• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snow pic A3 with frozen parking brake

King

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgI didn't even make it out of the driveway for about an hour! The silly parking brake was frozen solid, but at first I simply thought I had lost reverse, forward had enough force to overtake the stuck brake but reverse could not. Well smacking the brake with a 2x4 didn't work, so I put the heat gun on it! Note: just because you put out the blocks does not mean the truck will not role! So I had to jump in the cab and mash the brakes Down to keep from making a new exit through the front lawn! The snow prevented the blocks from gripping and we're just pushed by the tire. Lesson learned.

daytonatrbo

I didn't even make it out of the driveway for about an hour! The silly parking brake was frozen solid, but at first I simply thought I had lost reverse, forward had enough force to overtake the stuck brake but reverse could not. Well smacking the brake with a 2x4 didn't work, so I put the heat gun on it! Note: just because you put out the blocks does not mean the truck will not role! So I had to jump in the cab and mash the brakes Down to keep from making a new exit through the front lawn! The snow prevented the blocks from gripping and we're just pushed by the tire. Lesson learned.
I find, even on a normal day, if the truck is trying to roll backwards, the parking brake wants to bind tighter. I have to clutch out in first to get it to let go.

KaiserM109

I remember back to when I was learning to drive, way back when it wasn't unusual to see a crank sticking out of a bumper, my dad told me to "NEVER set the emergency brake (parking brake today) in the winter!"

I'm chuckling about your experience with a wheel chock on a slick surface; been there, done that. Glad you got the brake mashed in time or I wouldn't be laughing.

PS I never trust a parking brake, mostly because some types only set one shoe and the vehicle can still role backwards. With my M923 I always chock the wheels when I park it.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks