• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So, on a scale of "Meh" to "Dude, you're gonna die by death wobble"

glaser06

There were 2 options, a 2 leaf reg duty and a 3 leaf hd for front, all same length. Rear spring sets had 2 lengths and came in 4,5,8 and 10 or 11 IIRC.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There were 2 options, a 2 leaf reg duty and a 3 leaf hd for front, all same length.
Man, are you going to make me dig up the correct info for the K-series springs?
I don't really care what the aftermarket offers these days, as I thought we were discussing stock suspensions here.

And no, it's definitely not uncommon for previous owners to have changed springs, which is why I included two new vehicles in my example earlier.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a K-20 with the 6.2, yes it was 1,400 lbs. per spring. The K-10 had a 3,600 lb. capacity in the front.
Not sure what the military specified, but on a regular K-30 it was 2,250 lbs. per spring.
That's three different rates, not counting the K-5, which may differ from the pickups. And again, the M1009 may have differed from that.

And since you rarely believe me, please check it out yourself on the GM Heritage site.

rustystud

Then I'm screwed. Never had any space between the bump stop and frame, on any of my K-series.

So your saying the bumper is touching the frame all the time ? Man you must have the worst ride ! I bought new OEM springs for mine last year. They cost about $200.00 . I also installed the "ORD" heavy duty shackle kit and poly bushing kit. It now rides extremely well ! Forgot to mention the new shock absorbers.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, my bump stops are not only touching the frame, they're attached to it. Luckily there's space below the bump stops and the plate the U-bolts attach to, so the ride is okay.

I knew I had something DSCN0281[1].jpgwith space between the bump stop and frame.
Different setup than on a K-series, though.

Last edited:

Ilikemtb999

So your saying the bumper is touching the frame all the time ? Man you must have the worst ride ! I bought new OEM springs for mine last year. They cost about $200.00 . I also installed the "ORD" heavy duty shackle kit and poly bushing kit. It now rides extremely well ! Forgot to mention the new shock absorbers.

hes just being a dick instead of noting that you said bump stop to frame instead of bumpstop to u-bolt plate.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too fought the dreaded death wobble. After replacing everything possible on the axle. It still was there. The cure for me was new leaf spring bushings. I replaced both on the front springs and the ones in the frame at the shackles. From those pics you posted those spring eyes look pretty bad. The arches look normal to me.

rustystud

hes just being a dick instead of noting that you said bump stop to frame instead of bumpstop to u-bolt plate.
Are you seriously calling me a "dick" ? Where are the moderators ? So I might have mixed up my references of where the rubber bumper was, but there is suppose to be two inches of clearance. So who's being the dick here ! It's people like you who give sites like this bad reputations with your crappy attitudes. I was trying to help.

Last edited:

Ilikemtb999

Are you seriously calling me a "dick" ? Where are the moderators ? So I might have mixed up my references of where the rubber bumper was, but there is suppose to be two inches of clearance. So who's being the dick here ! It's people like you who give sites like this bad reputations with your crappy attitudes. I was trying to help.
Nope, I was attempting to explain what the other guy was doing to you since you seemed a bit confused by his responses and also clarifying how you had terminology mixed up (something he was not doing but rather just egging you on with his responses).

re-read and you'll see I was trying to help you.

glaser06

On a K-20 with the 6.2, yes it was 1,400 lbs. per spring. The K-10 had a 3,600 lb. capacity in the front.
Not sure what the military specified, but on a regular K-30 it was 2,250 lbs. per spring.
That's three different rates, not counting the K-5, which may differ from the pickups. And again, the M1009 may have differed from that.

And since you rarely believe me, please check it out yourself on the GM Heritage site.
So the k-10 had higher capacity springs than the k-20? You sure about that?

Edit: Followed your advice and pulled up the 1984 data sheet. Here are the screenshots

I was clearly off in my numbers. It looks like the only two spring rates offered were actually 1850lbs and 2250lbs, a regular duty (2 leaf) and an HD (3 leaf) offering (man, wasn't this mentioned before? ). Not sure where you confirmed my incorrect memory on the K-20 from though.

Last edited:

glaser06

The way to check the front springs is to measure the distance of the bump stop to frame. It should be 2" for new springs.
2"? **** no wonder my springs have spots on them from the bumps hitting. I have between 5/8" and 3/4" depending on the bumper when sitting on level ground.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited: