• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So......Am I the only one

steelandcanvas

We had a pretty good ice storm come in last night, the lights would dim and come back to full brightness every few minutes. I did say to myself "go ahead and drop out, I got this covered". Then I came to my senses thinking about how cold it would be to go outside and fire up the 003A.

easttnemc

I figured that by buying my MEP003a, I virtually guaranteed that my power would never ever go out again.....so I would never get the chance to use it.....also figured if I ever sold it that the power would go off the very next day.

Chainbreaker

Well...after I got my MEP-002a all set up with aux fuel tank installed on trailer, fully fueled up and wired up to the house "I just dared the power to go out". Guess what? It did go out recently and the "first day" was sort of fun. I felt like the boy scout who was well prepared.

Then...reality set in. I'm now on emergency back-up power, how long is this going to last? What's my fuel burn rate? Do I really have enough fuel on hand for what could be an extended outage? I could not even get out of my steep snow/ice covered driveway to go get fuel if needed. Never having run this generator unattended for longer than the monthly test-runs I decided I better go out and check every few hours to see if there are any fuel leaks etc., wouldn't want it to start an accidental generator fire next to the house! Then there are the sounds...the mind can play tricks on oneself if you start to over analyze the sounds a diesel generator makes hour-after-hour! Are those cylinders/injectors really running even? By the second day I was more comfortable but still had no idea how long power would be out. Without a back-up generator or complete spares inventory you start to wonder if a 28 year old generator's parts are all good enough to get you through what could be an extended outage.

After just two days I was very glad when the power came back on. Fortunately the generator had performed flawlessly and it was a relief to be back on grid power. So, its a case of "Be careful what you wish for"! Or maybe a case of "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and worry about how long you might have to feed it!

steelypip

Then...reality set in. I'm now on emergency back-up power, how long is this going to last? What's my fuel burn rate? Do I really have enough fuel on hand for what could be an extended outage?
After just two days I was very glad when the power came back on. Fortunately the generator had performed flawlessly and it was a relief to be back on grid power. So, its a case of "Be careful what you wish for"! Or maybe a case of "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and worry about how long you might have to feed it!
That pretty much covers it. I discovered how unreliable power was at this house the hard way - we had a five-day winter outage start the night we moved in. It was a hardcore survival situation there for a few days, and I was eternally grateful to the neighbor down at the bottom of the hill who got out with his 4wd pickup after using his 4wd tractor and loader bucket to clear enough road to get a run at it. He tried to get up our piece of road and got so stuck that he had to drag it out with the tractor the next day.

Anyway, I sent him away with my two five-gallon kerosene cans (for the heater)which he filled up, after visiting four stations before he found one with power and kerosene. I then had to hump them up 100' of hill in four feet of snow.

That was a powerful lesson. How much generator fuel could I store onsite with a reasonable turn rate? How much could I manufacture out of available materials (RUG and WMO)? How much runtime would that get me? The road was only impassible for four days that time, but what if it had been a hurricane or wind and ice? You can only chainsaw so many 60' oak trees a day, and it's about a mile down to the highway.

It's not a game at that point. You do the math, figure the probabilities, and decide what is the smallest generator that will meet your needs. I decided on an MEP-002A, which is the 'big' generator. I also have a little gasoline generator with a carry handle on top. It's just big enough to run a few lights and the woodstove blower and charge a deep-cycle battery.

The little generator is the primary tool for overnight runs because it burns a quart every 3 hours. The big generator gets run for 2-4 hours/day unless we need air conditioning (as after the derecho, when it was 92 F). Yes, it's easier and more comfortable to just run the big generator all the time, but it burns as much fuel in two hours as the little one does in twelve. And I have vehicles full of fresh fuel for the little generator.

If the little generator packs it in, well, we've got the big generator. If the big one quits, the little one will charge the deep cycle battery, which, with the inverter, will run any of the freezers or the fridge in turn, as well as run lights and the woodstove blower.

This sort of math gets us reliable heat and power for five days. After about day 3, if it was obvious that we might be stranded up here longer, I'd probably start economizing, mix up some black diesel, that sort of thing. And work on getting out with the quad with a couple of fuel cans strapped to the luggage racks.

Yes, we have lots of food in the basement. I discovered that doing generator management, tree removal, snow removal, etc, I reliably go through 3500 calories a day instead of my baseline 2000 or so.

Chainbreaker

That's why I bought three! :clinto:
Yep, and that is why I am scouting for genset #2. Though I'm not sure what it will be. I love the low fuel consumption of the -002, it's a sipper when not loaded up. However, I have a 1,000 gallon propane tank that we use for hot water, furnace and cooking as a potential second generator fuel source. However, I like the idea of having a second -002 that I can use down at my shop/barn and use as a back-up genset (or parts loaner unit) in case genset #1 fails on me.

FormerNewMVGuy

I lost power for 15 days during superstorm Sandy. I used $750.00 in diesel for the outage. Needless to say, I no longer wish to tryout my genny, but in grateful to have it as backup.

Bill W

I got my first 003a in 1998 when I still lived in So.Fla and never used it, even after Hurricane Irene hit my block was the only one in the neighborhood that still had power. I sold that genset 2005 when I moved to Ga., I felt kind of naked without one so I bought another in 2008 ( W/ASK) and it sat till now ( other then once a year run up and fuel change ). I never hooked it up to the house to test it but I did have everything wired up incase I ever needed it.
She ran perfect for 48hrs.

Last edited:

Bill W

Yes as mentioned in my thread I ran it for 48hrs during a power outage from a ice storm that came through in Feb, 2014. Since than I hooked up a 50amp RV box to the barn breaker box ( which has 100amp service from house ) to which I will back feed through during next outage. Funny this thread came up as I'm now out welding up a new batt hold down bracket for the genset being I went to group 65 batts which won't fit in the old bracket like the group 24's did.

jimbo913

[h=2]"I lost power for 15 days during superstorm Sandy. I used $750.00 in diesel for the outage. Needless to say, I no longer wish to tryout my genny, but in grateful to have it as backup."[/h]
Ouch, how much was fuel then? I thought 003/803's ran about 10gal in 24hrs assuming 1/2 load average. I stocked up on diesel since the price dropped below $2. Figure I can run for close to $20-$25 a day. Try doing that with propane!

Triple Jim

My 003A burns a little less than a gallon/hour when supplying my whole house. I think an 002A is more like 1/2 gallon/hour.

Out here in the woods there are enough power failures that I seldom have to bother with monthly scheduled running. Luckily most of the outages are pretty short, like 1/2 hour or an hour, caused by a tree branch blowing a fuse, or something similar.

Korgoth1

"I lost power for 15 days during superstorm Sandy. I used $750.00 in diesel for the outage. Needless to say, I no longer wish to tryout my genny, but in grateful to have it as backup."

Ouch, how much was fuel then? I thought 003/803's ran about 10gal in 24hrs assuming 1/2 load average. I stocked up on diesel since the price dropped below $2. Figure I can run for close to $20-$25 a day. Try doing that with propane!
I tried propane, and in my area it is just to expensive, ng might be viable for someone that lives close to the hookup, otherwise you better just stock up on diesel, and only run it when needed.

I do like the idea of running the small one during low use hours and crank up the big one when more power is needed.

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried propane, and in my area it is just to expensive, ng might be viable for someone that lives close to the hookup, otherwise you better just stock up on diesel, and only run it when needed.

I do like the idea of running the small one during low use hours and crank up the big one when more power is needed.
Dual machines is my plan for now. The 831 is for low power times and the 803 is when I need full power.

I have a Xantrex 6048 inverter that will be part of the system in the future. I'm waiting for the lithium batteries to drop in price more.

Korgoth1

Which batteries are you looking at? The price of batteries and, more importantly, the fact that they would only last me 3 years is why I don't have a solar setup...

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking at using LiPoFe4 batteries. Specifically salvage batteries from a Nissan Leaf or Chevy Volt.

Properly treated they will last 10 or more years of daily cycling.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks