• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So just what am I looking at here?

ElkyRacer

So I love junkyard digging. Its just neat to walk around and find interesting things. Well last week I found the very definition of that! I never would have thought to see on of these in a junkyard, in MY lifetime at least. Couldnt find any data plates on it. So what am I looking at here? Hes willing to sell, and as I have no space/time/money/spousal blessings, I cant bring it home and give it any time. But I figured someone should/would on here. Hes not bad about crushing stuff so Im not worried about it getting trashed. Just figured Id pass it along and learn a little bit about it.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j230/ElkyRacer/Elkys Mobile Uploads/c0cb9b9f.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j230/ElkyRacer/Elkys Mobile Uploads/836574ab.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j230/ElkyRacer/Elkys Mobile Uploads/18b359ae.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j230/ElkyRacer/Elkys Mobile Uploads/269920dd.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j230/ElkyRacer/Elkys Mobile Uploads/0a1159d2.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WWII Jeep, either a Ford or Willys, kinda hard to see the front crossmember: Tubular is Willys, square is Ford. Where is it so we can a come runnin . . .

ElkyRacer

Im pretty sure when I looked in the engine bay, the bottom crossmember under where the radiator would be still had the cursive F and part of an O still visable so I figured it was a Ford. Just wasnt sure if it was all completely orig. Its located in Texarkana Tx, and he said he wants $600 for the whole thing.

5ton4ever

Looks like the civilian model. I don't see the reliefs in the sides for the shovel, axe, and pick. Did the military models have these on all years? :???: What's under the hood?

mbc

The civilian models didnt have the tool boxes in the rear wheelhose. Also the military jeep had 9slat grille. The civilian jeep only had 7. I could be wrong. It happens a lot.

ElkyRacer

Looks like the civilian model. I don't see the reliefs in the sides for the shovel, axe, and pick. Did the military models have these on all years? :???: What's under the hood?
Nothing under the hood. Has a set of exhaust manifolds for some sort of V6. It did have one wheelwell toolbox on the drivers side. Didn't pay attention to the other side. The small amount of cancer I could easily find was on the passenger floorpan where it met the side of the tub.

armytruck63

It looks like a Ford to me. I believe those are the Ford type tool box lids. Someone extended the windshield frame at one point, probably as part of a kit for a hard top. The gages are probably 12 volt replacements.

I covet the front hubs.:drool:

$600 for this is a good deal.

Danger Ranger

Its name is Hurley, its a WWII jeep of some sort (already stated and debated), and it is looking for a good home, thats what your lookin' at!:-D:roll:

Somebody save it please, I don't care how many gazillion there are out there...!:wink::rolleyes:

Danger Ranger

WHAT?!?!?!? DOn't part it out! Save it! If you get lucky you can make money along the way. Don't even have to restore it all the way...I think we part out more than we scrap, destroying our history even faster...

ElkyRacer

Buy it, part it out, you'll make some $$$$$$$$$
If I werent already purchasing two full size Cherokees, trust me I would pick this thing up in a heartbeat. A little 4.3, 4sp, waggy axles and some 33s would make a cool little sucker to run around in. I just dont have the time/money/space right now. :-|

mikes

Correct WW2 Grill, Correct winshield, extension add & it also looks like it was set up for doors, correct Ford Tool box Lids, Also noticed Ford Battery Bracket in the rear of the GPW. Does it have an engine if so look for the engine number that could help with ID Also ford serial #'s are located on the left side of the frame by the shock mount. MB's would have a tag on the frame by the front bumper gusset also on Left side. Also noticed it has Ford Brake & clutch Pedals. You can also look at the rear of the front seat for a ford F to see if those are ford also. Heck does it have a Sparton Horn? Just that is worth 200.00 Good Find, $600 good price wish it was closer because I would gobble it up whay are all the great finds so far away my .02 Mike

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I thought you guys would be interested in the next chapter of this little Jeep's life. Since I had a trip to Texarkana planned anyway, I brought along a trailer just in case this Jeep was a keeper. It was, thankfully, and she followed me home. I started cleaning her out there at the hotel parking lot at New Boston (during a tornado warning no less), and I think I filled the dumpster half way. This is after throwing away all kinds of misc junk back at Ms B's Junkyard. Then here at home, another trash can full of crap was generated. I mean this thing had carpet over fiberglass covering every inch of the interior. and a quarter to one half inch of peeling bondo over the entire exterior. Well all that is gone now and here is the result. She is a 1943 Ford GPW with matching frame and glovebox serial numbers. The frame is exceptional, but the body will need floors and a LH front quarter panel, and fuel sump.

Attachments

Last edited:

Danger Ranger

HOLY MOLY..................that can't be the same jeep that sat in the junkyard!!!!!!!!!:cookoo:

You cleaned that thing out fast....and painted it too?!?!?!?
It is time for either a build thread or a story...:jumpin::jumpin::jumpin:

Oh, and does it run and drive now too? That would be amazing!

Last edited:

ElkyRacer

Wish you would have let me know when you came in town. I would have met up and helped you. I'm very very VERY glad it ended up with someone who is going to do something worthwhile with it rather than hacking it to bits. Thanks for saving it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks