• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft doors window "spot" removal?

NewHmmwv

I have a bunch of new soft top doors with spots on the windows. I know this pretty much makes them worthless, has anybody found a way to remove the spots?

BTW: Have talked to a lot of upholstery companies that do Jeep or various soft tops but not had much luck. Most say the sewing machine is not wide enough for the doors.

Thanks

DatGuyC

Dont think you can remove them. From what I've read its some kind of bacteria in the vinyl that eats it away from the inside. When I first got my windows they had a decent amount of brown spots but since they have been in the sun for a couple years they have all turned white and aren't that noticeable. I think the UV from the sun kills the bacteria.

sully199

i had marine tinted plastic put In one of my trucks, its great but cost me $800 to do. they had to take the doors apart, because they wont go through the sowing machine, in the frame.

riderdan

Try a plastic polish. Its worth a shot for s couple bucks.
Agreed. I had a convertible with a clear plastic rear window that had some trouble from where it folded. Meguiar's clear plastic polish cleaned it up pretty well. It's not very expensive for a bottle and might be worth a try before going through the hassle and expense of new doors/windows.

ryanruck

As mentioned, for the spots, grab some Meguiar's PlastX. Should be able to find it at O'Reilly, Walmart, etc. It got some black stains out of my plastic and really helped with the scratches.

For the stitching, I'd suggest just redoing it by hand. Go to Harbor Freight and grab one of these quick stitch awls. They're in the home goods area. Really easy to use once you get the hang of it and comes with thread suitable to use for the repairs.

Then give this video a watch and grab some scrap fabric to practice on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k40kKKCGyac

NewHmmwv

Agreed. I had a convertible with a clear plastic rear window that had some trouble from where it folded. Meguiar's clear plastic polish cleaned it up pretty well. It's not very expensive for a bottle and might be worth a try before going through the hassle and expense of new doors/windows.
Has anyone tried Meguiar's PlastX on doors with the spots on windows ? I think they are inside the plastic so I wonder if it would help

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried the PlastX with an air polisher, I used the 3' soft foam pad, take your time and do not overheat the plastic and you will get great results.
Before and after pics are attached
IMG_1601.jpgIMG_1602.jpg

319cssb

I am trying a different route by replacing the Vinyl with polycarbonate sheets.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks