• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So who has bumped the power on a 6CTA cummins

nevrenufhp

Less engine life is a trivial amount, if it gets taken care of. Oil changes, valve adjustments, and not hammering on it when it's less than operating temp. That truck in the videos is still like that, shifts at 2900, and no load will rev to 3050, just from tightening the springs. The shim method is a cheap first start, or if you're bored.

Last edited:

Trango

Great to know. Thanks! I'll put P pump governor springs on the list of stuff to keep an eye out for (or I may just shim the existing springs).

SCRAP

looks pretty easy, willing to try the shim method first, just looking for 300-500rpm more to make the tranny shift faster, it takes a while to reach high gear.

nevrenufhp

Dragging up an old thread, but this one keeps getting hits. I had a thought. What about marine injectors for you adventurous types? The ones used in the 450hp marine 6CT.
Just imagine, those injectors, a #0 plate full forward, and a Holset HX55. Possibly stock turbo with an HT3B in compound. Hmmmmm

Last edited:

nevrenufhp

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg231/caseyray63/4a05240daaae5c186a91a0fe2817bf3d.mp4
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg231/caseyray63/cfe2c2d5ff8ab4212b1a460310a801e4.mp4
Here's 2 vids of an F800 with a hopped up 8.3. This one has the marine injectors, a #0 fuel plate, 3k gov springs, and a Holset HX50 turbo. It goes from about 20 to 65mph in a real hurry. He said he only gave it half pedal, and shifted at only 2300. He also said it's quicker than his old (turned up)12 valve Dodge. The smoke in the second vid is adjustable, yes, for those that like it, it can make a lot more smoke(or less for those that dont),

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That guy behind you really fall's back once the smoke start's puffing out. Thanks for posting the video's. Do you have any drive by shot's?

xx506xx

im new to the SS but boy what a welth of info i bought a m931a2 a few weeks ago from sparta most of our 8.3s are not the p-pump there the M&W pump the P-pump came in a few years later from what i read and what my truck has on it. but thats not a bad thing there very easy to trun up did my in about a half hour if u read the low buck site and follow it. what i a difference. most people would be happy with just tacking the pre bost fuel limit out, off the line performance would be much better with not much more smoke. if u turn up the fuel like i did took it as out as i could with out removing it u get a far amount of smoke for a sec off the line then it clears up, this is with no load i have not tryed with a load behind it. i bet i will back in the trun the pre bost limit up a little.
hope this helps Errol

lakeydna

Dragging up an old thread, but this one keeps getting hits. I had a thought. What about marine injectors for you adventurous types? The ones used in the 450hp marine 6CT.
Just imagine, those injectors, a #0 plate full forward, and a Holset HX55. Possibly stock turbo with an HT3B in compound. Hmmmmm
This what I'm thinkin' :ditto: Here's a M1028 CUCV been working on. I've some big plans for the old M931A2....

Attachments

Posting to "ear mark" this thread.

I have a 1991 BMY M932a2. It has the Cummins 8.3 turbo 6CTA. I wouldn't mind a little extra power but the links and videos posted so far don't apply to my motor's setup. I'll post photos and numbers when I can later.

nevrenufhp

A 91 should have the MW, similar to the one in the videos on page 2. On the pump numbers, it will say what it is. Starts with a "PES6", then the next letters are the model(MW, P, VE, etc). After those letters, it shows the size of the plungers(elements), which are either 10 or 12mm, once in a while 11mm. Then, the governor type(RSV/RQV). Lastly, will be the 4 number variation, which doesnt mean much to most of us. That tells you if you have a P3000, P7100, etc.

xx506xx

i used the "low buck diesel power" page just look it up in google and look for the M&W pump part its very straightforward there are allso common on the IH dt466s its very easy did mine in no time very easy if i get the time ill post some pics of the 2ports u need to get in to on the M&W pump

nevrenufhp

i used the "low buck diesel power" page just look it up in google and look for the M&W pump part its very straightforward there are allso common on the IH dt466s its very easy did mine in no time very easy if i get the time ill post some pics of the 2ports u need to get in to on the M&W pump
That's the same link that's in my signature. It's an MW pump, which is a little different from an M&W pump(sled pullers are familiar with that one). Yes, the MW pump I have listed is in the DT466 section, and also made a video in this thread, on page 2(post #18.)

With nevrenufhp's post, I was able to get the following:
Bosch PES6MW100 / 120RS1143
Do I need to buy any parts or would I be able to get away with a "free upgrade"?
Thanks for all the help! Here's what I'm working with:

DSCN1149.jpg

nevrenufhp

That's the same one I have in the vids, on post #18 of this thread. It's just adjusting the fuel screw out. If you're feeling frisky, you can remove the screw all together, but it will get really hot and make some serious smoke(not the recommended way). Super easy, and takes about 10 min to do.
Wish I knew these tricks when I was actually wrenching on these trucks, back in the 90s. They were MW pumps just like yours.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks