• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So its 4 am right

hoss0311

So its 4 am and i just got done working on the 1009 i switched it from 24 to 12v. By far the best thing i have ever done. Took me a little bit to get it done I wanted to make sure it was done right. I had so much trouble with the 24v starters going out that **** china crap. Now i understand everything on the truck with it being 12v. I wish that i would of done it the first day i got it. I also put new wheel bearings in and u joints in the front end. oorah semper f:driver:

JUNKYARDJOHN

So its 4 am and i just got done working on the 1009 i switched it from 24 to 12v. By far the best thing i have ever done. Took me a little bit to get it done I wanted to make sure it was done right. I had so much trouble with the 24v starters going out that **** china crap. Now i understand everything on the truck with it being 12v. I wish that i would of done it the first day i got it. I also put new wheel bearings in and u joints in the front end. oorah semper f:driver:
I've spent many a long night, out in my shop laying under one of my old trucks. Sometimes you just feel the need to finish up on the job. congratulations. John

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't want to jump on the band wagon here but I must ask, why is this the best thing you have done? What kind of problems led you to make the swap? Is there anything that you have gained over a stock CUCV? Many folk criticize the CUCV electrical system maybe out of confusion. Many call it a hodgepodge but I think it's a work of art (sans 1010s). I can use it on everything 12v I have and everything 24V.

wikallen

If you are happy with it, then that is "ok" in my book. Now you have the rest of the weekend to enjoy your truck instead of working on it more. I tend to get that way myself. Work on it until it is done or until I fall asleep with a wrench in my hand.

K9Vic

Your truck is American why are you using china parts? That your problem right there.
Most of these cheap cost starters are made in China and 1/3 the price of a Delco Remy from Napa. Myself I would try getting it rebuilt and if not then go with one I know was made or re-manufactured in the USA.

JUNKYARDJOHN

I've got a regular old alternator/starter rebuilder in this little town I live in, & count myself lucky for it. I always went to napa for all of my quality name brand parts like timken, walker, gates & goodyear, but lately everything I get.... even from there, (AND I ALWAYS ASK) is made in china... or made in japan.... they just rebox it in a napa box... when did this stuff start??? It's no wonder this countrys broke. The good ole U.S of A doesn't manufacture anything anymore. WHATS GOING ON??? I went to 8 different auto parts stores before I found a simple assed wheel cyl. that was made in this country. Kinda makes you want to puke.. putting chineeze parts on an AMERICAN made military workhorse. oh-well RANT OVER :cookoo: John

Last edited:

DMaddox

Its not the falt of the workforce. Thank your government for all of the tax breaks for imported goods. Nafta will be a "gaint sucking sound" (Ross Perot)
Same goes for china japan and ever other third world country that walmart tries to make better:x

Fleg

Its not the falt of the workforce. Thank your government for all of the tax breaks for imported goods. Nafta will be a "gaint sucking sound" (Ross Perot)
Same goes for china japan and ever other third world country that walmart tries to make better:x

Japan is hardly a third world country and China would be classified as a developing country. Blame the people who purchase the goods more then anything, the choice is in their hands. You can buy an American made product or a product refurbished by an American company but most choose to buy the cheapest thing they can get.

DMaddox

Japan is hardly a third world country and China would be classified as a developing country. Blame the people who purchase the goods more then anything, the choice is in their hands. You can buy an American made product or a product refurbished by an American company but most choose to buy the cheapest thing they can get.

I totaly agree with everything you just said,, thankyou walmart shoppers just to name a few

JUNKYARDJOHN

I wasn'y trying to start a political conversation. You guys are kinda preachin to the chior on this subject. Theres 8 auto parts store in this little town. I recently went to all 8... on a mission to find a simple AMERICAN made wheel cylinder for my oh-9. Finally #8 had one. They were in an old looking wagner box, at a mom & pop type parts store & looked like it had been on the shelf quite a while. Took me all afternoon to find em. It's not supposed to be that hard. I buy local & AMERCAN MADE whenever I can, regardless of the almighty dollar. John :deadhorse: (rant over)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks