• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snap On Calendar Deuceswild Deuce!

Elwenil

Craftsman is a mixed bag to me. They aren't near the quality they used to be and for people like me, it's a horrible pain to get them replaced. I used to have to drive 60 miles to the nearest Sears store only to be told that they didn't have a replacement in stock and would have to order it. The store wouldn't call me when it came in, I just had to keep checking back. Calling was no good, I had to make the drive. So getting something replaced sometimes took months if I wasn't willing to make a bunch of special trips. Now the local K-mart carries Craftsman but they are horrible quality and I will not buy them.

As for the difference in tools, the screwdriver is a great example but I think the biggest gap in tool quality is in the wrenches. You can pick up a Mac or Snap-On wrench and know you are holding something designed for a professional to use everyday. The Craftsman tools just feel light and don't fit near as well and don't feel as good in your hand. When using a wrench for a long period of time, having one that has sure engagement with the fastener and that you can really tug on without hurting your hand is a huge plus.

stephenfeldmeier

Tools, as with everything else the question lies, is one brand better then another? As a former aircraft mechanic for 20 years in the Air Force, and doing a frame up restoration on a M211, I have managed to break or wear out every type of tool and every brand of tool available through normal use. This does not include the tools I misused such as using a screwdriver as a pry bar or a wrench as a hammer. I’m only talking about tool break down through normal use; I have broken Snap-on, Craftsman, Proto, Mac, Thorson, and every other tool out there. Forged metal is forged metal, you try to make a tool to with stand wear such as a wrench, you add more carbon. The more carbon you add, the more brittle the metal becomes. All tool manufactures know where the threshold lies of the carbon content and tempering for each type of tool.
So my toolboxes have several different brands of tools. I buy tools for the shape and feel, but price is the driving factor, not what brand it is. Some of the cheapest tools I bought out lasted the most expensive tools I have. I like all brands of tools but in the same breath, I hate all brands for one reason or another. My perfect tool, it’s the tool that does the work for you and won’t hide from you. When those come out on the market, I’ll be the first one to buy it.

stephenfeldmeier said:
My perfect tool, it’s the tool that does the work for you and won’t hide from you. When those come out on the market, I’ll be the first one to buy it.
I hear that, I'm horrible about losing tools I just had in my hand 30 seconds prior!

Snap on Corp. does give me warm fuzzies though, I had a Snap on Cordless drill I bought at a garage sale for $25.00 a few years back, no charger. I buy a new charger and find out that it still doesn't work. So the sales rep in the snap on truck comes by, I show him the drill, he tears into it, takes a few moments to sigh deeply and scratch his head finally deciding that it was defective and not broken by me ......so what does he do? Gives me a brand spankin new one for FREE!!!!! 75 dollar investment equalled a 300+ dollar drill. Good people those snap on folks..... great tools too, all I use at work!

As far as the calender............ I love it! Congratulations! Anyone know where I can find a whole calender of dueces?

ah1955

Gray Manufacturing that makes I think some of the best air jacks out there has a calander that shows there products in use. The Aug. pic is a 900 series cargo truck with the front up on a pair of wheel lift jacks. Don't know if could scan and post the pic without approval.
As far as the tool debate stephenfeldmeier summed it up best all have plus & minas.

yorkgulch2

Ijust need tools guaranted against loss!!
I am doing the garage sale method of filling out my Snapon and Mac sets. I fill in my craftsman set when I visit my Dad!

DMgunn

I gotta weigh in too, I guess. Snap-on is expensive because the dealers have to carry so much of their customers' debt. And the sockets are no better than any other premium brand. Screwdrivers, yes, wonderful. Most of the specialty tools, though, are just other guy's stuff re-branded "Snap-On", with a giant price to match.

I've spent much time digging in my extra sockets drawer to use a "lesser" socket after breaking an almighty Snappy. Lord knows the Snap-On guy isn't going to be there when I need him. At least I can get the other tools whenever I want to.

No one at Sears has ever told me a tool is "worn out, not broken" or abused. I don't need to argue with them. They just swap it for another.

chevycrew

On the note of black tools.... I love em..

Just hate it when I pick them up after they "moved" out in the sun on their own..

We use a fair share of craftsman, mac, and snap-on at work, they all break, all wear out.

The feel of superior tools is better. I cant keep a craftsman ratchet from breaking for the life of me.... But the rest do the job.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was in my cousins shop the other day and I noticed Deuceswild's truck on the Snap-On calender on the wall! I had to point out to him, that I "know who that is"! Doubt we'll ever meet but, It is nice to feel associated, here on SS, Just thought it was noteworthy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks