• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So am I nucking futz or not?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rattlehead said:
If you're driving around in your back yard with a deuce, hopefully you don't mind ruts, even if its fairly dry. Hope its a decent sized yard so you can maneuver. Turning radius is not very good, even IF you have power steering.
You're right about that...to turn back my dirt road to get home, I've had to hit the turn twice each time now...I think the turning radius is somewhere just short of that of the USS Ronald Regan. :razz:

saddamsnightmare

August 5,2009.

Michigandon;

The gate ain't gonna work...a 10 or 12' gate is preferable. If you can locate used 95+% tread tires they are about $100.00 each, get M+S not NDT's or you will develop a new religious attitude in the winter on pavement. The NDT and NDCC's are poor mud tires and worse on snow or ice on pavement, Chains can help, but they will shake your teeth out. In West Virginia the loggers used to convert to 1100R20 load range "H" M+S Radials and it does much to keep you from seeing what's down in the bottom of the holler when you started out many feet higher on the road! Berg Tire in Fayetteville, NC can do much to getting you set up, and if you get the 1100R20's in the right load range, you can reverse your rear hubs (all 4 of them) and single her out.... it makes the deuce a much more loveable off road truck (almost as good as an S404.114 Unimog- I know, I own both).

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGogan

N.B> THE 406 and 408 Unimogs were diesel, I belive, and they can be fitted with a front end loader, or just go whole hog and get an SEE from GL! If you fit the S404.114's with an electronic ignition and new distributer cap, they become a whole lot more reliable then the stock military units.....

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to use a kubota diesel powered hydrostatic drive riding mower at the Boy Scout Camp where I worked in the 90's. So they are out there...

Air assist is for really wimpy people- My wife drives our 109 just fine. Sure she has to hang on the wheel at a dead stop, but you just drive it like anyother non-power steering vehicle. You turn the wheels when the vehicle is moving.

Attachments

BugEyeBear

You're right about that...to turn back my dirt road to get home, I've had to hit the turn twice each time now...I think the turning radius is somewhere just short of that of the USS Ronald Regan. :razz:
:ditto:
On my XM211 Deuce I need to start the 90-degree turn into my driveway about 10 feet sooner than I do in my "normal" car.
After almost taking out the fence on two occasions I now do this turn-in at SIGNIFICANTLY slower speeds than one would consider normal.

OH & No Air Assist on my steering.
Eliminates the need to go to the gym! :jumpin:

3-point-turns will become VERY Familiar.....

Regarding your 8' fence opening, just drive the Duece back there & IMAGINE that your opening is 10' wide. Before you know it you'll have PLENTY of room for the next time. ("Fence?? What fence??") :doh:

"Cheers!"
-Bear-

michigandon

I used to use a kubota diesel powered hydrostatic drive riding mower at the Boy Scout Camp where I worked in the 90's. So they are out there...
Already got one! Unfortunately I'm still stuck with the spark ignition push mower for trimming though

BTW you've got an awesome screen name. :wink: Good to see there's at least one other railfan on this board! Do you have any pictures of that M1008 with the HyRail gear in your sig? Somewhere around here I've actually got a video that has a Jeep set up like the one in your avatar in operation (Ex-motorcar operator/NARCOA member here).

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
michigandon,

I want to see a better picture of that Yanmar in the background. What model is it? I've got an F175D. And I have a 5 ft tiller, that looks a lot like the one in your picture there, only not in as good of condition and red still

michigandon

michigandon,

I want to see a better picture of that Yanmar in the background. What model is it? I've got an F175D. And I have a 5 ft tiller, that looks a lot like the one in your picture there, only not in as good of condition and red still
It's a YM1610D, procured from the highly-recommended Little Miami Trading Company. I have it on eBay at the moment and if it sells part of those funds might be going towards procurement of a Deuce:

Yanmar YM1610d 4x4 compact diesel tractor powershift - eBay (item 190325333785 end time Aug-09-09 15:27:42 PDT)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know a pickup truck will go through it with plenty of room to spare on each side. I do realize that doesn't necessarily mean that a Deuce will however.
Well my Dodge pickup will not fit through a 8' gate. I'd measure it to make sure it's only 8'. My basement door is 9' wide and I only have about 3" to spare on each side with the mirrors. A deuce is right at 8' if you don't count the mirrors. If the gate is lower than the mirrors then anything over 8' should work if you are carefull.

Blood_of_Tyrants

The beds are the widest portion at about 8 feet, if you don't count the mirrors. Good NDT's are pretty good since you will have 13,000 lbs sitting on top of them. If you drive the truck a lot, the air assist is worth the money.

derby

I don't mind a non-assist Deuce. it is a little tight at a stop but once it is rooling it is ok. my five ton is easier to drive ,a real differance. I would not spend the green for an air assist. I would buy a five ton for the extra cash. i do not like the NDT's in ice and snow,a little scary at times, rain is not so bad. You know how the roads are here! good luck in your search.