• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So, what's the deal with trailer prices? My weekend rant.

a175

I'm not trying to step on anyone's tube, just curious.
I understand free market awesomeness, supply/demand, and so on. However, I also believe in business ethics and the reality of "whatever is on the shelf isn't making you money". I learned that by managing a surplus shop in Texas.
The reason I ask is the (in my opinion) apparent price gouging of certain items. I probably have the wrong terminology, and there's more ignorance in me than there is awareness, but for what reason other than making a buck is there?

Example-
I bought an M105A2 from GL. I paid $187 total. I realize that it's waaaay more trailer than I need or want, so I put it on the market to sell or trade. Not here, of course, as I don't have enough posts yet. Mainly local stuff.
The first obstacle was how much I should ask. I started at around $500. It seemed to be around the average asking price. I didn't think it was worth that much, but it was in fantastic shape, and if I could get close to that in trades I would have been happy.
Well, of course, it wasn't moving. Several calls, but no takers once I described how big it was.
I dropped it to $400, then $300. Then I started thinking how worthless it was just sitting in the yard. I didn't like it (I thought it looked cool, but it was useless to me), and I obviously wasn't going to get what I wanted for it anytime soon. I have some pressing financial matters, so I said the heck with it.
I got a number of a local fella who already had one, and was told he might want another. After some haggling (which I think is the funnest part), the guy handed me a check for $225. Less than I hoped, but more than I paid. And it was worth $0.00 up to that point.
I guess maybe the difference is that I bought it to use it, rather than to sell it. I considered it a tool instead of an investment. When I decided that I didn't really want it after all, only then did it become "merchandise".
What I discovered was that what I really needed was something in the M101 size range. It's amazing how different the pricing is for the smaller, more convenient, and no doubt more-in-demand trailers. I've never bought one at auction, so I can't say for certain how much they go for. I wouldn't imagine that they'd be that high, though. But, then, maybe I'm just an idiot.
I suppose this is more just letting out frustration than anything else. I'm going through a pretty big trial (literally) in my life, and it's a situation in which I have to hold most of my opinions in.
I'm not new to forums by any means, but I am a cherry here. I've seen some real good folks on this board, and I don't want anyone to think that this little rant in any way changes my idea of how great this place is.
Thanks for hearing my whining.
You may bash at will, and dogpile if necessary. Game on.
Mods/Admin- You can move this if it would be more appropriate somewhere else.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Seems to be the way it goes. Smaller and more user friendly=$$$$$!
I have bought a number of 101a2s and they have been in the $500 region.

armadillofz1

price follows demand. if everyone had a deuce then 105s would be in high demand. everyone has a pick up truck, so 101s are the cats pajamas. saw a 101a3 bring over 800 at GL auction yesterday. that's close to 1000 out the door.

ODw/envy

Like you said the 105 is relatively worthless, if you do not have something big and tall to haul it with. They are great for a deuce of 5 ton though. I mean no offense to you but why do people, in general, believe that the price of something should increase just because they have owned it? Throw on some fresh paint, new brakes, bearings, service, customize, or provide a service I am incapable or unwilling to do and we will talk. I have seen very nice trailers (105s) go for as much as $1200-1500, but they were in exceptional condition and color matched to the tow rig w/ new canvas and not a scratch in the paint.

I have a 2007 M105A2 that I payed $175 for (virtually brand new and complete) and could have bought many for the same price. Why should I or anyone else buy one for more?

The 101 series is more desirable and will go for between $175-800, depending or model, condition, and location. I payed $750 for an exceptional example (M101A2) that was 800 mile one direction, and am not sorry I did.

My thoughts on the matter.

OD

aggopian

Here in NJ that trailer would have lasted about a day at $500.
There's 2 listed on Craigslist here for around 1k each and I don't doubt they will be gone in a week.
But I feel your pain, I took a bath on my race car and trailer when I sold it. Saw others in worse shape/older go for more but couldn't get mine sold for a long time.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
so your mad that a trailer you could not use is worth way less than one you can use. I mean you were trying to make a 270% profit when you first listed your M105.

Anyhow as you found out a M105 is just about useless unless you want to use it for storage or own a 2.5 ton or 5ton truck

The 101s are much more user friendly and are worth and command a higher price.

derf

I got 3 M101A2s in the last year for under $300 each. Only one had canvas but all three had bows. You just have to be patient and bid what you want to pay. The lady at Fort Polk said they had a large number of trailers coming up when my last two were picked up there.
EUCs and registration in LA are a pain, but, again, patience.
I sold one A2 to a buddy for what I paid and he gave me his old A1 which I modified to suit my needs.

paulfarber

I looked a bit and could not find an M105 for less than $500 that included racks and bows. I got mine for $250-ish and it will go behind the A2.

I don't really see the utility of the M series trailers.... way to tall and only a ton? You can get a low height drive on trailer that holds a ton for < $300. Less than $500 if you get a name brand one. CL is full of trailers.

I completely agree that unless YOU upgrade the trailer SOMEWAY then don't expect the smart people to simply throw money at your feet. Paint it, new tires etc etc add some value then buyers will see that value and the cost can be justified.

mcmullag

I guess the original question is why do M101's sell for so much more than the bigger M105's. Good answers. Just to chime in....my M105 goes behind my deuce for parades, that's it. The M105 weighs 2,750 lbs. empty. The M101 evidently works good behind regular full size suv's and pickups for weekend chores.

zout

Supply and Demand vote as well. I can only use 1 - M105 to pull behind the 109. But there are now 3 otehr vehicles getting worked on that will eventually get 3 101 trailers - more handy - easier to utilize - fit more applications - almost anything will tow them.

Was just watching the GL sales of the trailers yesterday just to get a feel of pricing on them.

BTW - I like "cherries" (but not in the same reference you are speaking - anyone that has hung around me knows what I mean). More reason for you to come over to the GA RALLY this fall.

Carl_in_NH

Look no further than Supply and Demand for your answer. An M-101 trailer can be used by anyone with a full sized pick-up truck, and an M-105 requires an M-35 or better to haul. For most practical applications, if you’ve already got an M-35 the trailer provides little utility; the bed is high enough so that if you can put the load in the trailer, you might as well put the load in the truck’s bed instead. The trailer is very hard to see behind the truck, making backing impossible without a ground guide. It’s really only useful for parades and when you’ve got the bed of the truck so full of stuff that you need ‘overflow’ room.

The M-101, OTOH, can be pulled by a normal pick-up truck, maneuvered fairly easily, and used for more practical loads with a truck that has much less cargo bed capability than a deuce. Far wider number of people can make use of an M-101 for real practical reasons than an M-105, and therefore the demand and price is going to be higher.

The same rule applies to things like machines tools; the much larger industrial tools go for scrap prices or less – because they don’t fit into a home shop easily, while the smaller, much less capable tools like Atlas and South Bend go for very large dollars. There’s more demand for smaller tools that people can fit into their small or basement shops, so the prices are far higher for tools that can’t hold a candle to the capability of their larger brethren.

There is no magic; just the free market, doing what it does (and should do).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M105s are mostly storage. They seem to multiply around here but I usually grow weary of having more than 2 and give the overstock away . The 101 trailers are about as handy of a trailer as you can get. My M101A3 is far and away my most useful trailer. Something must be said about a free market and how it sets it's own prices.

My first live DRMO auction they set minimum bid for M105s at $90 and most sold.for that. Musta been a hundred of them.

a175

so your mad that a trailer you could not use is worth way less than one you can use. I mean you were trying to make a 270% profit when you first listed your M105.

Anyhow as you found out a M105 is just about useless unless you want to use it for storage or own a 2.5 ton or 5ton truck

The 101s are much more user friendly and are worth and command a higher price.
I'm not mad at all at what MINE sold for. As I said, I got more than I paid for it. Had I just broke even I would've been ok.
The only thing that was discouraging was how expensive the M101 series of trailers are.

Mostly I figure I just needed something to whine about.

a175

I got 3 M101A2s in the last year for under $300 each. Only one had canvas but all three had bows. You just have to be patient and bid what you want to pay. The lady at Fort Polk said they had a large number of trailers coming up when my last two were picked up there.
EUCs and registration in LA are a pain, but, again, patience.
I sold one A2 to a buddy for what I paid and he gave me his old A1 which I modified to suit my needs.
What part of LA are you in? I'm right down the road from Polk.

a175

Supply and Demand vote as well. I can only use 1 - M105 to pull behind the 109. But there are now 3 otehr vehicles getting worked on that will eventually get 3 101 trailers - more handy - easier to utilize - fit more applications - almost anything will tow them.

Was just watching the GL sales of the trailers yesterday just to get a feel of pricing on them.

BTW - I like "cherries" (but not in the same reference you are speaking - anyone that has hung around me knows what I mean). More reason for you to come over to the GA RALLY this fall.
I'd love to (even if ANYWHERE in GA is too close to Ft. Benning for my taste), maybe next year... or whenever I'm done with this battle.
I'd like to go see my old stomping grounds in Savannah, anyway.

bucksnort59

I'm confused.
I look at some of the Bama auctions and they have to pair up A2's just to get rid of them. Maybe you're in the wrong market. Here, the Wisco Guard keeps their stuff in good condition, hence the higher priced.

Oldfart

What I have noticed is there is a wide spread around the nation on what the GL trailers go for. And no matter where, the sales prices have been increasing. Generally, M101's sell for more than M105's, but a M101 in GA can be had for less than a M105 in Colorado. The other thing I have noticed is that GL moves (or has the Government move) these things to different sites for disposal. We have picked up some M105's from Ft. Riley in Kansas and some from Ft. Carson in Colorado. The ones in Kansas bid to less than the ones in Colorado. Some of the trailers from Ft. Carson were shipped in from Ft. Riley for the sale. Could that be because they bring $100 more in Colorado??? Some of the best sale prices I have seen on GL are in PA, but the toll road just over rides any savings. Sales prices at Barstow are almost as good as PA, but our last load out of there was almost as expensive as our trip to PA.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks