• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snow chains on FMTV tires

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Only on the rear tires. Or just 1 set on the front tandem only will suffice if there is a chain law in effect since you will have your power divider in anyway

If it's heavy heavy snow then you can put them on the steers. But that's not generally needed.

I have autochains I have yet to put on for all of my rear axles.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know this answer?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everybodys got a trick for getting snow chains/ cables off /on the easyest but the only way i could ever keep them on out in the northwest which was the only place i guess they make you use them i kept a box of the med length rubber tarp straps and would double x pattern seemed to work the best for me if i didnt use them they wouldnt be on 5 min stop again over and over . And of coarse the wooden block to put under the inside dual to pull up onto to install/uninstall

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, looks like these include the tension band? Anybody have photos of these installed. Since I have aluminum wheels that have been freshly powder coated, I’d like not to destroy the powder coating. Due to the thickness of the aluminum, there is basically no dish in the wheel, so the outside face of the rim is almost out flush to the sidewall of the tire. So, if these install the way they look on the website on a light truck tire, the metal hooks for the tension band might be on the rim.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My steel rims are powder coated. I doubt you'll have a problem but also just forget about keeping the powder coating perfect anyway - it's going to be GONE around the lug nuts in a hot minute and the wheel half bolts cause damage when installing tires.... powder coating helps to make them easier to clean but it doesn't withstand 450 ft/lbs of lug torque or even the 250 ft/lbs of the wheel half nuts. Fundamentally it's plastic - like laser printer toner that's melted to the wheels. It's gonna come off - you don't have a choice in this. This is an Army truck not a mall crawler. Keep a sharpie around to touch it up.

PXL_20230223_162745151.jpg

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know of a source for cable chains for 395/85 R20’s?
The military-issue chains (not cable chains) are made by Pewag. They are their heavy duty line, such as used on heavy trucks and construction equipment. The links are made of rectangular bar, not round bar, for extra bite, and they crisscross across the tread in an irregular fashion.

Similar to this picture...
1694407098381.png

I looked to see if I could find the part number, but couldn't. Even my receipt from when I bought them off eBay a few years back didn't say. Mine are currently crated up at the moment, so I can't look at the bag either. This website might help... https://dpequip.net/shop/uncategori...5-85r20-oshkosh-1887700-atli-sk07s-fmtv-mrap/

UPDATE: I just found a note that I wrote for myself that says "Pewag catalog says it should be A07SV, but NSN 2540-01-483-2930 is the A08SV. These are the heavy duty ASV chains." I've attached a copy of the 2016 Pewag catalog, too. I knew I had this stuff written down somewhere... I spent so much time figuring it out, that I never wanted to have to do it again, haha.

Pewag A08SV Chains 6.jpg
Pewag A08SV Chains 9.jpg
Pewag Snow Chains 785135-352x500.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just remember on some occasions parts of these chain/cables break/come loose and swinging chains/cables usally destroys all kinds of things /anything it can reach ! Its like a very deadly weed eater they usally take air lines/airbags out quickly and rape the side of the vehicle theyre on so you cant put enough tarp straps on them to try to avoid them coming off at 40 mph ! Never put on a set of chains/cables to get into a mess just to get out of a mess !

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My steel rims are powder coated. I doubt you'll have a problem but also just forget about keeping the powder coating perfect anyway - it's going to be GONE around the lug nuts in a hot minute and the wheel half bolts cause damage when installing tires.... powder coating helps to make them easier to clean but it doesn't withstand 450 ft/lbs of lug torque or even the 250 ft/lbs of the wheel half nuts. Fundamentally it's plastic - like laser printer toner that's melted to the wheels. It's gonna come off - you don't have a choice in this. This is an Army truck not a mall crawler. Keep a sharpie around to touch it up.

View attachment 905678
Yes, I understand all of that, but no point in tearing it if it can be avoided by making a smart choice in the chains I buy.:)

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just remember on some occasions parts of these chain/cables break/come loose and swinging chains/cables usally destroys all kinds of things /anything it can reach ! Its like a very deadly weed eater they usally take air lines/airbags out quickly and rape the side of the vehicle theyre on so you cant put enough tarp straps on them to try to avoid them coming off at 40 mph ! Never put on a set of chains/cables to get into a mess just to get out of a mess !
These are only for emergencies when I get caught in weather and have to chain up. My pickup date for the truck is October 7th, then driving it all the way from the east coast to California, so multiple mountain passes to deal with and there can be weather in mid October.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are only for emergencies when I get caught in weather and have to chain up. My pickup date for the truck is October 7th, then driving it all the way from the east coast to California, so multiple mountain passes to deal with and there can be weather in mid October.
What city to what city ? When u bring your truck home ! If you come across 80 and its snowing on the pass at salt lake take the 84 split up to ogdon then back down 15 to 80 at salt lake and avoid that one and if by chance its snowing at the Ca. line give it a few hours for the plows to clean it up and save your money you will need a couple of mounted good spare tires and wood blocks and 12 ton bottle jack alot worse than u will ever need snow equipment ! If only i could get snowed in at RENO that would be great ! You can have alot of fun in Reno ! And your darn sure not gona need chains in palo alto lol !

Last edited:

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its just a little over 100 miles further to come down 81 to 40 to barstow and across 58 to 5 and you wont see mtns or snow in oct
Its just a little over 100 miles further to come down 81 to 40 to barstow and across 58 to 5 and you wont see mtns or snow in oct
Thanks, thinking we might go that way. Ordered the cable chains earlier this morning on Amazon, then talked to my buddy and decided we’d go this way, Cancelled the order an hour after ordering them and got a message that it was too late to cancel the order, which seems like a stretch since the estimated delivery is the 29th - 4th. Oh well, if I decide I want a different type I can return them. Still nothing back from Hutchinson’s distributor on the CTI nuts, so the aluminum wheels might be riding home in the bed, I suppose I could get some caps for the CTI studs and disconnect the CTIS controller.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks