• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So are CUCV's metric or not?

linx310

I meant to bring this issue up when I first got my truck but I thought these things were supposed to have all metric bolts installed. Mine seems to have a mixture of both US fractional and Metric.

The bolts look factory to me.

Did the factory only replace some of the bolts they thought would commonly be removed only or were they supposed to replace them all?

ODdave

Engines where mainly metric and the rest of the truck was for the most part sae. Personaly the metric seems to have better holding/clamping capabilities. (aparently so did the guy that designed the B-series cummins and they did something right)

jesusgatos

im not a big fan of the metric sysytem.....
It's beyond me how anyone can fail to see (or admit?) that the metric system is clearly superior to the American system. Frustrates me to no end that I am forced to measure things in inches and feet. Stupid. Just plain stupid, and embarrassing - that we (Americans) are evidently so stubborn and arrogant that we refuse to acknowledge the superiority of any other system of measurement. There are obviously a lot of practical reasons why we've been slow to adopt the metric system, but in the meantime we're in purgatory - stuck with two systems and two toolsets.

linx310

It's beyond me how anyone can fail to see (or admit?) that the metric system is clearly superior to the American system.
I prefer the metric system also, it made working on my motorcycle a snap. Easy to do conversions to.

markg

I prefer the metric system also, it made working on my motorcycle a snap. Easy to do conversions to.
i agree, this is what i have handy to do most anything under the hood of a cucv.
5/8
15mm
9/16
1/2
7/16
10mm
3/8
merry
christmas
mark

mf5129

the mid 80s are the transistion period.it was frustrating when it came but now i like it.metric is easier to use and learn.the us is the only holdout.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I grew up on the fractional system. I also have the tools to work on both. Please explain to me why the metric system is superior to the fractional system? I've never experienced a situation where one outperformed the other. Is it just that the metric system is simpler? It's not a matter of failing to admit, I don't see any advantage to one over the other.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only my deuces, trailers, and the M37 are SAE size only. My LMTV, according to the manual, has a mix, and the Durango I have as a daily driver has a mix. Apparently, regardless of the "system's" desire to change to metric only, they haven't as of yet.

I have the tools to use both, but the metric usually stays in the tool cabinet, not the handy toolbox that goes everywhere with me. So it ticks me off if I have to get off my ass and dig through my cabinet for the barely-used metric tools....

67_C-30

It's beyond me how anyone can fail to see (or admit?) that the metric system is clearly superior to the American system. Frustrates me to no end that I am forced to measure things in inches and feet. Stupid. Just plain stupid, and embarrassing - that we (Americans) are evidently so stubborn and arrogant that we refuse to acknowledge the superiority of any other system of measurement. There are obviously a lot of practical reasons why we've been slow to adopt the metric system, but in the meantime we're in purgatory - stuck with two systems and two toolsets.
I feel the same way - about the metric system. I grew up measuring in inches and nails, speaking english, and buying things in dollars and cents. I see no reason to change that, but it seems that there are those who feel we should standardize everything, speak several languages, make everybody that doesn't live here happy. I guess it would be wicked awesome to hear Robert Plant belt out "Give you every millimeter of my love" and listening to Trent Reznor's 22.9 Centimeter Nails. My '69 Camaro would be soooo much cooler with a SS 6489 emblems...

Last edited:

D T

Im not in purgatory... and I have one set of tools,just some are metric and some are SAE....NO BIGGIE

mf5129

I grew up on the fractional system. I also have the tools to work on both. Please explain to me why the metric system is superior to the fractional system? I've never experienced a situation where one outperformed the other. Is it just that the metric system is simpler? It's not a matter of failing to admit, I don't see any advantage to one over the other.
its not necissaly better.just that all the rest of the world uses it. it takes a limited number of tolols to do most routine repairs.and is simpler to learn.10 thru 19 mm is all you need most of the time.since the mid 80s all domestic autos use metric.its now the standard of measurement in the auto industry.i havent used sae tools much in years.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks