• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So... this happened today....

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Indeed. I looked at my options and none of them were where I wanted to spend yesterday and the wrecker was a much better value of time/money/effort. No sense spending a day self recovering when I'm literally in my back yard!
Pretty amazing that they even rolled from their yard to yours for a single dead president.

I love the chrome and flashing lights and strobes and gold metal flake and pinstripes, but I don't think they even crank their rotators - much less engaging the PTO on our local large wreckers for less than a grand. Guess that happens in the big city...

Grover Cleveland.jpg

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty amazing that they even rolled from their yard to yours for a single dead president.

I love the chrome and flashing lights and strobes and gold metal flake and pinstripes, but I don't think they even crank their rotators - much less engaging the PTO on our local large wreckers for less than a grand. Guess that happens in the big city...

View attachment 860390
He was a local guy who owns his own shop. I'm lucky to live in a small community where pretty much everyone knows everyone else.

He was also embarrassed that his truck ended up sliding all over my yard trying to winch me out... 🤣😆😁

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A buddy of mine has a hydraulic winch from a HMMV he said he will probably work a deal out with me on.
I have the 20k# winch on my bobbed 5 ton and I absolutely love it, i pulled my mother in laws chevy truck sideways through the mud on the lower part of our cleared property with it to get her unstuck, i also used it to drag a 40' storage container flat on the ground through the woods and get it into palce to be my shed/workshop.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I once had to dig under my truck from front to back, under the axles, to make a path for my winch cable.

From there I hooked it to a giant motorhome, it's driver kind enough to help me get out of the Fallon, NV mud flats.

Talk about ruined clothes...

DG
Wow. I guess having a pair (or two or three) sets of coveralls in a zip-lock bag just in case you ever need to get back in the cab of your MV.

The question that I always have is - WHY drivers don't stop - rather than keep churning and burning until the axles are sitting on the ground or worse? Best I have been able to figure is that it's a 6x6 and it aughta be tough and able to chew through anything...

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was sitting still on the edge of the flats after just getting the front stuck. The rest of the truck just sank by itself, a hopeless situation.

The reason was I spied some MV's about a half mile off, and wanted to get a closer look. Bad idea.

If anyone knows the Fallon Mud Flats, you know what I mean. "Quick Mud".

DG

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I was sitting still on the edge of the flats after just getting the front stuck. The rest of the truck just sank by itself, a hopeless situation.

The reason was I spied some MV's about a half mile off, and wanted to get a closer look. Bad idea.

If anyone knows the Fallon Mud Flats, you know what I mean. "Quick Mud".

DG
Never been to Fallon, but I could imagine the miserable feeling if the truck just started sinking down into a bog...

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow. I guess having a pair (or two or three) sets of coveralls in a zip-lock bag just in case you ever need to get back in the cab of your MV.

The question that I always have is - WHY drivers don't stop - rather than keep churning and burning until the axles are sitting on the ground or worse? Best I have been able to figure is that it's a 6x6 and it aughta be tough and able to chew through anything...
Mine wasn't quite so deep as the pics when I got stuck. The burying happened when I had hooked up both of my 4x4s and was trying to get it out without calling a wrecker. Once she buried, I shut it down and made the call.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks