• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft Doors vs X doors - what do you prefer?

Waschbrett1981

Hi guys,
Quick question for you.
what would you prefer for a 4 door soft top humvee?

Soft doors or X doors?

Currently I have soft Doors and I am not really happy with those. Everywhere water is coming in and the noise is quite loud.

would be a change to x doors an improvement in terms a leakages and noise?

maybe there are better nOEM doors available, can you recommend?

thanks

marcus

Last edited:

badgerd

Electronic Jedi
X doors leak and rattle more than soft doors. If you take the time to fit them properly and work on seals and rattle reduction, they’re a little better.

My soft doors sealed well and were quiet, I moved to X doors because I added a helmet top and they fit better.

If you’re expecting a night and day difference, you’ll be disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The soft doors you can bend and tweak the door wire in order to make it a tight seal. I live in the Pacific NorthWest and don't have issues with water coming in through the door after a little bit of bending.
X-doors you can adjust the hinges and the latch post a little, but other than that if they don't seal (with a good seal strip around the frame) you're kind of screwed. They're also a lot more noise from rattles and whatnot.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Water, dust, noise, visibility, rattles, weak locking mechanism, possible theft (can be remedied), shipping $$$, and costing more everyday. Your choice.

It's the HumV experience, CAMO

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I much much prefer the X-Doors over the soft doors. Security and esthetics are the main benefits of the X-Doors. Shrapnel resistance over the soft doors is a very minor consideration but what the hell. The X-Doors are much quieter than the soft doors for road noise. Prices for X-Doors is getting ridiculous but they do increase the value of the HMMWV substantially.

Mark

20210502_143551.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I much much prefer the X-Doors over the soft doors. Security and esthetics are the main benefits of the X-Doors. Shrapnel resistance over the soft doors is a very minor consideration but what the hell. The X-Doors are much quieter than the soft doors for road noise. Prices for X-Doors is getting ridiculous but they do increase the value of the HMMWV substantially.

Mark

View attachment 843811
So, silly question here: If there is a canvas top - would you ever lock the doors?
If the doors are locked, what does a replacement canvas cost when the crackhead cuts your top open?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It's a deterrent and with Blink cams it's all I can do.

Mark
Cameras are a definite plus! Especially if they happen to have some sort of motion detection embedded. A friend has a civilian Jeep and he has a metal box bolted through the body down to the frame. He uses that for higher security things. After two tops were cut, he has worked hard to NOT lock the doors.

Dang shame that it has to be that way...

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If someone walks up to the truck at night the camera sensors it and alerts my phone and when that happens a 200w 20K lumens flood light comes on. I wake up to any alerts like that and look at the phone and if need be I can shoot down the stairs to welcome my uninvited guest and welcome him. As I said I do what I can.

Mark

JetbikeAnt

The biggest thing I miss on the M988 I sold is the soft doors. Driving that Truck with all doors off in 2 minutes is something I truly miss. Somedays when it was cool in the morning, but warm in the afternoon, when I got out of work I just took them off and put them across the tunnel and back seats to drive home. The up armored X-doors on my M1045A2 are way cool, but I bet their not fun taking off. This is the one advantage the M998 had over my M1045A2. Now being shot at is a different scenario. LOL!!!!

dhaumann69166

My first Humvee was hard too and hard doors and my second is soft top and soft doors. I don’t notice much of a difference as far as road noise but the soft doors seal way better and don’t rattle. The soft top and doors also seems to hold heat in better in the winter time. The hard top/doors sucked the heat out faster than the fan could push it out. The biggest issue I have with my soft doors is the stitching is starting to come apart on the zippers. I have had stitched it with fishing line but it’s a pain in the ass. Luckily I found someone with a machine to redo the sewing. The plastic windows in the soft doors feel like green house material in the summer making the inside like an oven. After tinting the windows though the heat issue was eliminated.
My biggest concern with the soft doors was branches and brush. I do pasture clearing and tree removal and when we roll into places trails are all overgrown. I have been through cedars, buck brush, thorns and plum thickets and have ZERO rips in the doors or top. All in all I like the soft doors better I will say I like the look of X doors better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks