• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft top function

Skrilex

Banned
So if you have a soft top and want to ride around with the top down what is the process for that? Seems like it is a little fussy to put the top on and off along the front edge.

Dock Rocker

It’s a soft top not a convertible top. It was never made to be taken off easily.

Pull the doors off, roll up the rear curtain and ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Action

the process for driving with the top down is to get in a hmmwv with no top and turn the switch to run. wait for the start lamp to go out, then turn to start. put in gear and drive like any other truck.

Action

If your question was meant to be..."How do I get the top off?", undo all the turn buttons and velcro strip (inside), flip it over the hood, slide it to one side out of the windshield channel.

Skrilex

Banned
Maybe I’ll try again using English. “How long does it take to remove the top to drive without, then replace the top afterward”?

id prefer to drive in good weather with doors on and top off, than doors off and top on. Just my preference. My other car is a convertible.

im a little stumped why you’d ever want a soft top if it weren’t to be easily removed?

Last edited:

Action

Maybe I’ll try again using English. “How long does it take to remove the top to drive without, then replace the top afterward”?
……...
How long is the drive?

I can probably get mine off in under 15 minutes. (She would rather it take longer.)
Back on, maybe a bit more if by myself. I have to keep pulling, then pushing, then pulling, then pushing.
If your c-channel is bent, have fun!

Dock Rocker

The more you take it off the better the odds of it falling apart. It want last long if you take it off often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skrilex

Banned
I guess I’ll have to reingineer it. I’m critical of my Mercedes power top because it can’t drop at a stop light, unless it’s a long stop light.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s curious they designed it this way. It seems the benefit of a soft top is forgone with this attachment method.
It is a lot easier the ship and store replacement soft tops than hard tops . How many soft tops can you fit in a container vs. how many hard tops ?

Skrilex

Banned
True, but usually hard tops aren’t in need of replacement unlike soft. I’ve never been to war, but I can imagine a hard top being a little more protection than canvas too.

I will likely make a soft top that slants back like some other fellows here have done. I like the look, but I want to come up with a way that it can quickly whip off the main cabin, maybe roll back and stow on the C pillar. Could be as easy as wide Velcro along the windscreen.

wclark4000

Don't forget that your vehicle was designed to transport troops to the combat zone, not to cruise the PCH. The top is there as a sunscreen and guard against light debris, which was subsequently replaced on the modern battlefield with ARMOR.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter

id prefer to drive in good weather with doors on and top off, than doors off and top on. Just my preference. My other car is a convertible.

im a little stumped why you’d ever want a soft top if it weren’t to be easily removed?
As stated you can roll it up and bungee it and let it be in a roll on the A pillar, or you can remove it. The front rail either slides off or has 8-10 screws holding it on (mine has screws). A little practice and you can get the top off in 10 minutes. It takes a little longer to jigger everything to get it back on, and you MUST have patience when re-inserting the screws or you'll be inviting cross threading and stripping, and then will have to come up with a repair. I have been fortunate so far, and only one screw is unhappy but still goes back in.

I sympathize that some days you just want the top off completely, so do I. It's do-able. It's not meant to be done often or quickly, but I do it from time to time.

Enjoy it! That's what it's all about, enjoying our green iron.

Bulldogger

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks