• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So how much can an M998 HMMWV pull in a pinch?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok.... all grass has been mowed because i cheated. I used a bigger hammer -

The M998 did move the M818 forward enough to pull the chocks, but wouldn't pull it enough to get the tires out of the self created depressions. It didn't really help that the cable attachment point was much lower on the M998 than the M818.

I would not have attempted this with good traction - too much risk for driveline damage. But in the field on grass , traction breaks before components.

Attachments

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok.... all grass has been mowed because i cheated. I used a bigger hammer -

The M998 did move the M818 forward enough to pull the chocks, but wouldn't pull it enough to get the tires out of the self created depressions. It didn't really help that the cable attachment point was much lower on the M998 than the M818.

I would not have attempted this with good traction - too much risk for driveline damage. But in the field on grass , traction breaks before components.
in the off road recovery world, this is where a kinetic rope would have been useful, rather than doing a dead pull with a steel cable.

Hammer

You attachment point on the pulled load is far too high. As soon as you try and pull, it is lifting the rear of your 998. And making for even less traction, etc.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You attachment point on the pulled load is far too high. As soon as you try and pull, it is lifting the rear of your 998. And making for even less traction, etc.

Great observation.

Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks