100% sure on this but it's also a thought i came across. the old fuel filter has the little rubber deals that the fittings go into. they were cracked and pretty much falling off, what could happen if they get into the fuel line? would that cause this to happen?

I'm thinking my CDR could be stuck open aswell, but i'm not sure how to check to see if it is. this is my 1st diesel i've ever owned. very new to this stuff.

Thanks.

jimmy-90

That is strange. When I converted my truck to a spin on filter I noticed a little bit of black smoke when I reved it up slightly in park. It seemed to go away after I drove it a couple times. Seemed like the big spin on filter made mine run nicer though.

motormayhem

Same thing is going on with my m1009, Just replaced the fuel filter with a brand new one. I took the PVC hoses off and checked inside them. there's alot of oil inside the CDR also, a pretty good amount... the truck is smoking light grey / white on start up / idle. I'm not 100% sure on this but it's also a thought i came across. the old fuel filter has the little rubber deals that the fittings go into. they were cracked and pretty much falling off, what could happen if they get into the fuel line? would that cause this to happen?

I'm thinking my CDR could be stuck open aswell, but i'm not sure how to check to see if it is. this is my 1st diesel i've ever owned. very new to this stuff.

Thanks.
I think it may be the GDR on mine as well. It is letting some oil into the intake.

BIG_RED

Taking the CDR valve off the truck and washing it with warm soapy water, then coating it inside and out with WD40 fixed all that for me. You'd be surprised how much black sludge crap will come out. The CDR valve is supposed to open and close to make sure there is just a little vacuum inside the crankcase at all times. We're supposed to clean them every 30,000 miles or something, or else they get full of crap and stick open, sucking all kinds of stuff out of your crankcase and into your intake (like oil, sludge from oil filler, etc).

CUCVDESTROYER

Yeah. that's exactly what I thought. I took the CDR valve off and ran it through a parts cleaner (diesel) over night. so much junk came pouring out... I'm not sure how to tell if the diaphram is busted though. the spring inside that keeps it regulated. I'm going to check it after about a week and see if there's more oil build up. If so i'm just going to buy a new CDR.

BIG_RED

I imagine a little bit of oil build up is normal. I tested my CDR by putting my mouth on the tiny little atmospheric vent hole on the top of it and blowing. If the diaphram is good, you should hear a little click when you blow into it. (you don't have to blow very hard). That's the diaphram closing the valve, because you've raised its atmospheric pressure, so it thinks there is a slight vacuum on the crankcase side. If you hear your breath whistling through the diaphram - it's toast. Just trying to save you the trouble of finding a new one if yours is still good.

CUCVDESTROYER

Ok cool. I'm going to try that out myself. I've been looking around all day. I can't find anywhere that carries CDR valves. Napa told me they don't carry them... Rockauto.com has one for the (c) engine, I'm guessing I need the (j) version for a m1009. Has anyone bought a CDR valve recently? where from and what part number?

Thanks.