• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Smoother Ride?

tim292stro

The reason for the bucket suggestion is that the spring bases would twist a bench due to uneven loading. If you could get it to connect the two bases to move in unison that would help, but you might have to DIY the spring base to do that well.

Csm Davis

Air springs - these are $275 (plus labor or DIY, $50 rebate until Feb 2015, so ~$225). Limited Lifetime Warranty, 250-5000lbs of adjustable support, if plumbed right you can even take care of uneven loads... You'll probably get about 7-10 years out of them before the air bag(s) need to be replaced, that's ~$32/year or less (assuming 7-years minimum). Much better economics IMHO, and you aren't forced to carry sand/snow in the summer to soften the load (killing any fuel economy).
I am not certain but I know that it works. Me and my stepfather both use them on our trucks and it takes the harshness out even when not inflated to take extra weight. I recommend them to anyone who has a truck.

llong66

Yea, I figured the whole thing would be a DIY project, not something I plan on doing as the ride really does not bother me that much, even after a cpl back surgeries. It was just kinda a "hey, what if" moment. I never thought of uneven twisting being an issue, could make the whole thing no better than stock. I like my bench because even though I currently have a bench console, if I need to, I can take it out and get a 3rd, possible even 4th pass. in there in an emergency, cant do that with buckets...or I suppose you could have a 3rd ride the top of the console, again, emergency only.