• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snowing, Power Out and MEP003A running again

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The snow is really coming down here in Hiawassee, GA. We are now up to 5-1/2 inches and getting deeper. I lost power from Blue Ridge Mountain EMC about two hours ago and have been running on the MEP003A for about two hours now. These gensets are great. As always, started right up. I don't know how long we will be out of power, but I have plenty of diesel in my two deuces fuel tanks and tractors. The temp isn't bad, it has warmed up to 30 deg F.

Dock Rocker

We have quite a bit of white death (snow) on the ground here in MS. Thankfully we still have power but I think I will take the opportunity to go see how she cranks in the cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dock Rocker

Well I hit the glow plugs and after a little spinning and some white smoke she come to life! Let her run for 15 min and tucked her away again.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Power has been out over 7 hours now and the temp is supposed to be down to 24 deg F. tonight. The MEP003A is running at about 45% load and keeping the house warm. We now have over 7 inches of snow and another 3 - 5 inches is expected tonight. I get colder and more snow where I'm located due to the higher altitude where my house is located.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Power is now back on so the genset can now rest. Apparently, a transformer exploded causing the power outage.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Woke up this morning freezing in bed. EMC power went back out again last night. They replaced the faulty transformer yesterday so I don't know what the problem is today. We had more snow last night, currently ~10 inches and still snowing. Maybe a tree came down on a line. I'm located way back in the woods surrounded by National Forest, so all kinds of possibilities exist. Anyway, I started the MEP003A this morning and the house is warming up again. I think I'll start up one of my deuces and go exploring for a downed power line.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always an adventure. Life is good! Just started snowing up here in northern Va. Going to get out the 5 ton. Head out to the mall since I sent the wife to work to cover for me. Need to finish up her XMAS shopping with the kids! Like a fool sold my gen set for good money but now they sell for crazy $$.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The generator is still running. A total of 41 hours now of almost continuous use. Although the MEP003A has never used any oil, I'm going to shut down for a few minutes this morning and check the oil. It got down to 18 deg F last night, so the generator was most appreciated. My neighbors don't have generators, but many heat with propane heaters. I'm total electric with a geothermal heat pump. With my generator powering the whole house, you would never know we were on generator power except for the VERY loud generator noise. That noise sounds good, even to my wife, when the power is out! There are 13,203 Blue Ridge Mountain EMC members without power presently. :-D:-D:-D

Dock Rocker

The generator is still running. A total of 41 hours now of almost continuous use. Although the MEP003A has never used any oil, I'm going to shut down for a few minutes this morning and check the oil. It got down to 18 deg F last night, so the generator was most appreciated. My neighbors don't have generators, but many heat with propane heaters. I'm total electric with a geothermal heat pump. With my generator powering the whole house, you would never know we were on generator power except for the VERY loud generator noise. That noise sounds good, even to my wife, when the power is out! There are 13,203 Blue Ridge Mountain EMC members without power presently. :-D:-D:-D
So you are saying having a plan in place and exciting it when bad things happen is a good idea.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm glad the snow and ice here in NC didn't take the power out. The sun is shining this morning so we should be out of trouble till the next event.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just made a run to town in my deuce to get more diesel fuel. The highways are completely clear and dry, but I'm way back in the woods and the road to my place still has much snow and a lot of thick ice. I still can't get my F250 4 X 4 out but my M35 has no problem.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Power just came back on and shut the MEP003A down after ~47 hours of mostly continuous operation. No oil consumption. I just hope the power stays on.