• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So I had this crazy idea, how about this for an engine for my A3...

goldneagle

I believe 80 MPH is illegal in all states. So basically he is stating that he does not intend to follow state motor vehicle laws. Anyone know any LEOs in his state? A few speeding tickets should slow LEAD FOOT down! fat lady sings

Hooper

I say "Do It" Put the 400 in there. Couple an extra 5 speed behind the regualr drive tranny but install in backwards. All the lower gears will become overdrives. Should be able to get 80 easily. Post up when the maiden voyage is, I'd like to video tape it for a future TV production.

Yeah, now you sound like me. LOL. Now that's the kind of humous response I was looking for. I'll let you know when it's all done. ;)

Hooper

I believe 80 MPH is illegal in all states. So basically he is stating that he does not intend to follow state motor vehicle laws. Anyone know any LEOs in his state? A few speeding tickets should slow LEAD FOOT down! fat lady sings

Highways?! I was thinking two tracks.......Let's not get crazy.

BadMastard

Go hooPer go! Hey gold eagle, nope, it's legal in at least Montana, and parts of Utah. Not that hooPer is going there, but he could. I think in both states he'd be more likely to get a citation for bravery rather than speeding. Hooper? Race you to Montana? :)

goldneagle

Go hooPer go! Hey gold eagle, nope, it's legal in at least Montana, and parts of Utah. Not that hooPer is going there, but he could. I think in both states he'd be more likely to get a citation for bravery rather than speeding. Hooper? Race you to Montana? :)
Never been there! Figured 70 MPH was national. What is the legal speed in those states?

Hooper

But you already know I'm packin a 400, I'll have to go bigger soins I can whoop ya. I think I'll be needed a wheelie bar when I'm done with this A3......

BadMastard

lol.. don't hurt yourself kicking you. Plus, if you're not having a good time or laughing, you're wasting breath.

Utah is currently testing 80 mph on the interstates in limited areas. Montana once held the standard of fair and reasonable speed. It's now limited to 75, changed this year. i'll have to remember that when I am in my Ferrari there. And sweet texas has also raised limits in parts to 80.

Interesting fact. Montana's highway safety record went dramatically south with more accidents and fatalities once they changed their speed limit. Who knew? And no, not when they raised it, when they LOWERED it! chew on that a while.

Now do you feel better about reading to the end of the post? :)

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
LOL. Whose feeling crazy? Yeah, I'm living on the edge, sometimes I don't wear my seat belt too.

Heck my truck doesn't even have seat belts. The DOT guy I ran into after I bought it wasn't impressed by it. I am in the market of getting some though.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
lol.. don't hurt yourself kicking you. Plus, if you're not having a good time or laughing, you're wasting breath.

Utah is currently testing 80 mph on the interstates in limited areas. Montana once held the standard of fair and reasonable speed. It's now limited to 75, changed this year. i'll have to remember that when I am in my Ferrari there. And sweet texas has also raised limits in parts to 80.

Interesting fact. Montana's highway safety record went dramatically south with more accidents and fatalities once they changed their speed limit. Who knew? And no, not when they raised it, when they LOWERED it! chew on that a while.

Now do you feel better about reading to the end of the post? :)

Yea the safe and prudent law in Montana wasn't to smart. Most of the folks from Alberta passing through still think we don't have a speed limit with them doing 90 in their diesel pickups towing 5th wheels. Yeah most Montana fatalities are from animals and just the overall bad roads. Doing 75 on the interstates isn't bad. Most MHP officers will let you get away with 80/82 but after that they nail you, but heck its flat on I15 in northern MT and you can see them from 5 miles away. My former boss did get stopped 5 times between the Sweetgrass POE and Helena when driving because of the fuel consumption law they had during the prudent days. Like a 5 dollar ticket. I told him I would have just given the guy a $20 and tell him where your headed and to call ahead and let them know you already paid the fine.

You can pretty much do what speed you want on the Blackfoot reservation up here since the tribal won't allow the Glacier County officers to have any jurisdiction on the rez unless they are native so you just fly by them and the tribal cops have ALOT more going on than to write tickets. Only bad thing bout Montana and the open range law. Gotta deal with cows and horses as well as wildlife on the highways.

JOEDEUCE

On a more serious note, if my multi ever blows beyong repair I'm going to install a caddy 500 cubic inch engine with a NV4500 5speed or I may go 6spd. The stock big block pre emissions caddy 500 churned out 400 hp @ 4000 rpms and 500 ft lbs of tourque at 2000 rpms . And its light.... throw on an aluminum itake and maybey headers and you have big block power that weighs under 600 pounds. I'm fine running 55 mph but a lil more get up and go combined with smoother shifting might be nice. Keep in mind I'm not trying to set a land speed record, nor am I trying ditch my multi, but if she dies, I already have the drivetrain mentioned above so cost isn't an issue.

91W350

I do not recall any manual shift 500s... is the crank drilled for a pilot bearing? Gues you could have it cut in. I would think a bell housing might be a little odd too. Just some open thinking. Glen

ODdave

All you Great Lakes SS members, friends and family should consider upgrading your insurance and start a bit more praying ! If not for yourselves, then maybe for the advancement in medical research . . . common sense transplants are still not very advanced !

If you read back through the history, you will see a pattern of trying to get us all fired up, thinking the brakes comment is probably VERY TRUE when you consider past history !

Just think, 1, only ONE more post, and maybe we can see this poor A3 listed for sale to a good home where it won't face a very uncertain future and a very probable demise ! aua

73m819 said it best and has the pull to not have it deleted ! Thanks Man, and very well said !
Huh. Not real fond of this comment. Guess ill keep my parts and business here in MI.

JOEDEUCE

The crank will need to be machined for a pilot bearing and a adapter plate which is specifically made for the manual trans will handle the rest... Maximum Torque Specialties, specializes in the big block caddys and makes billet flywheels and custom adapter plates

JOEDEUCE

Its just a hypothetical idea for now, I might sell the the engine I have and find a cummins to go in the truck instead. At any rate either one will work, but the torque is what we are all after, and the cummins can deliver....I would have to also compare overdrive gear ratios between the deuce transmission and the NV 4500. As I need my cruiseing rpm around 2000 with the big block caddy, otherwise id be wasting my time, of course a tire swap would be in order to help reduce rpms

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks