• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snow?!

DatGuyC

Couple years ago we got a pretty decent snow, it was awesome. Helped a few stuck people and even pulled a good sized flatbed tow truck up a steep hill when he couldn't make it on his own.

20160123_071637.jpg
20160123_182214.jpg
20160123_122943.jpg

DocThrock

Did the heater generate enough heat to keep you warm?
That's one of the things I was curious about. Canvas versus hard top?

Mine had decent heat on the passenger side when it was about 40 outside. But now it's way below freezing and it looks like the snow is here to stay for quite a while (unusual in Indiana). Curious about many characteristics of the HMMWV in snow and on ice. I would think it should be sure footed. But how does it slide and stop?

Last edited:

Dock Rocker

That's one of the things I was curious about. Canvas versus hard top?

Mine had decent heat on the passenger side when it was about 40 outside. But now it's way below freezing and it looks like the snow is here to stay for quite a while (unusual in Indian). Curious about many characteristics of the HMMWV in snow and on ice. I would think it should be sure footed. But how does it slide and stop?
On the heater have you flushed out the heater core? My last truck would run you out of it when it was on high.

Also make sure that the cable going to the valve is actually opening the coolant valve and allowing all of the hot coolant to flow through the heater core. If it’s just barely opening the valve then you will not get much heat. It’s easy to check. It’s on the passenger firewall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

911joeblow

I can drive in 3' of snow. Of course is it Utah snow and not that heavy stuff you guys back east get. I run dual heaters (front and back) and can basically turn winter to summer in 5 mins ;)

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had mine at Haspin (off roading place in IN) in the snow today and my back tires aren't great but I was really disappointed in it on the hills, both going up and sliding down. I had no traction.

It is much more capable in the dirt and mud.

Dock Rocker

I had mine at Haspin (off roading place in IN) in the snow today and my back tires aren't great but I was really disappointed in it on the hills, both going up and sliding down. I had no traction.

Did you air the tires down? That makes a world of difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Having the right tires is the key with snow, tall, narrow and aggressive that cleans out. The wider the tire the more they want to plug up and build up snow in front of them.

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, tires were aired down but traction was not good. There is a video of my truck in action in the upcoming events forum under Haspin Dec 30th, page 7. It took several tries to get over that little hill.

Last edited:

DatGuyC

Did the heater generate enough heat to keep you warm?
Yep I've never had a problem with the heater but my soft top seals pretty well.

I have an almost new set of Goodyear MT/R's on the truck and never had a problem with traction in the snow and didn't air them down any. I have noticed that the rear is easy to lose traction when relatively hard braking though. I have a rear bumper, tire carrier, and tire on the back and figure that adds about 350-400lb to the rear and it will still lock the rear tires up easily in the right conditions, can only imagine that a stock truck without the extra weight is worse.

Last edited:

teteacher101

I have the stock tires on mine and I'm impressed with how much snow it can go through, but the thick clay mud we have in my area the tires absolutely suck in-its pathetic honestly.

teteacher101

Its been really cold here the last few days (-20 currently) an it warmed up to a balmy 0 the other day an I started the old girl up without plugging the block heater in-she didn't like it and fought me a little but it did fire up. :) I had put an antigel in the fuel an let it idle outside for a couple of hours while I worked in my garage, then me an my youngest son ran to town in it. With the stock heater an wearing a coat, hat, an gloves it was a little drafty but not uncomfortable. :)

teteacher101

Yes, tires were aired down but traction was not good. There is a video of my truck in action in the upcoming events forum under Haspin Dec 30th, page 7. It took several tries to get over that little hill.
The stock tires are pretty slick on typical snowy/icey roads. I've thought about having the tires siped, there is a place that does it for like $10 a tire but they are 45 minutes from where I live-I think that would help a lot for typical winter driving anyway. I've also thought about putting extra grooves in the tire tread as I think that would help with mud-an snow for that matter even though I'm happy with how it goes through the snow.

ikoinu

Studs. I was just in Montana for the holiday, didn't have the 998 there but if I did, I'd stud the tires. Get another set with rims for $600, one for snow, the other not.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Studs. I was just in Montana for the holiday, didn't have the 998 there but if I did, I'd stud the tires. Get another set with rims for $600, one for snow, the other not.
It's kind of ironic the michigan has some of the worst roads in the nation and way back in the early 1970's the banned studs and tire chains on publc roads because of them damaging the roads.

ikoinu

It's kind of ironic the michigan has some of the worst roads in the nation and way back in the early 1970's the banned studs and tire chains on publc roads because of them damaging the roads.
You guys get a lot of it up there. During the winter in higher elevation Montana, you can't even see the roads, just hardpack.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys get a lot of it up there. During the winter in higher elevation Montana, you can't even see the roads, just hardpack.
The west side of the lower peninsula gets hammered with lake effect snow , Gaylord averages about 140-150 inches a year. Houghton in the western UP averages 200-210 inches a year . Last week in the Porcupine Mountains in western Up they a one day snowfall of 53 inches.

Some pictures of years ago of Mancelona Mi ( i hunt up there)

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks