• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So deuce engines...

DevRev

Did some research (read: Clicked every single link and tabbed it for the first 5 pages in the forum) reading EVERYTHING.

I believe I remember reading something about the M35A2 D engine being better built/reliable or something to that extent, however it did not have the iconic whistler turbo with it. I also learned that you can literally just buy a whistler turbo and throw it on there in place of the other turbo, can anyone just reassure me this research is correct?

Thanks.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both engines were good. The later blocks were "TD" blocks, where there was increased material where the head bolted on. The "TD" stood for "thick deck" and helped with head gasket sealing issues. As far as turbos I heard the D turbos were the strongest and most durable but did not make a good of boost at low RPM. The C whistles and is not as rugged as the D. I think if you treat the truck well, both turbos will last a long time and provide good service. I have a D turbo in mine and it has always worked well for me. That is my experience anyway.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What you read is the "D" turbo is better built than the "C" turbo. It has better seals and bearings. The motors don't really have much difference to them.

DevRev

Both engines were good. The later blocks were "TD" blocks, where there was increased material where the head bolted on. The "TD" stood for "thick deck" and helped with head gasket sealing issues. As far as turbos I heard the D turbos were the strongest and most durable but did not make a good of boost at low RPM. The C whistles and is not as rugged as the D. I think if you treat the truck well, both turbos will last a long time and provide good service. I have a D turbo in mine and it has always worked well for me. That is my experience anyway.
Do a search on TD blocks if you want to learn more about them.
What you read is the "D" turbo is better built than the "C" turbo. It has better seals and bearings. The motors don't really have much difference to them.
Tom beat me to posting. Yes the TD blocks are better.
Gotcha, I cannot thank everyone on this forum enough for helping me in my quest to get a deuce!

I'm assuming somewhere on a vehicle tag there will be a "TD" denomination?

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There will be a "TD" cast in the BLOCK. It has absolutely nothing to do with the truck. There is no M35A2D truck.

The C or D turbos are interchangeable. Put which ever one you want on it. Whistle or no-whistle, it is your choice.

Last edited:

Woodsplinter

If your looking to buy a deuce, don't let details like that get in the way. All the engines and trucks are basically the same- all built to the same specs. The supply is drying up!