• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So I want to buy a HMMWV.....

DreadedOne

Hey everyone, first post here!

So, I'm interested in buying a HMMWV. The thing is, i think I need a bit of help to narrow down the year I'm aiming for and some other things. First off, I'm a decent enough all around mechanic and have done a ton of fabrication work/body work on top of a lot else, so I have no problem maintaining it once I have it and expect to have to.

I was hoping on getting one shaped like the H1 with the enclosed back. I'm not sure if this is a certain model, or if the HMMWV even has a variation that looks like this. So this would be question one, anything like this available or a way to modify it? If not, the slanted one is cool too, so that doesn't matter too much.

My next question is about the doors. I see one available on ebay right now with the armor on the doors, is this common? Can this be done/found easily enough? I haven't seen it frequently.

When it comes to having actual doors on the vehicle, are they difficult to find? Almost all that I find have the soft doors/top, very few I've found have the hard doors at all. If they don't have the hard doors, would it be possible to find them or use the doors from the H1?

Also, my price range for this is 10k. I don't care if it needs some work, though for the most part I've seen that these are within the 5k area. Would you guys tend to agree that 10k or under is a fair budget?

Thanks everyone!

[h=2]N[/h]

04mustang

Hello, and welcome!
I would say that 10k is a fair price for a decent runner with a soft top and soft doors. The M998 or M1038. The hard back versions your speaking of....are they slanted down in the back? or just more like a wagon top?
The slant backs are the M1025, M1026 type of trucks and known as the armament carriers. They were intended to be used with things like M2 .50 cal and other larger weapon systems. they are harder to come by and usually bring a higher price as a result.
The wagon top look would be a normal M998 or M1038 but with a fiberglass roof system instead of the vinyl type. They tend to bring a little more money as well. but still within the 12k range.
These early trucks were never intended to have those heavy armored doors, at the most they can handle the X-doors with supplemental armor, which just sheet metal on the outside of the X-door.
Good luck in your search!

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DreadedOne, I'm in the same boat as you. Looking at auctions and trying to figure everything out. I will say that spending lots of time reading on this forum will be invaluable. Read, read, read...

Also, it is my personal opinion that the "model" is not as important as getting one in good/decent condition. Not much has changed over the years and many parts are interchangeable. For example, some have bought the 2 man truck version and simply opened up the rear seat positions and added a 4 man top to make a 4 man version. I have learned that I want to stay away from the older versions with bias ply tires. The wheels and hubs are not as strong. The bias ply tires also leave a lot to be desired for any driving. I guess you could buy a set of radials on updated wheels, but you still have the lighter duty hubs.

Like I said, spend some time reading what others have experienced.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers!! :) I rode in a July 4th parade in a friend's HMMWV. He didn't have the insulation on the tunnel. Air temperature was 93 degrees. Engine temperature was 185+. My feet were ROASTING in the passenger front seat. I advise you, regardless of which model you purchase, that you either buy a HMMWV that has the insulation, or you buy the insulation kit.

2w091

Welcome to Steel Soldiers!! :) I rode in a July 4th parade in a friend's HMMWV. He didn't have the insulation on the tunnel. Air temperature was 93 degrees. Engine temperature was 185+. My feet were ROASTING in the passenger front seat. I advise you, regardless of which model you purchase, that you either buy a HMMWV that has the insulation, or you buy the insulation kit.
I took all the insulation out of our 1025, in the summer it's like having a large metal radiator inside the front of the truck. With all the windows open and the turret open it is still an oven inside, for parades and public events I take the doors off sometimes.

DanM7890

Or get a red dot kit.

Predator42

IMG_0077.jpgIMG_0075.jpg Welcome aboard. this is probably the look you are going for. These tops are almost impossible to get. you can get the fugly helmet tops that have a huge hump over the driver and passenger but these flat ones are scarce. I looked for a while and gave up. I found 4 X doors for around $1500 when I bought mine. I now have the entire 4 man kit, 4 x doors and keep mine in the 2 man model for spring and summer and the 4 man in the winter. here is a pic of mine today.IMG_1070.jpg

tage

10k and under will get you a beat to scheisse truck. 10k by a factor of 10 will get you a really really nice truck. Question i would ask is what is your purpose for the truck?

Jwade

Supporting Vendor
We have some USMC M1123's coming down the pipe in the next month, These are outside of our normal DLA contract probably go for quite a bit more than the 10k but keep an eye out.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with tage. A $10,000 budget isn't much to allow for a HMMWV. 10K can buy you a really nice Deuce (or two depending on condition), a 5 ton, 2-4 CUCV's (depending on condition), 2 M274's, a M561 or two, etc. Is this your first military vehicle? If so, you might want to consider finding a local club or local Steel Soldiers members so you can sit in, climb on, ride in, and possibly drive different military vehicles before you make the five figure investment.

tage

I agree with tage. A $10,000 budget isn't much to allow for a HMMWV. 10K can buy you a really nice Deuce (or two depending on condition), a 5 ton, 2-4 CUCV's (depending on condition), 2 M274's, a M561 or two, etc. Is this your first military vehicle? If so, you might want to consider finding a local club or local Steel Soldiers members so you can sit in, climb on, ride in, and possibly drive different military vehicles before you make the five figure investment.
or a mog... hmmwv's are not fun to drive fast. I would rather trailer it then take it down the mountain.

If GP is going to get A2's. m988's should be worth next to nothing... supply and demand. But they have that worked out quite well...

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 623786View attachment 623785 Welcome aboard. this is probably the look you are going for. These tops are almost impossible to get. you can get the fugly helmet tops that have a huge hump over the driver and passenger but these flat ones are scarce. I looked for a while and gave up. I found 4 X doors for around $1500 when I bought mine. I now have the entire 4 man kit, 4 x doors and keep mine in the 2 man model for spring and summer and the 4 man in the winter. here is a pic of mine today.View attachment 623787
That's a really nice hard top Predator. Is that yours? Or just photos you found on DP's site?
I've only seen the raised ones. Aren't they called a mechanics top?

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a reason why those other vehicles are so inexpensive.
-larger and more difficult to maneuver (in comparison to smaller vehicle)
-some jurisdictions require CDL license
-harder to find parking
-heavier parts when working on them - look at the tires on a 5 ton!
-garage/storage size = large

Nothing folks here complain about, just factors that play into things. I'm usually stubborn enough to pick the path no one else wants to take. The prices are cheaper and rewards are greater. YMMV.

Dark Night

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can get the solid top 4-door units... if they are under $10K, they will be pretty roached. Nicer ones can go for more than twice that...

Humvee 01.jpgHumvee 02.jpgHumvee 03.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks