• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snap, crackle, pop from battery compartment at startup

Edis06

About 2 months ago I went to start the truck at night and there was a pop and smoke from the battery compartment when I went to crank. I tried again and it did it again. When I removed the seat to inspect, I noticed I replaced the plastic cover upside down and it was putting pressure on the ground connection at the body, and there was some black soot around the connection. I turned it around and have driven it daily without incident until today. Did it again, but only once.

It seems like it is arcing right at the ground connection, which is covered in a tar-like putty.

Is this a common issue? Does anyone have a pic of their setup so I can possibly clean this one up to match? Any insight is appreciated.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Common for an old trucks. Best to remove and clean every connection that is nut and bolted, of the electrical system. Follow the leads, break the connection, wire brush, re-torque and seal for waterproofing / corrosion prevention. Note they go thru the battery box via feed-thru's that need attention along with the shunt. Follow down to the starter positive and ground connections. A little work scraping and cleaning.

Check out the other threads about grounds / electrical gremlins.

Clean and tight. Make it right, CAMO

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another thing to keep and eye on are your battery connections where the cable goes into the clamps if they are ever getting worn with lots of broken wire in the cable change them and re-solder them back on a new section of cable. Our trucks draw a lot of power when starting a cold engine and if the wire is less than its full capacity you will burn the wire off at the clamps!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks