• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snow in Austin

Barrman

We are getting it here now Sam. My students are arguing about how much we are going to get. I plan to have fun driving the M715 in it to Scouts tonight since it likes to slide around.

Pawnshop

I already have Pinky's hubs locked in for the trip home tonight, they say the current temp is 32 and "they" are predicting a sharp drop in the next few hours, should be fun!

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here we have 3" of snow and climbing. Its due to end shortly...but its going to be in the low 20's so its going to stay and ice. :p

saddamsnightmare

February 23rd, 2010.

Pawnshop:

At least YOUR deuce has a cab heater and defroster, you oughta try to run one in snow without cab heat when the snow's falling hard. Every half mile or so you gotta stop and clear the winshields cause the wipers aren't removing it and its all white.... kinda like being Robin Williams in a celestial pillow fight! This too, will pass.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:cool:

Pawnshop

I sort of have cab heat, I believe the thermostat is stuck open so the motor never really gets above 180, so there isn't much heat generated in the cab. The truck doesn't even get over 180 in the summer, so I am not complaining too much (we have a LOT more summer than winter)

I drove Volkswagen Type 1s for 10 years, I know all about trying to keep ice off of a cold, flat windshield with lethargic wipers that don't work well, all with NO cabin heat... somehow a VW windshield collects ice faster than any other surface known to man!

Skycop

Lol, I was in a class at DPS when the white stuff started falling. They booted us out before 1700 to avoid traffic and I don't have to be in until 1000 tomorrow. TO bad it didn't stick here in New Braunfels.

jimharris

It sleeted for a few minutes and there were a few snowflakes seen here in San Antonio, but nothing stuck.

While I love seeing snow, I also kinda dread it. People dont know how to drive on it, and this city sucks wind when they shut all the highways down to keep the idiots driving 60 on ice while gabbing on their cell phones.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To put this in perspective for all you folks who spend half the year anywhere from ankle-deep, through chest-deep and on into "I can't see over the top of the white stuff..", Central Texas has only seen snow in February 15 times since 1858! I, for one, missed most of those.

So it is actually cause for excitement locally, and at least some excuse for the locals to be clueless on how to drive in it. It does not explain why the basic concept of "slow down when the road is nasty" fails to take over....aua

Cheers

Pawnshop

The Yankees driving like the roads are dry are the main problem, in my opinion. Just because having only 1" of snow on the ground means it's springtime in New York, does not mean you can drive 60 in a wet 40 zone, and expect not to stuff it into a Texan driving 30 because the snow/ice scares them...:rant:

The Janiter

It never ceases to amaze me how water or snow of any depth terrify s some people and others it brings out more stupidity.

I was raised in the Pacific N.W. and every year we had up to 3' of snow - we went to school - work - every thing you do every day that's sunny - just more slowly and carefully.

You were taught to Drive a car not just operate it. And we put chains or spiked snow tires on in Nov.

Here in L.R. No one thinks about what "BLACK ICE" is and away they go.

When I lived in Dallas and it snowed we went to a restaurant on the fifth floor of a building on LBJ freeway at Preston Rd. and watched people navigate the freeways - no wonder the body shops have so much business.

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

FEBRUARY 24TH, 2010.

Gents:
Unfortunately, North East Texas is not the place to keep up your driving in snow competancies, but it is always gratifying to watch the southerners from the flatlands slide off the road into the blackland or sand fields when they forget to: 1: let off the gas when the spinning starts, or 2): let off the brakes when the sliding starts........ I can tow them out of just about anwhere with either the Unimog or the deuce, but when the snow flies the Unimog generally gets the duty because it has cab heat and a defroster. You would be amazed how few people around here know what a defroster is, how to operate it, and what it's really designed for....!
Likely I'll get the cab heater in the deuce and then get assigned to the Pacific (as in American Samoa):-D, Fort Benning (as in Georgia)8), or somewhere where snow never flies. OR if my luck holds true to form, I'll get exiled to Alaska, Massachusetts or somewhere where winter is more then 6 months of the year.....:(

Oh, well, it's time to get the hit men out after a certain groundhog....Wonder if the Texans have a barbeque receipt that covers groundhog?

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

Blackice is like blackrail on the railroad, the usual control techniques almost never work if your speed is too high. What I love are the fools who leave their sprinkler systems on so they can create their own little version of "Swan Lake".....!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Pawnshop

The only heat I use in my M1009 is the defroster, warm windshields are a wonderful thing:)

Snow is not so tough to drive in, ICE however is not possible without special equipment, and chains or spiked tires are not so common in Central Texas...

BTW: I'm pretty sure groundhog is all dark meat, cook accordingly.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks