• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snow plow, Boss 10’ V install

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all,
Yesterday I picked up the plow I had been looking for. It’s a Boss DXT, 10’ V. The plow truck I was using last year is no longer available and I don’t care to go back to my open ROPS tractor where I can bury myself in snow with the blower in about 20 seconds.

I got the plow from a municipal road agent that was done with it. I got all the electrical wiring and vehicle side mount. Once home I laid it all out, hooked up power and almost everything seems to function. There may be one circuit that’s not working, but there is pretty good corrosion that needs to be cleaned up on the relay pack.

I put it up close to the truck to see where it needs to be. As it sits in the picture you can just see the tops of the plow end markers. Now onto fabrication of the truck side mount.

BF7012B5-D2EC-4474-8DCF-BD86A3D16AA1.jpeg

INFChief

Hey all,
Yesterday I picked up the plow I had been looking for. It’s a Boss DXT, 10’ V. The plow truck I was using last year is no longer available and I don’t care to go back to my open ROPS tractor where I can bury myself in snow with the blower in about 20 seconds.

I got the plow from a municipal road agent that was done with it. I got all the electrical wiring and vehicle side mount. Once home I laid it all out, hooked up power and almost everything seems to function. There may be one circuit that’s not working, but there is pretty good corrosion that needs to be cleaned up on the relay pack.

I put it up close to the truck to see where it needs to be. As it sits in the picture you can just see the tops of the plow end markers. Now onto fabrication of the truck side mount.

View attachment 877456
Would love to see how it’s mounted at all points on your truck.

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah me too! It’s mixed in with a bunch of other work so it won’t happen super quick. As far as mounting it I’m hanging it off the front tow points, that’s easy, from there the options aren’t great. The tow points will take the weight from hanging it but obviously won’t take any force of plowing. So for that problem it gets complicated. There is no easy access to the bottom of the frame behind the bumper, it’s blocked by springs and other stuff. So two solutions come to mind. Drop a plate down from the frame, that would be almost 2’ tall, or the other option I can see is to brace to the front axle with links. Neither seems great. I’d like to see the army’s solution to this problem. More to come.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a bit of time to mess around with the plow project today. I started making up the mount by cutting down the factory truck side brackets to make them flat end plates. This way I can keep the up/down adjustment holes. Then I grabbed some 2x4” metal I had that looked just about right for the task. The front drop mount tubes are now tacked to the factory mount. It’s hard to tell if I have enough clearance for the plow to raise all the way while in the v-position at the moment.

With the plow set up in the first picture, from the drivers seat you can just see the top 2” of each plow “whisker”. The plow is really tight to the truck/front wheels. Which is what I’m going for. I don’t want it 8’ out front. I’m not plowing mall parking lots.

So I’ll see if I can attach the plow and try and raise it to check clearance.C641BD3F-C02F-4DEC-BFC2-6C8F8323E868.jpegD50164FD-6A69-4BD1-9D37-212C956134E6.jpeg

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, been working on firewood production. Along with building another woodshed. I should be back to it in a couple weeks. I did get a few new parts for the plow. I’m also waiting on a heavy duty wire crimper for the power cables….. though it may just be an excuse to buy another tool.

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got back to working on the plow setup. A few days ago I routed the plow wiring. I’m very thankful that the Boss plow systems are marginally intrusive as opposed to the fisher setups that tie into everything. So the wiring is in place but not wired in.
Coincidentally after routing wires the truck wouldn’t start, completely dead. Found corroded washers under the battery terminal connections on the battery switch. I fixed that and the truck starts amazingly fast now!!!

I had a day to work in the shop cleaning up and had time to fabricate the plow brackets that I need. They are made out of 3/8” plate to marry to the frame, then cut over with 1/2” plate between frame and spring then drop down. This will be tied together by a 3”x8” boxed tubing to which the plow frame will brace to.261EA5CA-BE99-4017-AFA4-A22F0B2A0021.jpeg28306BB1-0080-4895-A91C-488AA0B87C15.jpeg

Last edited:

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it finally happened. I caught up on enough other stuff to finish up (almost) the plow installation on my truck. There is still the light wiring to do, and one bracket needs clearance on the coolant pipe. I just gave it a very slow ride down the driveway and it moves plenty of snow……and dirt. The driveway isn’t frozen through yet. Here are a few pictures for ya.0DA9ABC7-E48B-471D-9F88-3CFE63D675E1.jpeg6D6D197B-E10B-44BA-B30B-F51F68F7059A.jpeg4933A322-DA99-4D40-BC2E-B07E4BFB32BD.jpeg92B32784-E3B6-4CD5-B41A-B41C5B0224B2.jpeg8CF962AC-D469-4E02-AB16-DD1EB424D324.jpeg

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, yeah…. So the plow when in “V” position will just contact the bumper when fully raised. It was very hard to judge when it was going to end up when I was putting it together. I might just trim the plow “X” brace where it contacts, it won’t take much. I was much more concerned with the plow ending up 8’ forward of the truck. I really didn’t want that, it would make maneuvering much harder in tight spaces.