• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So I guess my A1 is going 24v

jeeplvr247

I have been planning for some time to switch my jeep back to 24v but the price had held me back for a long time. This weekend I found a guy who sold me his hurricane, complete with carb, generator, voltage regulator, and distributor and the wiring harness out of his jeep. For all of the above I came in at under $250, great for my starving grad student budget! I am still working on my trans/ transfer case seals and gaskets as my fall/winter project but when things start to warm up I am going to begin the conversion. The engine I bought has a cracked valve so I am just going to swap out all of my 12v accessories with the 24v ones off the new engine and keep the leftovers in my garage for spares. I will use this as my project thread for the conversion and update when I get it started.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The best part of going 24V is that nobody will know how to start it! Next $$$ are the plug wires and plugs.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The best part of going 24V is that nobody will know how to start it! Next $$$ are the plug wires and plugs.
And he can use the Jeepie to slave off the other trucks!

wilfreeman

I've been thinking about either doing a hybrid waterproof wire to civi plug conversion. I have an old set of wires without insulation I could use for this. I dont "show" the Jeep, so it wouldn't be a big deal on that end. The other option would be to get a set of wires with boots that fit tightly to the waterproof distributor towers.

Those wires are like $190 bucks or something rediculous now - not to mention the $13-$18 plugs!

jeeplvr247

Luclilt it came with all the plugs and wires! I am sure there are other things that I will have buy along the way but for now it looks like I have almost everything. Now I will be able to jump start the 5 ton :-D

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Those wires are like $190 bucks or something rediculous now - not to mention the $13-$18 plugs!
I agree the waterproof stuff is outlandishly priced, but in my experience, it literally lasts forever. It's not like you're going to be replacing the wires every 2 years.

jeeplvr247

So I guess that means I got a complete engine with all of the military accessories, wiring harness with spark plugs and wires, and gauges for about the price of spark plug wires... Not bad.

199th mp

since i'm not familiar with anything but M151's, pardon me if this is a dumb question. does your jeep use the same distributor, coil and wires, as well as spark plugs, that are used in my M151? i ask only because i bought a complete new set of NOS wires for my distributor last fall for $40 at tower park.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
since i'm not familiar with anything but M151's, pardon me if this is a dumb question. does your jeep use the same distributor, coil and wires, as well as spark plugs, that are used in my M151? i ask only because i bought a complete new set of NOS wires for my distributor last fall for $40 at tower park.
The ignition wires on the M151 are about 12" shorter than the M38A1. The coil is the same. Not the ignitor. The wires for the M151 are still available surplus. Not so with the M38A1, the surplus ones are long gone and the Jeep dealers have to order them from current manufacturers. ($$$)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks