• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snow Picture

alphadeltaromeo

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
I have four carosells of slides from the making of the Alaska Highway during WW II my uncle was an engineer on the project the views are just breathtaking. I know much of that is in Canada but I am still trying to find someone in Alaska that would like copies of them for historical purposes. Love your pictures take care and have fun in the cold.
Why not have viewpixmedia.com convert them to a digital format, HD even.

Andy

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some pictures of my 1965 Unimog radio truck and several friend's 404's. We are in route to Mt Evans, 14,250 ft summit in Colorado, to the Denver University Observatory up there on the top. We have done these trips for several years to allow the Univ crew to service their snow-bound equipment. Sometimes we make it, sometimes we don't, but we always try. That included manual chopping of snow and ice to give the trucks a place to stay on the side of the mountain. A serious mistake would send a truck thousands of feet down the talus slope.

Attachments

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
I have four carosells of slides from the making of the Alaska Highway during WW II my uncle was an engineer on the project the views are just breathtaking. I know much of that is in Canada but I am still trying to find someone in Alaska that would like copies of them for historical purposes. Love your pictures take care and have fun in the cold.

PM sent.

Ruppster
1985 M1009

rockman

Super Dave, your M37 looks fantastic. The hybird winter camo looks sharp. How does it ride on those tires? Do you get good traction with the XLs?

Bill

WOR

Superdave

Hello Rockman

The tires have great traction as well as run great on the highway. The camo was installed on a large portion of the Canaidian M37 and the M152's in the early 70's by the military but unsure if it was winter specific or a regular camo sceme. Here is a picture of my iltis with the same tires.

Attachments

M-37Bruce

Door Mats

SpruceDeuce said:
wow you guys sure live in what i think the best place on earth

i have been to alaska 4 times to fish for salmon and go out on charter boats for hallibut and ling cod

here is a picture of the two biggest halibut i have caught 89 and 90 lb.
Nice fish!

mutt_kahuna

snow pics

So who says it doesnt snow in the desert?...this particular year our area had record snowfall..at our cities elevation (4400 ft) we got over 4 FEET and the foothills got between 5-7 FEET...the mountains 30 miles away got 10-15 FEET all from a 2.5 day storm!..felt adventurous so I took my M151 out to play..only 1 foot at this time....and it's true..military tread tires SUCK in the snow!!

Attachments