• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snow-Deuce (Chesuncook Lake, Maine)

Katahdin

Does anyone here have any information about this "Snowmobile-Deuce"? I found the picture online. I'm actually heading up to Chesuncook village two weekends from now on a kayak trip, I'd love to get a closer look!

My best guess is its used to haul heating oil and kerosene across the lake in winter for the lodge and camps there.

snow-deuce (Medium).jpg

dilligaf13

That truck is the definition of a homemade redneck rig. Those look like custom made tracks on the rear and the front skis are homemade out of 1/2" plate secured using load binders.

dmetalmiki

Well somebody is making full (and good) use of that deuce. The truck lives on. If you do catch up with it, post some more information and pictures.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I assume that the front axle cannot engage and make the tires rotate. It looks like it would be very easy for those metal skis to dig in and bring the whole thing to a halt. I bet steering it would be a bear too.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A steel soldier out in KS had a set of deuce tracks for sale awhile back. Factory tracks are out there, but I've never seen front skis. Looks like fun.

V8srfun

I agree the skis look like they would get lodged in the ground and cause major problems. If I was th do something like that I would have curved the front of the skis like a snowmobile so you would not have to worry about them digging in. But the tracks look really cool and quite useful.

Katahdin

The only way into this lodge/village in winter is either by lake over thick ice or groomed snowmobile trails on unplowed paper/timber company roads, so not much risk of lodging the ski's into something if the operator stays on course. The area is remote by most standards, completely off the grid and 50 miles from a paved road. Think the "American Loggers" tv show. I found more pictures of a M105 rigged with a fuel pump to gas up snowmobiles, a deuce tanker, and a M939 supposedly all owned by the same family that owns the lodge and a nearby campground so I think we found a MV collector. I'm wondering if the owner is a member here, in any event I'll try to contact the lodge today and find out more!

bigugh20

I looked at a deuce for sale many years back that had a set of tracks that looked very similar if not the same. I was told by the seller that he had purchased them from a surplus dealer in Ga. and that they were in fact APC tracks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks