• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

snow play time

jw4x4

Make sure you get a Snatch-n-strap. One that stretches one third of its length. Most "tow" straps do not stretch, and you might as well be using a chain.

Anubis8472

Do me a favor?
Send some of it up here?

We got almost 2" on Christmas eve.
That's it so far this winter.

What's the use of being so cold if you don't get to play in the snow.

212sparky

Do me a favor?
Send some of it up here?

I have 12 plus inches falling on my job site today. If you have a csx rail siding, I will load rail cars from our 100 acre site and send it your way. Just pay freight. :D time to fire up the boilers to start melting this stuff, since we dont have room for the giant piles if snow.

Last edited:

DieselBob

I have 12 plus inches falling on my job site today. If you have a csx rail siding, I will load rail cars from our 100 acre site and send it your way. Just pay freight. :D
GEEEZ what a tease. Now where did I put that spike hammer. I got some track to lay....:smile: Wish you could send some this way all we had was sleet this a.m. and now rain through the evening

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do me a favor?
Send some of it up here?

You should be good to go soon, 4-6" so far here East of Woodward.

rsh4364

only ended up with about 6 inches but still blowing over night so might be some challenges in am,loved driving in 4wd for first time,but heard a few disturbing sounds,first one is mild clunk when steering turned hard coming from pass. side frnt corner..thinking u-joint..the more disturbing one is if i brake hard something seems to grind up front on drivers side...no idea..any help ?

emr

Drive with the vehicle in mind, as cool as it is, it is an antique, have fun, stop and let things engage and disengage, these old trucks need tlc. they need the bearings packed, the wheel cylinders and brakes checked, and the fluids in diffs and transfer case checked and more than likely changed, They are chevy blazers, not tactical vehicle's, very cool but not super trucks, enjoy it for what it is is my advise. All the best

jw4x4

Rsh- the mild clunk when steering hard could be the axle joint, or the lockout hub. The grind under braking could be worn-out brakes or wheel bearings. It should be torn down and inspected, otherwise more damage ($$) is likely to occur. Enjoy your new toy and take it easy on the ol' girl until you have all of the issues addressed.

rsh4364

Im 21 yrs. older than the 1009, so believe me I take it easy on the girl.haha,my brakes and fluids all good,This grinding noise has me concerned.It does not happen in 2wd,does not happen when accelerating in 4wd.only time it happens is when on snow or ice when braking and wheel and tire are locked up and sliding,which only happened twice yesterday.Its almost like tire not moving but axle is turning and grinding something..Im confused as it goes down the road so well in both 2wd and 4wd..Should I go out put it in 4wd apply brake and push go pedal and see what happens ? It really runs great but that noise concerns me it sounded serious,any thoughts..

rsh4364

guys this is not a normal sound,its not my first 4wd and im a car type person so i kinda know when somethings not quite right,Ill try and get it to do same thing tommorow in a slippery parking lot with an observor ,Thanks for input guys

rsh4364

just went out a tried to get it to do same sound no luck,which is good, I guess, gonna order new lockoutsand repack all bearings..thanks guys..sounded bad after running few hrs.but fine after just idleing for half hr.so prob. grease breaking down, im so relieved.. or maybe it was the lock-outs needed turned a few more times?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks