• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sneaky winch mounts for your CUCV

91W350

I ran out of attachment space, anyway, the rear license plate is mounted with a spring and sucked up tight to the bumper. I used camper plug ins for my winch remotes. The front mount is a plate that we rolled to give it strength. The mounts are in existing holes in the chassis, no welding or drilling was done to the chassis. The front roller fair lead being mounted to the stock bumper is not the best for lateral winching, but they sure worked slick. I apologize for duplicate photos as it was hard to tell/remember what I uploaded. Glen

Attachments

91W350

It only rubs when there is no tension on the cable. If you are dragging a spare tire to straighten out the wraps, it never rubs, take off the tension though and it loops up there. It is definitely close.

Midnight Rider

I would think you might want to put some sort of cover/skidplate over those. It looks like they could get damaged under there.

That's pretty cool though.

91W350

The front one I had to watch the one on the front end, I slid it on some rock shelves. The rear would drag on the springs/mounts first. It is higher in the chassis than the spare tire was. I never managed to hit it. I really used the truck more for loading and unloading trailers and pulling my M715 around than as an off road machine. They were really handy for pulling dead vehicles on and off of trailers. If a guy wanted to get serious about dropping off into the rocks, he would want to skid plate that front one.

They worked pretty slick. Winching off to the side would flex the front bumper, it really was not stout enough for that application. I never had any issues at all with the rear though.

Thanks for the compliment!

That truck got totalled by a nurse that could not tell a red light from a green one. She hit it hard with a Suburban in the driver's door pillar and front axle. Broke the spindle, bent the tie rods, really screwed up the door and cab. I sold it with the mounts and winches in it. I wish I had the front mount back for my current truck!

I thought I would toss them out there for the guys to see and maybe they could use an idea or two or look and improve on their trucks.

91W350

I think if I had the front one to do over, I would use a regular fair lead and that new non-metal winch rope. That would make it flush in the bumper with just a hook hanging. I know I will be building another one for my new truck if I do not pick up a duece or 5 ton.

wanabecruisen

Can you reach the free spool lever? I'm not sure about that winch but many low profile winches have to work against the brake when powering out. OK for short distances but will kill your winch if repeatedly powering out long puls. Otherwise - looks great!

91W350

That was easy to switch to free spool, you just had to reach under the truck to do it. I am too impatient to power out cable. The one thing I did not like was having to lay on the ground and work over my head to spool the cable on straight again. I am not so sure why I always wanted the wraps to be perfect, not many people got to see them. :wink:

Croatan_Kid

Heh....I'm kinda OCD too, so if I ever put my winch under there, I would want to unspool it to wrap it back up all tidy and neat. :roll:

Now I just need to find two winches to mount up under my truck :twisted:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks