• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

socket for front end on m1008

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have a question and thought you guys might have the answer. Is the 'special' deep socket tool to take apart the front hubs on a k-30 the same as a k-10? I have one from my old truck and was hoping not to have to get another one...

Thanks in advance!

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What axle do you have on the K10?
Check OTC Tools online. They list the sockets by application.

Croatan_Kid

Nope, they're different. 1-tons have 6 slots on them and the 1/2 tons have 4. I picked up both sockets for like 30 bucks at my local Advance Auto. I have a 1/2 ton and a M1008, so I between that and working on other people's trucks I figured it was a good excuse to buy tools! Plus it's a HUGE PITA to get the wheel bearings tight like they need to be without the sockets.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the Snap-On version I bought some $25 years ago. Even then it was prolly $80.

acmunro

My 1 ton CUCV's have dana 60 fronts and the socket to fit the wheel bearings is a 4 prong socket. It is a larger 4 prong than the 1/2 - 3/4 ton 4 prong socket. One or two trucks have a large nut with bend over tabs I was told this is the replacement version. Does anyone know that socket size ?

91W350

I just had the Dana 60 apart in my 93 W 250 and I used the same four prong socket on it that I used on my old M1008. I have not been into the front end on this newer M1008. It is a 25,000 mile truck and feels new. I tried to read the sticker on the socket, but it has been abused too much already. Sorry, Glen

tourdog

socket

the right otc number is 7158 . any good heavy truck store will have it or can get it . it is diffent from the 1/2 and the 44 . so you should get it in order to get the right bearing tight ness and blablabla.

Croatan_Kid

Ohhh yeah! I forgot about the big 4 pronged ones, but I'm glad mine has the 6 prong so I aint gotta worry about bending the tabs over the wheel bearing nuts.

91W350

Mine had the tabs, but none were bent. The inside nut has an alignment pin in it. The tabbed washer has a series of holes for the pin and a tab that sits in a groove in the spindle. The outside locking nut clamps the mess together.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks