• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snorkel Yet Another

usmcpatriot

Had to get a snorkel, just had to. I pictured parts from Napa for the steel pipe only way to go in my mind. As opposed to pvc. For all the obvious reasons. Precleaner from Donaldson, used. $20.00. Pipes about $80.00 bucks my discount from Napa. Silicone reducer from Home Depot, Heater 3" hose from Napa. RTV silicone, hose clamps. All sealed with silicone and Armour bed liner. Extended both axle valves over the the aircleaner... Just doubled my fording TM height. Electric fan coming next. Marine greased my fuse box engine side....And presto!

Attachments

soulbrojosh

That looks great! Pardon my ignorance...you said that you extended the axle valves over the air cleaner...are talking about breather tubes for the Differentials?

usmcpatriot

Any ideas would be highly appreciated. Nothing special going electric fan, greasing the fuse box, don't want to go swimming just be able to go over the TM limit with confidence.

edpdx

I like the look of a well crafted snorkel. I think I'd put one on if it was really cool in appearance (not dismissing anyone's efforts here) just because they look bad@ss. I'm really not too confident that I'd want to run through deep water just because I have one- guess I'm afraid of all the other things that could go wrong even if the snorkel does everything right. Heck, even Pierce Brosnan almost didn't make it out :neutral:.

usmcpatriot

Thanks CUCVNUT, I did some reading before I installed the snorkel. Salinity of the water is important. I figure if the TM limit is 18 inches with 235/80/16 then with 315/75/16 and with a snorkel will get me fording with 3 feet of still water or slow moving water....better have and not need it, than need it and not have it....what I would like to do is to change out the upper manifold and go with a turbo intake for a tight circular seal...I wish!

usmcpatriot

Really lol! But think about it, a precleaner saves your primary filter, we plan for water....how about volcanic ash!? Heavy particles? If you haven't guessed it I am a prepper aka never know so OVER...

K9Vic

I like the look of a well crafted snorkel. I think I'd put one on if it was really cool in appearance (not dismissing anyone's efforts here) just because they look bad@ss. I'm really not too confident that I'd want to run through deep water just because I have one- guess I'm afraid of all the other things that could go wrong even if the snorkel does everything right. Heck, even Pierce Brosnan almost didn't make it out :neutral:.
:lol::driver: Funny!!

My intentions of installing a snorkel on my 1984 Suburban CUCV clone was not to drive through deep water, but to look really cool and keep water away from the intake when splashing mud puddles. It is very bad to hit water at a high rate of speed as it can fly into the intake and do really bad stuff to the engine. With the snorkel it is much safer to splash the water, but there is always a risk.

usmcpatriot

I agree, so we minimize the risks, just like going into a firefight, plenty of ammo, a sharp knife, some Ar 500, a plan, and a getaway plan ....I live by the coast, in the event of flooding, or a tidal surge, which is not uncommon, I know and pray I am that much more ready....really most of us are ex military, for me thinking this way is like second nature. My wifey laughs at me, but when she needs sugar, oil, rice, and and a ride to the store, because the little Ford Focus won't make it.... when roads are closed, jammed, guess what?. "Honey...will you please get in that green thing she can't get into and go to the store...Honey please!...Like really LAMO!!

llong66

Hi!, I like the fan you have on the pass. side, can you post a few details about it, part #s, where purchased, 12/24v, etc? Thanks!
Snorkel looks GREAT!

usmcpatriot

Funny you should ask about the fan. Loud just like the truck! But she blows. Truck stop, commercial no frills, 12v, chinese made, but of course...Got this one for my points card, at Wilco Hess. Hope this helps:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks