• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So who has bumped the power on a 6CTA cummins

FullSpecial

Did you make or extent that box to fit those 2 gauges?
Helps to have a friend that's a welder/fabricator. Cut the end off, then bent some heavy sheet over the top of it to match, was just large enough to get the Hewitt Industries gages in. Had to angle upwards a fair amount so they could be seen.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bolt pattern is larger on the P. You will need the pump and support brackets, fuel lines and their supports/isolators, injectors, gear housing, pump drive gear, maybe the drain line for the injectors, supply line from the filters to the pump, and the return fitting....maybe.

The above pic is of a Ford/Sterling cabover, Ford called them Cargo. See where the intake horn bolts to the intake manifold cover? The C in the 900 series is aftercooled. The afercooler takes up the entire space where the intake cover is bolted on the above engine. The fuel lines on the above pictured engine will not fit on an engine that is aftercooled. One COULD convert the aftercooled engine to charge air cooled, but there are things that differ hardware wise. The cylinder heads on aftercooled engines had a different swirl factor cast into them. Incorrect swirl factor can cause black or white smoke or both, low power, incorrect/un even cylinder burn temps, melted pistons.

The MW pump came about before the P pump. There weren't too many aftercooled, P pumped C series engines made. IIRC there were some engines made around 1998-2000 timeframe that were off road engines and still mechanical, Cummins had the 1st gen ISC for on road around 1998, so they moved the on road emission technology to non road, which included the P pump, but those were mostly stationary engines like pumps, chippers, grinders. Things that had no "ram air".

74M35A2

I have a Bosch P-7100 “P” pump, gear, supports, intake cover, and injector lines, as removed from a 300hp 8.3L Freightliner FL70 if somebody has to have it. Won’t let it go for cheap though. The pump alone gets up to $900 used on eBay.

Hi Will !!! Awesome to hear from you. Hope retirement has been kind to you.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good until a month ago, think I have a pinched nerve, disc issue around C4-5. Mri today. Hows your transplant going?

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A turbo alone will not make more power. Fuel needs to be added.

Lukes_deuce

Is there a larger turbo that can be swaped out for better HP?
I swapped a small hx50 onto my truck and it was too big. The power band on these trucks is small to begin with. Adding a larger turbo alone, will only hurt you. There needs to be additional modifications done to support more air and fuel.

I suggest installing gauges and then adjusting your pump settings. It will make the truck feel much stronger just adding some fuel.

Also on the other hand, I know of a guy who put a BW S366 on his truck, with some pump modifications and the truck pulls much better than stock. The HX40 on the truck is a good turbo. Lots of guys make over 400 hp on them all day.

DeMilitarized

I have a Bosch P-7100 “P” pump, gear, supports, intake cover, and injector lines, as removed from a 300hp 8.3L Freightliner FL70 if somebody has to have it. Won’t let it go for cheap though. The pump alone gets up to $900 used on eBay.

Hi Will !!! Awesome to hear from you. Hope retirement has been kind to you.
What kind of boost are you pushing. Did some pump mods and I can get 39psi from just that and a air filter mod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomTill84

Found 450HP marine Injectors for the 6cta, but don't know the spray patern? The 12 Valve is 145* while the 370HP marine injectors for the 12 Valve are a 155*. Worst Case I guess would to be install the marine pistons in the 8.3.

Lukes_deuce

Found 450HP marine Injectors for the 6cta, but don't know the spray patern? The 12 Valve is 145* while the 370HP marine injectors for the 12 Valve are a 155*. Worst Case I guess would to be install the marine pistons in the 8.3.
If you have the part numbers off the marine injectors, a shop should be able to look up the specs.
I personally feel 450hp will be way to much for an over the road motor in a 5 ton. It’s like adding a 100% over at injector to a stock truck. It’s going to be really hot.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you have the part numbers off the marine injectors, a shop should be able to look up the specs.
I personally feel 450hp will be way to much for an over the road motor in a 5 ton. It’s like adding a 100% over at injector to a stock truck. It’s going to be really hot.
Considering it's a medium duty motor with a radiator that is only so big it'll be burnt to a crisp in no time.

Lukes_deuce

Considering it's a medium duty motor with a radiator that is only so big it'll be burnt to a crisp in no time.
It will definitely be way too hot. Just look at the 370 marines in a 12 valve. Truck would be hot all the time.

Point taken.
Best bet is to take the stock injectors out and have them opened up to your specs. Most injector shops can hone the nozzle and increase flow.

Farm trucker

Hey guys, I have M929a2 that needs an in-frame (no compression in #4). I would really like to give it a little more power without turning up the pump. My ideas so far would be marine injectors and pistons, change timing, TMG air filter, and maybe a bigger turbo and inter cooler. Anyone have an idea how much power this will produce. My goal is to have enough power so it isn’t sluggish and yet the transmission and drivetrain will last. I won’t be using the truck constantly but when I use it, it will be worked.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks