• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

so i got stuck and broke the winch YAY

ODdave

So last night (easter) we where all out at my dads (where i keep my MV's) and after we ate. My nephew and i decided that we where borred. We went outside and cut up some fire wood (gave me a chance to run the chainsaw and he got to drive the tractor, fun for both of us) then we got borred with that and decided to bleed the brakes out on the non-winch deuce. Got that all done and we where feeling pretty proud of ourselfs for being productive, he convinced me (easily) that we should take the truck w/395's on it for a lil drive around in the woods/swamp. Well this is the result. we got about halfway to the river and it stoped. I didnt think it was gonna be a big deal so we hopped out, fired up the saw and started cutting up some down trees to put under the tires. Well aparently as we where doing this the truck was sinking, my dad and sister where standing about 100 yards away and could see this happening. Well when trying to drive out didnt work, we used the winch........ when that broke i became a little nervous, lol. luckly i had another winch truck and was able to chain the back of that truck to a tree and use its winch to extract the other one (almost rolling the stuck truck on its side though :shock:). well that was my easter story lol. I atached some pics that i took right after we got stuck. by the time i got it out it was a lil bit worse:roll:.

Attachments

Last edited:

wdbtchr

I'm sorry but I can't help I can't stop myself, "and then we got bored." Sounds like the lead in to a Jeff Foxworthy joke.roflroflrofl I shouldn't talk, I hung my M51A2w/w up to the axles in the mud one time and to make a long story shore, I hung it up in April and didn't get it out till June when the ground finally dried out and I was able to drive it out.:roll:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeppers, I'd have to agree. stuck. yep. Uhmmm, were your rear tires puttin on their "gillie" suit in pic three? Fortunate for you that you had/have multiple MV that have winches! Congrats on the work well done, even the gettin stuck part, you did that fairly well too! LOL:smile:
God bless!
Tony:smile:

ODdave

yea, slight case of A.D.D., hey at least we stuck with it long enough to get them out, didnt was them yet though lol. Next time i WILL get STUCK with the assistance of BEER

bassetdeuce

So last night (easter) we where all out at my dads (where i keep my MV's) and after we ate my nephew and i decided that we where borred. We went outside and cut up some fire wood (gave me a chance to run the chainsaw and he got to drive the tractor, fun for both of us) then we got borred with that and decided to bleed the brakes out on the non-winch deuce. Got that all done and we where feeling pretty proud of ourselfs for being productive, he convinced me (easily) that we should take the truck w/395's on it for a lil drive around in the woods/swamp. Well this is the result. we got about halfway to the river and it stoped. I didnt think it was gonna be a big deal so we hopped out, fired up the saw and started cutting up some down trees to put under the tires. Well aparently as we where doing this the truck was sinking, my dad and sister where standing about 100 yards away and could see this happening. Well when trying to drive out didnt work, we used the winch........ when that broke i became a little nervous, lol. luckly i had another winch truck and was able to chain the back of that truck to a tree and use its winch to extract the other one (almost rolling the stuck truck on its side though :shock:). well that was my easter story lol. I atached some pics that i took right after we got stuck. by the time i got it out it was a lil bit worse:roll:.
That is what you get for eating your nephew. :wink: Sorry, I like commas.

Last edited:

ODdave

That is what you get for eating your nephew. :wink: Sorry, I like commas.

whoops, sorry im a mechanic not a typer, thanks i fixed it. lol. p.s. i want your dog, there is a beutiful basset that wonders around my dads property (where i got stuck) he wasnt there to help me yesterday though.

bassetdeuce

That is my dads dog. She follows him everywhere and gets terrible separation anxiety. I hope that wandering basset isn't homeless. On the winch, think it is a shear pin that failed?

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Totally worshiping your combat rims!!!!! Are those the correct M34 type or the WWII type, I can't tell if you have studs with nuts or bolts holding the lock ring on. Studs with nuts are the super early M34 deuce type.

ODdave

they are the stud w/nut wheels. i would almost hate to say how much i pay'd for them....:wink:

BASSETDEUCE- yea he's not a stray, hes the neighbors dog, unfortunatly he wasnt able to help out on the recon yesterday. slacker. Oh yea it was the pin, i need a snatch block.

Oilleaker1

Grease under grass! Ole in North Dakota would say---"Uff Dah" I Tink we stuk!!!!!! 13,900 pounds stuck. Looks like you were very close to spun down to the axle housings. When you get there, you got a problem!:cookoo: John

ODdave

i was on the housing by the time i started winching it with the other truck, it was just to dark for pictures:(. **** good thing i got it out when i did, we had horrible rain/ hale and tornado watches today:roll:

ODdave

so i have an update, i finaly got some time to get back out, wash the trucks and re spool the winch cables i used last week (i left them strung on the bumpers to dry the mud). well the one truck went just fine (as expected). The second........ well this is what happend. the best i can figure is the bronse gear must have cracked last weekend and finaly let loose yesterday. :sad:. I am kind of second guessing these winches. i love the trucks but i feel a little let down. I am definatly buyying a snatch block so i can be prepared for next time but ****.... Anybody have these parts (gear and housing) or a spare winch? snatch block? aua

Attachments

ODdave

i was on the housing by the time i started winching it with the other truck, it was just to dark for pictures:(. **** good thing i got it out when i did, we had horrible rain/ hale and tornado watches today:roll:

Here are 2 pictures of where the truck was stuck, the rain started just after we got it out...... the truck was about 15 feet left of the power poles.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks