• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

soft brakes, and some more newbie questions

Ukraine Train

Hi guys,
Today I went to look at a '71 deuce that I'm looking to buy as a parts hauler/rolling billboard for my machine shop. I've been reading up a lot about the trucks but this was my first time ever in one. The owner took me for a ride and it seemed like the brake pedal was really soft, though it seemed to stop ok. Is this normal for this style braking system? He said he's replaced all the wheel cylinders but he does top off brake fluid if it's been sitting for a long time so there must be a leak somewhere. This was the only major potential issue. I'll definitely drive it myself before committing to anything.

How easy is it to add a heater to one of these and what's the cost? It has the scoop on the left fender so maybe it had the heater at one time. Also, the air operated windshield wipers weren't working, and I've heard these can be temperamental. Is there a typical issue with these? I may convert to electric anyway.

welldigger

If he has to add fluid there is still a leak somewhere. The spongy pedal is from air in the brake system. Never assume anything is good. The master cylinder, air pack, or one of the wheel cylinders could be leaking. Adding a heater isn't a big deal. Shop around. They can be found at reasonable prices.

Woodsplinter

Have you checked to make sure air is getting to the wipers? New metal ones are around $95. There are a number of threads about them- there is a mod to convert the blades to civy ones which work much better. If I remember correctly, they cannot be lubricated.

Ukraine Train

Thanks guys, I'll check into it some more. Oh, also, it's freshly painted what the owner described as "official radar absorbing paint that was $150/gal" but it looks like it was done with a brush. It looks good from 20ft but up close you can see streaks in the paint. Is this typical of a factory/military job or did they actually use paint guns when refurbishing these? I'm not sure what paint he actually used, maybe a CARC substitute of some sort.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys, I'll check into it some more. Oh, also, it's freshly painted what the owner described as "official radar absorbing paint that was $150/gal" but it looks like it was done with a brush. It looks good from 20ft but up close you can see streaks in the paint. Is this typical of a factory/military job or did they actually use paint guns when refurbishing these? I'm not sure what paint he actually used, maybe a CARC substitute of some sort.
Oh, that explains it! It is a STEALTH finished truck. They apply it with dirty brushes so it looks more...stealthy. With that coat, you can hear the truck, but not see it. And it leaks brake fluid to make people think it was an old Ford pickup that just passed by! Very high-tech, expensive upgrade, that one.

Seriously, though. If you go to Google www.google.com and use the search syntax: "my question" site:steelsoldiers.com
you are likely to find a wealth of info without having to browse too much.

So, try this: "deuce slow brake leak" site:steelsoldiers.com

Last edited:

nk14zp

It was common when I was in the Army to paint trucks with brushes.

Ukraine Train

When the hot water cab heater is installed, how is air ducted to defrost the windshield? Is there ducting already in place or is it part of the kit? I was thinking a UTV heater like this could be installed for pretty cheap, I'm just not sure how it can be used as a defroster.
SUM-991102-1_ml.jpg

Woodsplinter

When the hot water cab heater is installed, how is air ducted to defrost the windshield? Is there ducting already in place or is it part of the kit? I was thinking a UTV heater like this could be installed for pretty cheap, I'm just not sure how it can be used as a defroster.
View attachment 503294
There are metal ducts behind the dash below the windshields. The under-hood heater brings heated air into the cab via a hose and 90 deg metal elbow. Another hose moves the air to a diverter mounted on the firewall. Two smaller (3") hoses go to the defroster vents. Depending on position of a flap in the diverter, air is directed to the floor or the defroster vents.