• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So I bought a trailer... (M1101)

TeamAnvil

Hello all,

Just bought my first mil surp trailer, a 2012 Shutt M1101 in woodland camo. The previous owner bought it at auction, hauled it locally, did all the paperwork, registered it with a permanent trailer plate and serviced the wheel hubs. It's in really good shape and probably not ever used, the original "owners manual" CD was attached inside the bed! He also has a M10X trailer and liked the extra length for his usage. He only used this trailer a few times so decided to sell. He kept the HUMVEE run flats which is good/bad but included four Dodge wheels with decent tires. The trailer is in really good shape, one dent in the bed floor and some scrape marks from when the guy at the depot moved it out with the forklift. I paid a similar price that most of them have sold at auction for in the last ~year since I've been looking and I didn't have to haul, register, etc. Sometimes I have more money then time ;-)

My best-laid plan is to create a camping/overland trailer with some equipment installed (water, electrical, rtt) but to mostly use the space for cargo. My Raptor has a very small bed and my planned chase rack makes it even smaller. I like being able to drop the trailer at base camp with all the gear in it and not have to constantly unload/load the truck bed. I plan to build my own rack to match the height and profile of the Raptor cab. Truck side boxes for storage or Gear Pods (if I hit my number this year). Researching a slider for the bed, possible kitchen but mostly for storage. If and when I get there, a family friend does boat covers and sails. I'd love to have a custom canvas cover made to help weatherproof it a bit, at least while its parked.

For our big trip last year I borrowed my sister-in-laws 1954 Gemco T1. It did well for the terrain we were in but was a little small. We were 18-24" over the bed sides with cargo straps everywhere. There are some great expedition trailers out there but they all seem geared towards camping or just cargo, like dirt bikes or quads/atv's. I hope to strike a balance somewhere in between. I also want to make it easier for the family to say "let's go camping this weekend" as my boys get older. Having this somewhat ready to go with most of my gear would be ideal.

I'll try and post my build pics here as things progress and I am sure I will have lots of questions so looking forward to hearing from members here with experience.

D370CE23-541A-4A8E-A9B4-6ADCB50601FF.jpegA06814C8-6883-4DDD-96FC-67FB7F9882F3.jpeg1215B494-A672-47C8-99A6-CCEF9D897848.jpeg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello all,

Just bought my first mil surp trailer, a 2012 Shutt M1101 in woodland camo. The previous owner bought it at auction, hauled it locally, did all the paperwork, registered it with a permanent trailer plate and serviced the wheel hubs. It's in really good shape and probably not ever used, the original "owners manual" CD was attached inside the bed! He also has a M10X trailer and liked the extra length for his usage. He only used this trailer a few times so decided to sell. He kept the HUMVEE run flats which is good/bad but included four Dodge wheels with decent tires. The trailer is in really good shape, one dent in the bed floor and some scrape marks from when the guy at the depot moved it out with the forklift. I paid a similar price that most of them have sold at auction for in the last ~year since I've been looking and I didn't have to haul, register, etc. Sometimes I have more money then time ;-)

My best-laid plan is to create a camping/overland trailer with some equipment installed (water, electrical, rtt) but to mostly use the space for cargo. My Raptor has a very small bed and my planned chase rack makes it even smaller. I like being able to drop the trailer at base camp with all the gear in it and not have to constantly unload/load the truck bed. I plan to build my own rack to match the height and profile of the Raptor cab. Truck side boxes for storage or Gear Pods (if I hit my number this year). Researching a slider for the bed, possible kitchen but mostly for storage. If and when I get there, a family friend does boat covers and sails. I'd love to have a custom canvas cover made to help weatherproof it a bit, at least while its parked.

For our big trip last year I borrowed my sister-in-laws 1954 Gemco T1. It did well for the terrain we were in but was a little small. We were 18-24" over the bed sides with cargo straps everywhere. There are some great expedition trailers out there but they all seem geared towards camping or just cargo, like dirt bikes or quads/atv's. I hope to strike a balance somewhere in between. I also want to make it easier for the family to say "let's go camping this weekend" as my boys get older. Having this somewhat ready to go with most of my gear would be ideal.

I'll try and post my build pics here as things progress and I am sure I will have lots of questions so looking forward to hearing from members here with experience.
Welcome to the Outfit!

Seems like you already know that we are "Picture Hounds" and you have already contributed to feed that need :) . Have to agree, being able to back up the truck - hook it up and go - is absolutely the best trailer camping choice. Would love to see what you come up with! Again, welcome to the group.

TeamAnvil

Welcome to the Outfit!

Seems like you already know that we are "Picture Hounds" and you have already contributed to feed that need :) . Have to agree, being able to back up the truck - hook it up and go - is absolutely the best trailer camping choice. Would love to see what you come up with! Again, welcome to the group.
Thanks Mullaney. Here are some pics of the Gemco, aka "prospector."

A1CD031B-F60A-4B61-A39E-482F3025B692_1_201_a.jpeg6E8D483B-31D6-4886-952E-1AF27334E5BD_1_201_a.jpegIMG_4196.jpeg

TeamAnvil

Turns out my trailer is an M1102! Not sure the seller knew the difference and without the original wheels on its not at apparent (12 bolt -vs- 24 bolt). Not that I need the extra capacity but good to know its there. Also did my first mod yesterday; replace the jerry can holder up front with this little "tool box" made for ATV's. Needs to be painted, that chrome handle really sticks out lol.

D8EBCE35-FE88-4FB7-95F7-55BE96972478.jpeg6C32DDE4-9132-4480-9DF9-0BE896E730A5.jpeg801FE131-539B-4768-8F72-4DF304A69A3F.jpeg

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turns out my trailer is an M1102! Not sure the seller knew the difference and without the original wheels on its not at apparent (12 bolt -vs- 24 bolt). Not that I need the extra capacity but good to know its there. Also did my first mod yesterday; replace the jerry can holder up front with this little "tool box" made for ATV's. Needs to be painted, that chrome handle really sticks out lol.
wheels were just whatever they had in the motorpool. They pretty much all came with 12 bolt from the factory because there is no reason to use the 24.
Trailer is rated for 4200 lbs gross; even the load range D tires are way more than that (3850 lbs each tire I believe, so 7700 lbs for the pair)

TeamAnvil

wheels were just whatever they had in the motorpool. They pretty much all came with 12 bolt from the factory because there is no reason to use the 24.
Trailer is rated for 4200 lbs gross; even the load range D tires are way more than that (3850 lbs each tire I believe, so 7700 lbs for the pair)
Interesting. I was under the impression the M1102 got the 24 bolt wheels to up the load rating.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ONLY difference between the M1101 and the M1102 are the numbers on the dataplate.

Otherwise everything was the same. It was done that way to prevent a soldier from connecting a heavily loaded trailer to a vehicle not rated for the weight.

In other words, puny Vehicle X can only pull an M1101 trailer, but big Vehicle Y and pull either the M1101 or the M1102 because it's rated for the higher weight limit on the dataplate of the M1102. I think it had something to do with various iterations of the HMMWV - some were more stout and could haul heavier loads. So the vehicle data said M1101 or M1102, which meant the towing HMMWV has a higher towing capacity.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The ONLY difference between the M1101 and the M1102 are the numbers on the dataplate.

Otherwise everything was the same. It was done that way to prevent a soldier from connecting a heavily loaded trailer to a vehicle not rated for the weight.

In other words, puny Vehicle X can only pull an M1101 trailer, but big Vehicle Y and pull either the M1101 or the M1102 because it's rated for the higher weight limit on the dataplate of the M1102. I think it had something to do with various iterations of the HMMWV - some were more stout and could haul heavier loads. So the vehicle data said M1101 or M1102, which meant the towing HMMWV has a higher towing capacity.
That is nice to know. Thanks @Mainsail !

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea 1101 and 1102 same trailer i was told the number diff was something to do with the soldiers drivers lic and him being qualified to drive/ pull but so much weight class by his D.L. class .images.jpg

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea 1101 and 1102 same trailer i was told the number diff was something to do with the soldiers drivers lic and him being qualified to drive/ pull but so much weight class by his D.L. class .View attachment 877644
Difference is the earlier trucks had a max tow rating of 3400 lbs, and later trucks or those with upgraded bumper were rated to tow 4200 lbs.
So the M1101 is for the lower rated trucks, and the M1102 is for later/reinforced trucks.

Driver's license should just say something about HMMWV variants and that they can tow a trailer, not specific HMMWV trailers usually as that would make the license either much bigger or the writing so small you can't read it if you had to list every specific one (and there are a LOT of trucks and trailer types in the Army motorpool)

EDIT: The motorpool will also keep a record in much more detail about every vehicle and trailer that you have been trained/certified on, rather than just a general classification. So license might say "5 ton truck with trailer" where the motorpool paperwork will say "M934A2 Expando van" and "M105A3 trailer" along with about a dozen other 900 series 5 ton trucks and half a dozen trailers that can be towed by them (or more)

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you have to take a test for each one of the vehicles listed ?
usually a motorpool NCO or other authorized person will take you for a check ride in one truck, then sign you off for that series of vehicles (whatever variants that particular unit has on the books).
Not so much a test as a verification that you aren't a total idiot behind the wheel.

I don't actually remember being checked on the HMMWV, but I do remember my first time riding in then driving the LMTV. The female driving first kind of scared me. I got to see more of base when I was doing the driving because I wasn't so focused on how bad the driving was.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't actually remember being checked on the HMMWV, but I do remember my first time riding in then driving the LMTV. The female driving first kind of scared me. I got to see more of base when I was doing the driving because I wasn't so focused on how bad the driving was.
I only drove a HMMWV once while I was active duty, not unusual since I was aircrew. The one time I did drive one, I got a ticket for driving too fast, not having the license, and not checking the tires before entering a taxiway.

Me and another guy were doing some side work as OPFOR and he signed out the HMMWV so we could scout the area they wanted us to plant the fake explosives. I drove back and came screaming out of the treeline onto the taxiway, not noticing the cop 100 yards back.

Fortunately for me, the OPFOR was so successful and impressive, the Wing IG took care of the ticket for me. :LOL:

Guyfang

Staff member
Did you have to take a test for each one of the vehicles listed ?
Yes. But not all at the 44th Sig unit, that issued the that licence and DA Form 348 you see. The SIG CWO asked me to be the QA/QC for all completed repairs and upgrades in his unit. I was working as a contractor at the time. I told him, "Sure, why not?". He asked my for proof that I could drive the unit vehicles, trailers and operate the gen sets. I told him that I would bring proof in the morning. I rooted through all my crap i kept in the old foot locker, upstairs. I found 6 pages of DA Form 348, and about a million old drivers licences, issued to me over 20 years in the Army. The DA Form 348 is a listing of all training completed on all equipment requiring a licence. Shortly after being advanced to the exalted rank of SP/5, in 1978(?) our Motor Sgt. informed me I was to be a "Master Driver". He no longer wanted to test the drivers training people, and passed that on to me.

In HAWK, we had a real large stable of different vehicles. He road tested me on all the basic trucks and tracked vechiles, and made me take a test for power generation. Then added things like heaters, and such things.

There is a FM that lists all things big and small, that require a licence. He added them also. When I at last left the unit, going to Fort Lewis, I picked up my 2 pages of 348, and not thinking about it, went to Washington. When I signed in, the First Shirt and Motor Daddy (Motor Sgt) looked at the 348's and smiled. They had a master driver. I had to get smart on the vehicles there, and test on them. Like Coug wrote, you tested on the basic vesicles, and got the sub models tossed in. All but the wreckers. Those I had to take a test on. I was up to 3 pages DA form 348. I went to my next unit. Same deal, different trucks and gen sets.
The unit after that was PATRIOT. More new stuff. More testing. I was then the Battalion Master driver. Lots of even newer stuff.
Generators and trucks. was up to 6 pages of DA Form 348. So when the SIG CWO in 44th. saw "Master Driver, and CW3 on my last few licences, he just laughed and gave me what you see on that DA Form 348 and DA Form 5984, drivers licence. He dropped off all the equipment that was no longer in the military system. But it was still a lot of stuff. He still made me drive the HEMTT Tanker, Wrecker, the HMMWV's with trailer and the LMTV's, with trailer. The LMTV's were new to me, but not much to them. Later, at 9th Engineers, I got a real workout on them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks