• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snorkel idea

roveroverme

Banned
What many people don't realize is the fact that snorkel aren't really made for deep fording. It's more to absorb less dust than there is near the surface.
If you'r want to go into water, which isn't recommended anyway, you'd need a sealed oil dip stick, sealed transmission dipstick , sealed transmission and sealed differential breather.
This would would be game over for a CUCV, like instantly.
http://youtu.be/oJxBb2U-A6I

Last edited:

tim292stro

As long as you don't stall, the exhaust won't be a problem.
And if you do, good luck starting the engine again...

I'm building a snorkel based on two Donaldson parts:

PSD10 Air filter (second from right) = donaldson_psd_filters.jpg
TopSpin Pre-cleaner (second from left) = donaldson_topspin_precleaner.jpg

The Top-Spin pre-cleaner ejects most of the large sand sized stuff before it even gets into the plumbing. The cyclonic stage of the air filter housing get most of the >50 micron dust out (using an exhaust aspirator, and in my case a booster blower), then the volume of the air filter is large enough to do extended service intervals (using an air filter restriction gauge you can tell when it needs to be replaced).

I'm not the only one to think of the snorkel pre-cleaner, many seem to have the same idea (from forum ih8mud, via Google Search):
TopSpin_4Runner.jpg

On of the other benefits of doing a high-mount intake is that the air is usually cooler the higher off the asphalt you source from. I never understood why rice-rockets and some Mustang/Camero owners put "cold air induction" intakes so close to the ground, on a summer day the asphalt can be over 120°F, not exactly "cold air" down there...

Last edited:

Skinny

I believe ARB or Safari sells the cyclonic assembly as an additional option. I've never really seen one on a truck outside of an Australian photo. Probably a massive requirement tearing down dry dirt roads all the time.

Not many people actually produce factual scan tool data to see if a 'cold' air induction is benefial. I would think the factory airbox taking air from the wheel well or behind the headlamp is probably as fresh as you are going to get without some type of external plumbing. I guess someone with stainless tube, a bender, and a supply of colorful cone filters probably made a ton of money back in the 90's when it was cool to hear a 120hp 4 cylinder breath like a angry hornet :)

tim292stro

About as much as an ARB snorkel kit retail price. I paid...

Top-Spin H002433: $176
PSD10 D100031: $380

I'm fabricating my own piping, material cost is around $50... also it requires a HUGE hole in the passenger fender.

Maintenance items:
PSD10 Primary Filter P608676: $75
PSD10 Safety Filter P601560: $40 (replaced at every 3rd primary change)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks