• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So I'm Thinking 10 Ton

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I will take the 747 trailer off someones hands if they don't want it. Just understand that i am not a financial institution with deep pockets. I would rather have an m870 but the IRS gets that deep in my ... enough

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have owned a 10 ton 123 and absolutely loved the truck, it is about as BA as a truck can get! With that said there are a few drawbacks to owning a 123. Parts availability can be a real challenge especially since Fiat bought MACK, for certain parts your going to end up going direct to Fiat in Italy, they are the only ones that have certain parts left. Its going to be expensive in every direction! The top speed according to the TM is 38 MPH and the fuel mileage (if you can call it that) is .75 MPG. The weight of the truck is rather extreme of a 10 ton rated truck at around 37K pounds. Then you have the over width issue which will cause you some problems, (probably a lot)! In my experience the 123 is a absolutely beautiful truck in every way until you own one! The beauty is rather short lived. My first question is what are you pulling that needs such a big tractor? Have you considered a 939 series tractor? If thats not big enough look at a 916 or something in that series, THEY do have a road speed and are a fairly modern truck. Then there is the M920, it can also pull a quarter section of land if you can get it hooked up, it also has a good road speed and a pusher axle if your really going heavy. The CAT 7155 trans takes a little getting used to but after a few miles things start to fall into place. Like I said before the 123 is one of the most awesome trucks on the planet just unfortunately kind of worthless unless your moving houses!
Goof luck
Karl

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I think im in love with the m123. Ive never seen one in person. I read some specs on it. 120k towing capacity!!! Makes my deuce look like a s10.
And they can move so much more out of their "spec" just like a 916, 920, or even a HET. I know of a 5 ton tractor that moved 218k.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I picked up my M275A2 from Bruce Kubu, Jumbo the restored M125 was there. That is when I learned that deuces are really small.

ThatXJGuy

I hear what you all are saying, I appreciate the info and opinions! I think if I can get him to come down a few thousand I'm going to jump on it. If it turns into a collector-mo-bile that only goes to shows, so be it. If it turns out to be a good business opportunity, awesome. Why would the M747 be of use to anybody else? It has a 6' kingpin height and its oversized so it wouldn't fit on many other trucks, maybe just other HETs? The parts scarcity doesn't scare me much, the trailer tires do a little but I think I should be able to find civvy tires if nothing else. 19.5s aren't uncommon at all in the civvy world, maybe the wide ones like that are but different wheels would solve that problem.

ReoRider

The 747 trailer is actually quite sought after. It along with the current M1000 version, provide some of the biggest platforms for hauling seriously heavy equipment. They are wicked expensive when new in the commercial versions, and hence the surplus models also get a good price. Would be quite an adventurous combo with the M123. I'd have the most fun by going back to the LeRoi V8 in the tractor, as the NA diesel is not too exciting.

Special T

The 1400x24 NDT are pretty rare and I don't think are in production. You can buy Dot approved bias and radial tires but your likely to spend close to a grand a piece for new. Additionally if those have the bolt together wheels most Tire shops will have a hard time demount and mounting them. You would likely need all the new wheel studs to bolt them together for even a flat repair.

The 15x19.5 dot approved are not in production and have not been for some time. The metric mark equivalent is 385/65x19.5. I know that Titan makes a hwy 15x19.5 that used to be the General Tire mold that was dot approved. They would likely work for the application but are marked Non Highway Service because they don't pay Federal Excise tax when making them. A big ticket if you get caught hauling them down the road. The titans would likely run $750ish ea new.

There are solutions for the trailer tires like going to a duel Tire setup if they are the standard 10 hole bud. I can see spending a few grand just for used Tire wheel spares if you plan on using it at all for work.

ThatXJGuy

The 747 trailer is actually quite sought after. It along with the current M1000 version, provide some of the biggest platforms for hauling seriously heavy equipment. They are wicked expensive when new in the commercial versions, and hence the surplus models also get a good price. Would be quite an adventurous combo with the M123. I'd have the most fun by going back to the LeRoi V8 in the tractor, as the NA diesel is not too exciting.
But what do people do about the oversized overheight kingpins?

quickfarms

But what do people do about the oversized overheight kingpins?
The kingpin is the normal heavy duty size.

To adjust the height you just use the tall risers on the fifth wheel

Another way is to use a jeep

My 15 ton is fun, just have to wear gloves when the AC is on high

Last edited:

NEIOWA

In some states you may purchase an over width load permit by NOT a permit for over width vehicle/trailer.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I would just have to put my dolly on 16.00s and it would be right there at the height dang near. I could always raise the plate. Be killer looking being towed behind a cargo truck.

Dirt71

Man, buy it buy it buy it.... I owned several 10 tons back a few years ago and loved every minute. You can search my user name and see just how heavy I was into the 10 tons. If I can help with any concerns you may have give me a call 904-891-0444

David

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks