• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snapped a Bear Claw on a 5 ton need some direction ...Drivers side 813 A1

CARNSEQ

I need CLARIFICATION from an expert ... I just finished installing the NEW front drivers side AXLE AGAIN on my 813 ./.. I currently have the truck blocked up so I can operate it off the ground and not take a chance in snapping another axle . ( the second axle snapped apart in my parking lot moving forward and rev in a 50' straight line ) . I have read so many threads that I still confused ... I really need a parts breakdown of the transfer case .. Does it have one or two sprag clutches ? I'm thinking that it has two a forward and a rev ... and that I have one or the other stuck and that's been the underlying issue all along but I'm not sure the guy I bought the truck from never knew the first axle was snapped because he never tried to use the all wheel drive .. he drove it a couple times a year in a parade ..I want to make this my daily driver and use the all wheel drive .well to also play ! .. ( was a 6x6 that is not cut down to a 4x4 )

So after I've rebuilt this twice I'm going to make sure everything is operational before I start running it ..

Here is exactly what I have now

No AIR IN THE SYSTEM Truck trans in Neutral and range in Neutral
You can spin BOTH front tires Together forward and Rev no problem

START THE TRUCK AND BUILD UP AIR

You can spin both front tires FORWARD but NOT IN REV ( one or the other as a normal diff works )

I can start the truck and run all the gears and range under power and it all seems fine ,,

DO I HAVE A STUCK SPRAG CLUTCH ??? and if so how do I fix it ?
Thanks In Advance for all your help ..
JL

red

You have a air switch that is plumed in to disable the front wheel drive correct? (not original as mentioned earlier). If that switch is flipped off then even with the truck's air pressure built up the front wheels should be able to spin forward/reverse with no issue.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes 2 clutches, one forward, one reverse.
I agree, sounds like a stuck clutch. I haven't dug into a 5ton case. so I can't help much farther.

CARNSEQ

This appears to be all original .. and there is no air switch in the system ,,, I have read and understand that its pretty simple to install one ... but thats not the problem .. Im still not sure if one of the clutches are stuck .. and if it is its been that way for some time is my guess ... I did see someone put 5 gal of diesel in the transfer case and ran it .. they posted that it worked ?

74M35A2

Throw an M939 t-case under there and be done with all this craziness, unless it doesn't fit, but I have heard of others at least talking about doing such. Can get them relatively cheap, $500 or so. Goes forward, backward, front axle air switched, all that. Nothing more satisfying then dropping a POS into the dumpster at work and hearing the loud "thud" when it hits the bottom. To me, this means I'll never have to work on that again, and it comes back later as a nice Christmas tree ornament cast in China. Perfect, everybody wins.

I used to work at Drunkin Donuts, they never had bear claws. We did used to make elephant ears though by simply flattening out raised dough, dropping it in the fryer, then removing and coating with cinnamon-sugar from the cinnamon donuts. We used to sell them kind of on the side, until customers would come in asking for them again and the store owner was like "How did you buy that last week, we don't offer them.", and us at 15 years old stood there with dumb looks on our faces.

GR, you're due for a new pic.

Last edited:

red

Throw an M939 t-case under there and be done with all this craziness, unless it doesn't fit, but I have heard of others at least talking about doing such. Can get them relatively cheap, $500 or so. Goes forward, backward, front axle air switched, all that. Nothing more satisfying then dropping a POS into the dumpster at work and hearing the loud "thud" when it hits the bottom. To me, this means I'll never have to work on that again, and it comes back later as a nice Christmas tree ornament cast in China. Perfect, everybody wins.
The T1138 tcase can be installed into the m809 series trucks (been done by a few here) but his tire size creates a problem. Between the .78 OD from the transmission and .73 OD from the T1138 tcase gives a final OD gear of .57, making 5th gear useless until 65mph. Needs to step down in tire size to swap the tcase out.

When you have air pressure and place the trans in reverse are the front tires spinning backwards (truck on blocks of course)?

74M35A2

Got it (spragger t-case higher geared or even 1:1?). Still could work if his engine has the stones to pull a lower overall gear. Truck is bobbed so lighter, and probably runs empty 99% of time. What did the case study of others that did it reveal? Final of 0.57 does seem in the basement though. Or, maybe I should not be trying to derail this, but it seems like a nice upgrade if possible.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks