• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So I bought an M105A2

Plugugly

Well, I did. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do with it yet, but it will fit behind my M923A2. I might not license it and just pull it behind a tractor to haul fire wood. It's a pretty good trailer, one of the brake levers doesn't move the arm to acuate the parking brake, the TM says you should start to feel resistance at 2/3 of lever travel, this one moves and the arm attached that urns to the brake never moves. I'll look at that later, it's cold. :) I did hook the lights up to my truck and they work, I'll wait on the air brakes until I'm ready to get it road worthy or regulate it to farm use.

The real point of making this thread was that I looked for all the info I could about the trailer width because I wanted to pull it home on my car trailer. I didn't have time to preview, and didn't want to deal with the 24v lights, brakes, and tire unknowns. I found the width listed in the TM at 84 inches, and that was what I measured my trailer at between the fenders. I figured the wheel track would be slightly less, and it is but the studs are about 84". So I wanted to show that you should be okay with a 84" wide trailer provided that your fenders are low enough to let the widest part of the rim clear them. My fenders are 9" from the deck, so I had plenty of clearance.

I took the tarp and end panels off to pull it home, and it did fine despite the 20-30mph headwinds and snow. :(

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The visual reference will be a great asset to many folk here on the site. Thanks for posting.

3dAngus

Good idea to put the rear stabilizer bar down and tightened it up. You get a bit of sway towing these as they can sometimes feel top heavy, depending on the trailer you use to tow with. I like to put the front end down on the wood, or, put the pintle down and lock the brakes, to help hold down any sway and lower the gravity. That becomes increasingly important when towing two M101s or M1101s at the same time. Nose down.
You did good!

John Galt

Thanks for the pics. How long is your car hauler?

I recently picked up a 105. Debated what to do with but am in the process of filling it up with firewood for the winter. I may decide to do something with it at a later date but right now it is the cheapest way I have found for storing firewood off the ground.

Plugugly

Good idea to put the rear stabilizer bar down and tightened it up. You get a bit of sway towing these as they can sometimes feel top heavy, depending on the trailer you use to tow with. I like to put the front end down on the wood, or, put the pintle down and lock the brakes, to help hold down any sway and lower the gravity. That becomes increasingly important when towing two M101s or M1101s at the same time. Nose down.
You did good!
Yes, the first picture was right after they set it on the trailer. I ended up moving it a bit more to the rear, and dropping that leg down. A quick brake check in the parking lot showed that something with suspension hauling something with suspension made things a little wonky. I went from one strap through the lunette to four separate straps to the tie down points, and the landing gear down solid. From there on, it was rock solid.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If someone's fenders are too tall, you can bring 2x6 or 2x8s to stack up(laying down) to get over the fender.

marbaja252

Were the guys at Camp Dodge good to work with? I am picking up my 105 Thursday & I am not sure what I bought it for yet either. I am getting the Green one. How do you like you M923 so far? How is the Soft top in the winter weather we are having so far? New guy in Polk City.

Plugugly

Camp Dodge staff was great, they are straight up Army guys. The GL guy had some... issues getting my invoice emailed. GL is not onsite, so the Army guys handle the actual load out and want it to go well for you. My M923 has been awesome, I got a creampuff that has needed very little. I drove it 3.5 hours home and everything works great. The soft top and winter heat is what it is, plan on dressing for the weather outside.

Plugugly

Looked at the trailer today, and the handle is broken. The adjuster is broken off the internal part, so it doesn't actuate the linkage to the brake. The linkage moves and I can hear the brake moving, so that's good. Ordered a NOS handle off fleabay, should be good to go.

Plugugly

I have a similar version for my little tractor, but it's too low to use correctly like yours. For moving it into my building I just hooked it with my quick hitch. I'll be pulling it the woods with a JD7320, most likely. My little lawn tractor move it fine empty, but would be dangerous loaded.

Attachments