• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So you got your new HUMVEE home. Now What

springbok

So you got your new HUMVEE home and now what. He is my list of what to do, Please add suggestions and I will edit the checklist..

Before ever starting it check the oil and coolant. Some places must drain all fluids so just jumping in and starting it could go south really fast. If you do start it, don’t run or drive it too long, good idea to do things first.

Change the fluids and filters.
Oil is a must, I use 15W40 and it takes about 2 gallons. Even if the filter was dated changed a week ago, change it, who knows what could be in there. Fram PH5 is what I use, $5.99 at pep boys. I change mine and then change it again after 500 miles to make sure to really get fresh and happy oil, remember that when you change the oil you do not get it all out of the oil cooler and such.
Change the trans fluid, I have seen a few that have not had the dipstick tightened and for some unknown reason water seems to run off the hood area right into the dipstick hole. Changing the filter is not a bad idea that is your call.
Drivetrain Oil, change it all. Again, even if your new toy says it only has 500 miles on it, that is 500 military miles and if a spedo breaks they just change it out, they do not set it to the existing miles.
Grease fittings, hit them all, some of these were used in sandy areas, again who knows what is in there.
Check brake and power steering fluid..
Changing the coolant is a good idea, I drain mine, run a cleaner/flusher through it and replace with net. I have actually switched my Humvees over to Evans waterless coolant but that is a different conversation. Time more than miles breaks down standard coolant. Expect about 5 gallons.
I suggest draining the fuel tank and changing the fuel filter. That again is up to you as after changing the fuel filter it takes a bit of cranking to get it filled back up. Adding something like Sea Foam is not a bad idea.
Check the air cleaner. If it is dirty, change it.

Do a full inspection
Walk around and look underneath and check for loose bolts, drips and leaks or anything that may seem missing.
Take a look at your brakes, also make sure that when you release the parking brake it actually does release, no need to burn up the parking brake.
Make sure that your belts are tight.
Look in the engine compartment for any unplugged wires or things that have the wires exposed and could short.
Check your lights and turn signals and brake lights. If any of do not work:
Check the bulbs, check the wires, check the light selector switch and check the turn signal lever. I have had all these give me issues. Other reasons could be the flasher unit in the event of turn signals.
Make sure that your gauges work. The most important ones are the temp gauge and oil pressure gauge.
Check for loose and missing bolts. Remember that it is not uncommon for the military to pull a part off or change out a part and not put all the bolts in or tighten them.
Tire pressure, I run 38 in the front and 40 in the rear. Not sure what others do.

First real test drive
Wear your seatbelt !!!! There are many hard and sharp objects that can leave a mark.. Take it slow and get use to how it drives.
When starting it, wait for the "wait" light to go out. Note that you will see your charge gauge move down into yellow for about 60 seconds, That is normal, it is the glow plugs cycling.
Look for exhaust smoke, White, fuel, bad glow plug is usually the issue. Blue, oil, do not freak as it may have been sitting for the 3 months you have waited for the EUC to clear and oil can work its way into the cylinders. Black is unburnt fuel. Various reasons for that.
On the HUMVEES I have they are a bit louder for about the first 5 minutes, they pump in a bit more fuel until they warm up.
Take it slow. Test that the brakes work, steering is good and tight and all the gears work.
Do not go frothier that you would be OK walking home from. The best is to drive it around close to get it up to full temp. See if the fan comes on. Wipers work, it may rain while you are out and about.
Listen to your truck, feel how it drives, take a second set of ears with you. These things make a good bit of noise but keep an ear out for something that does not sound normal.
When you return home give the truck a good once over to see if there are any leaks, make sure to check the inside of each wheel hub as that is where you will see if the output shaft seal is leaking.

Painting:
Major note, these things are painted with CARC paint. If you are going to sand an area or scuff it up to paint it, wear a respirator... This stuff will kill you. It is very toxic. Same goes for if you are painting with CARC.
The military actually requires a full body suit and a forced remote air system when painting.
Do not sand corrosion on the aluminum, is will just grind the stuff deeper into the metal. Soda or walnut blasting is the best way. If you are going to do it, do it right so in a year you are not doing it again.

Start a log book.
As others have mentioned it is a good idea to record work done, where you got parts and pictures or note where you got the info in the TM.

Now you should have a basic start. There will be a million things that come up, it is all part of owning a HUMVEE. A good bath is nice also.
Note, review the TMs they help a lot.....

Start a list of needs and wants. If you need an output shaft seal get 4 as you will be doing the others at some point. Keep an eye out for "wants" if you come across a great deal and it is on your list, get it as when you "need" it the price may be double. If oil is on sale, get as much as you can afford. I keep about 10 gallons on hand.
I went from a few spare parts to a basement of extras. Remember, there are about 4000 of these hitting the market so when I started with my first one (Pre GP selling them) the pool of people needing parts was small, now there are almost 10X the people looking for parts.

I am sure I missed things so please add suggestions or what others have done…

Last edited:

Predator42

if it helps, I made sure that I kept a running log on my phone using a notes app to write down everything I NEED to do, and everything I HAVE done. I write down the dates I change fluids, the fluid types and the part numbers AND sources I get parts from when I order them, the price I paid and that way I can order them again, or know the cost has gone up or down from the last time. I made friends with a HMWWV mechanic at the local reserve and often text him for advice or for larger jobs I don't feel comfortable with, he stops by my place and shows me how for a nominal fee. I keep a large box of all the parts I buy because if I need one, and it is a small item, I often will buy 2 as the shipping tends to be the same if I have 1 or 2 items. I take PHOTOS of everything BEFORE i work on it so I know where things go back, I recently swapped out my batteries to the 6TL and without the before photos I would have probably reversed the wiring somewhere. I bought a set of half shafts for replacement or spares on the trail. Get a good jack and decent jack stands. I also downloaded all the TMs to a thumb drive for use and keep a copy in the HMMWV in case i find myself at a shop in a small ghost town with no internet...

DatGuyC

I'd also put in there to check the harmonic damper. Mine was bad when I picked the truck up and probably wouldn't have found it if my dad hadn't said something. A bad damper can kill an engine.

fnpurist

So you got your new HUMVEE home and now what. He is my list of what to do, Please add suggestions and I will edit the checklist..

Before ever starting it check the oil and coolant. Some places must drain all fluids so just jumping in and starting it could go south really fast. If you do start it, don’t run or drive it too long, good idea to do things first.

Change the fluids and filters.
Oil is a must, I use 15W40 and it takes about 2 gallons. Even if the filter was dated changed a week ago, change it, who knows what could be in there. Fram PH5 is what I use, $5.99 at pep boys.
Change the trans fluid, I have seen a few that have not had the dipstick tightened and for some unknown reason water seems to run off the hood area right into the dipstick hole. Changing the filter is not a bad idea that is your call.
Drivetrain Oil, change it all. Again, even if your new toy says it only has 500 miles on it, that is 500 military miles and if a spedo breaks they just change it out, they do not set it to the existing miles.
Grease fittings, hit them all, some of these were used in sandy areas, again who knows what is in there.
Check brake and power steering fluid..
Changing the coolant is a good idea, I drain mine, run a cleaner/flusher through it and replace with net. I have actually switched my Humvees over to Evans waterless coolant but that is a different conversation. Time more than miles breaks down standard coolant. Expect about 5 gallons.
I suggest draining the fuel tank and changing the fuel filter. That again is up to you as after changing the fuel filter it takes a bit of cranking to get it filled back up.
Check the air cleaner. If it is dirty, change it.

Do a full inspection
Walk around and look underneath and check for loose bolts, drips and leaks or anything that may seem missing.
Take a look at your brakes, also make sure that when you release the parking brake it actually does release, no need to burn up the parking brake.
Make sure that your belts are tight.
Look in the engine compartment for any unplugged wires or things that have the wires exposed and could short.
Check your lights and turn signals and brake lights. If any of do not work:
Check the bulbs, check the wires, check the light selector switch and check the turn signal lever. I have had all these give me issues. Other reasons could be the flasher unit in the event of turn signals.
Make sure that your gauges work. The most important ones are the temp gauge and oil pressure gauge.

First real test drive
Take it slow. Test that the brakes work, steering is good and tight and all the gears work.
Do not go frothier that you would be OK walking home from. The best is to drive it around close to get it up to full temp. See if the fan comes on. Wipers work, it may rain while you are out and about.

Now you should have a basic start. There will be a million things that come up, it is all part of owning a HUMVEE. A good bath is nice also.
Note, review the TMs they help a lot.....

Start a list of needs and wants. If you need an output shaft seal get 4 as you will be doing the others at some point. Keep an eye out for "wants" if you come across a great deal and it is on your list, get it as when you "need" it the price may be double.

I am sure I missed things so please add suggestions or what others have done…

Great post! Thanks for all your help

dmetalmiki

I'd also put in there to check the harmonic damper. Mine was bad when I picked the truck up and probably wouldn't have found it if my dad hadn't said something. A bad damper can kill an engine.
I second that sugestion, the damper on our engine wobbled like crazy, and the retaining bolt was part way out!.

fnpurist

What kind of grease are you guys liking? I just used Lucas red and tacky complex lithium grease and will let yall know how it does

KansasBobcat

New owners are looking at plenty of projects over a period of months. Probably thousands not hundreds of dollars to get it where you want. I agree you should buy parts in quantity not like I did. One good point: the current buyers are spending much less than those that bought them a few years ago!

ClarkeF

How do you check the harmonic damper? I'm not familiar with that
The dampener is the large assembly at the end of the crankshaft, the bottom-most assembly on the engine which has the pulley's bolted to it to drive the other accessories. The engine cannot be run without the dampener without causing potential damage (note to those with test stands). Inspect the rubber for cracks or damage when the engine is not running. Many are 20-30 years old and have started to deteriorate. Start the engine and get under the front of the truck and look at it running - smooth spinning without issue or is it wobbling? Wobble = bad.

ruSSrt

This is exactly what i was looking for.
Would it be possible to put a list of filter numbers and liquid specs/types needed to do complete 1st time maintenance?

BLK HMMWV

What Jason and I are both saying is it's all in the technical manuals that you should own a copy of or can be found here on the boards in the technical manual section.
Also I recommend that you read all of the stickys on the top of the HMMWV section. the 4th one down will probably answer 90% of your questions.
Bh

Skrilex

Banned
I don’t think I’d change all fluids before ever driving it. That’s wasted money if you end up needing to service major stuff.
I secomd the fram comment, from what I’ve seem I’ll never buy one again. Wix, Napa, mahle, Baldwin, are what I tend to use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks