• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SoCal Nov 2, 2013 Saturday Trail Run in the San Bernardino mountains

Blendmaster2002

Ok guys this will be a day Trail Run in the San Bernardino mountains on Sat Nov 2, 2013.

The meeting place is in Hesperia CA, the road starting point/ Trail head for this run is Bowen Ranch Rd and Roundup way in apple valley CA, going up Coxey Truck Trail (NF 3n14) passed Horse springs Campground we could have lunch or snack here depending on time weather etc., then continue on to big pine flats which is where we will take Holcomb Valley Rd (3n16) to Holcomb Valley Campground, at which point in time everyone can decide if they want to go back the trails for the return trip or make there way home by either continuing on 3n16 to hwy 18 if you go south (right) on 18 it will lead you to the 330 which will take you to the 210 in Highland, taking 18 north (Left) from 3n16 would lead to Lucerne, 18 west of Lucerne would lead you to Victorville and the 15fwy to the east 247 and yucca valley. Or near Holcomb Valley you could also take Van Dusen Canyon Rd (3n09) to the 38 to 18 to the 330 to the 210.

This route can be done easily with a normal 4wd, this will be run on the main roads not jeep trails, but in the Deuce or 5 ton there is a couple turns that with the big truck trucks takes a few forward revers numbers to get through.

This is what I see as a fun day drive trail ride with our trucks all are welcome should plan on 4wd if not bringing an MV just to be safe.
Here’s what’s forecast Sunny High of 55* and a low of 22* 0% chance of rain.

Meeting Place is K-mart in Hesperia 16968 Main Street, Hesperia, CA 92345 , I will be in my m36a2 deuce and a half shouldn’t be able to miss the green truck in the parking lot.

Time meet at K-mart, between 6am-7am 7am roll out.

For fuel planning The distance from the meet place in Hesperia to Holcomb Valley campground is approx. 35 miles so plan for at least 80-90 miles of fuel at your vehicles off road MPG for a round trip from the meet place.

CB channel 5.

Restrooms available at Horse Springs Campground and Holcomb Valley Campground.

Google Satellite image of route:
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...dmtCwIdbJAG-Q;FXxpCwId0EgI-Q&t=h&mra=mrv&z=11

Easy to read general map on dirtopia:
http://www.dirtopia.com/w/images/a/a5/Bigbearmap.jpg

Forestry Satellite image page:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sbnf/...74166&actid=94

to get a bearing on the forestry satellite page zoom out and Horse Springs is the second campground down from the top by Rattlesnake Mountain, then to follow the route back to apple valley follow Coxey road NF 3n14 West to the North to Bowen ranch rd etc.

San Bernardino forest fees info: Basically to drive to the camp ground and back no stopping no pass required if you stop along the way a $5.00 Day Adventure Pass required which are available at retailers such as Big 5 etc., and at the campground if using it as a picnic area I think your supposed to pay for a camping day we will see how it goes as we won’t be camping, at horse springs I have just used it to picnic with an adventure pass.
Adventure Passes info here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/r5/passes-permits

Please post if your going and what you will be in so we can watch for you at the meet place.

So far here is the list in attendance: :tank:

*Blendmaster2002- will be in my M36A2. 2 people.
*FASTNOVA- in his Tan 5 ton. 2 people.
*leo4x4- will be in his M35A2. 2 people.
*Gripy- in his M1008. 1-2 people.
*Prospector GM- In his willys wagon. 3 people.
*Papaydsailor- in his tan HMMWV. 3 people.
*Those Military Guys- in 1 or 2 M923's. 3 people.
*100dollarman - Maybe going, will try to sneak out... 1 person.
*Chp925- Try to make it. 1 person.

Approx.. Total number of people in attendance: 19

Here is a link with follow up pics, stories etc.. to a very similar run we did on New Years to give you an Idea for what to expect, except there shouldn't be any Snow or ice and not as cold enjoy.
SoCal New Years Day Trail Run in the San Bernardino mountains: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...the-San-Bernardino-mountains&referrerid=19939

Last edited:

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Leo, I'll probably be on the road by 5am, if you want to meet somewhere let me know. Maybe somewhere like where the 5 fwy and 60 fwy meet.

Gripy

ok, I got saturday off. I'll be joining you guys on this adventure.

ETA: I'll be in my m1008. What should I bring?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks