• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snow plow setup

JarheadMtn

Have you thought about welding up a framework in front of the gooseneck on top of the frame rails about 6 inches high with a bottom, place in some wire mesh and then fill it with wet concrete? It should get you plenty of weight and keep it low so you can tow. It would also keep the weight centered between the front and back. Where is your snow? We have a couple of feet.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yea I looked at making a steel box to bolt to the frame tabs and using rebard and then pouring concrete in it but it was going to be 300+ for all the steel and concrete. So the cology block will woirk for the price and even has the rebar hook so I can get it off when not needed. I mean I might have to make a cross bar welded in for front suppor. For 90 and ill I gotta do is pick and drop its worth it. Jersey barriers at 10' and 4k were 300$

JarheadMtn

There are some very old trucks at one of the wrecking yards here in town that have boxes on the frames and they just filled them with rocks. Amazing how they resolved problems back then. One of the trucks is an old military model, not sure of what model and need to make a trip back out there one of these days to see what all he has there.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
yeah well we dont have much snow. we got 8 inches one day but it was 50 degrees for like a week afterwards so its gone for right now. which is nice cause im doing my motor swap.

joshuaz223

to get around the plow width restrictions what i did was make two 9" extensions that slid into mounts on each end of the plow. i used 2" square tube and receiver like mounts on the plow. i had mounts further in on the plow to mount the extensions when not in use. that was on an f550 dump that was used to plow commercially for years. it may not sound like a lot but 18" more width makes a huge difference. if you have any questions just ask and i could explain it better.

JarheadMtn

Did you get the new engine in yet? We have been pretty warm the last couple of weeks and it finally started snowing a little this afternoon. I haven't had a chance to snowmobile up the mountain and see if I can fix the other snowplow on the truck that is stuck up there. Hopefully this weekend I can get up there before it gets too deep.

saquishmike

I just found this thread and was wondering how you made out . This winter we had one plowable storm. This is one of my plow trucks that I am selling . I did add a counter weight on the 5th wheel and changed over to 11R24.5 tires . The air pistion worked great all these years

spicergear

I bought a gas REO on time that had a plow mount on it and in the above pics there that lower front brace runs under the axle...these knuckleheads welded it DIRECTLY to the axle and couldn't figure out why it kept breaking loose. Eventually they broke the short axleshaft (like I said, knuckleheads!!!) and scrapped the truck. I was quite impressed with the UNginuity!!! Poor ole REO.

capn_r

Is there a chance that any of the Kalispell plow setups still exist? I tried pm'ing the original poster and got back a message that his pm box was full. Thanks!

Vintage iron

I think something really bad happened to the orginal poster. He was buying a fuel tank from me and I called his house. His wife answered and said he had a bad accident. I haven't seen him on here since. I hope he is ok!

capn_r

I think something really bad happened to the orginal poster. He was buying a fuel tank from me and I called his house. His wife answered and said he had a bad accident. I haven't seen him on here since. I hope he is ok!
I hope he is okay as well. Are there any other members in the area that may have contact information for the person that has / had the above mentioned plows? Thanks!

JarheadMtn

I was going to buy some tires from him and he said that his mother was sick in Tennesse. He left and I have not heard from him. His wife did message me several months ago when she was coming up to Kalispell for the day, but I got the message to late and she had already left. I don't know if he has anything left in Montana or if its in Tennesse. I never got a phone number and had no other way of contacting him or his wife.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks