• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft Top Install Question m939 923a2

dawico

I searched the TMs and tried the search function but found no mention of this particular question.

My soft top has two different mounting parts on the back bottom area behind the seats. The first obvious one is the segmented loops that have a rubber rope through them and hook on the outside back of the cab. Those are mentioned in the TMs as part of the soft top install.

But there is another full length loop inside of that. Mine doesn't have a rope through it. It looks like you would run a rope through it to stretch the whole back flap tight to the cab somehow. There doesn't appear to be a lip to tuck it around or any way to pull it tight though. This extra flap isn't mentioned anywhere and looking at pictures hasn't helped with it's use.

Mine looks like it has never been used for anything and it offers no help as is for sealing the back of the cab.

Right now I can reach through and touch the spare tire/ davit/ or whatever else is in reach. The segmented loops are attached but only serve to hold the top down, not really sealing it.

How it the interior loop supposed to be attached, or is it?

Right now I am thinking about loosening the angle iron bolted to the cab behind the seats and pinching it under there to close the back of the cab off. Has anyone done this or have a better way to seal the back? Obviously it will add a step in removing the soft top but that isn't a concern. I am just trying to keep some wind and noise out.

I will get some pics up shortly.

Thanks in advance.

sniperboy

I had the same question when I installed my soft top on my M923. I recently bought some bulk 1/4 inch bungee cord to put through the loop and attach to each side inside the cab. I have not done that yet because of weather but plan to in the near future. I think this will help keep out some of the Texas dust. Will post some pictures when I complete it.

Plugugly

Mine was just resting on top of the cab metal, but facing the interior like a poor kind of flashing to keep dust out. I put heavy duty magnets on it about every 4 inches, sealing it much better to the metal cab.

dawico

It seems there isn't an official place for it. I think I am going to pinch it under that angle piece then. That should seal it up nicely.

I will post pics of the process.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't plan on taking the top off so I just riveted mine in place. It definitely cut down on the drafts and noise.

dawico

I took the angle iron piece loose and pinched my top in there. The bolt holes are loose enough that I didn't have to redrill anything so that is a plus. The minus is that the flap may come out of there.

I didn't use any sealant so it may come out if the top moves enough. If so then I will add something to adhere the flap in there or pull the flap further in so it comes around the top corner a bit. There seems to be enough material to do that.

But anyways it was a fairly simple procedure and should help with some wind and noise.

I used a few pieces of tape to hold the flap in place but that may not really be necessary. The bolts use a 7/16" wrench or socket and my cordless impact helped greatly.

My top does leak in the back but both ends are still open so any excess water can drain out. If that becomes a big issue I will put a few drain holes in it but I don't think it will be necessary.

Attachments

dawico

Update: night and day difference in noise, draft, and heat retention. If I had known this earlier it would have been one of my first fixes on the truck.

Absolutely worth the little bit of effort it takes.

brasco

I've been wondering how to best secure this flap as well. Sometimes the back of the soft top flops around and is quite drafty in the winter. Has anyone tried using one big strip of Velcro? One half could be adhered to the top edge of the cab and the other to the soft top. I think this would be quick and easy to install and allow easy removal of the soft top... just thinking out loud...

Last edited:

dawico

I've been wondering how to best secure this flap as well. Sometimes the back of the soft top flops around and is quite drafty in the winter. Has anyone tried using one big strip of Velcro? One half could be adhered to the top edge of the cab and the other to the soft top. I think this would be quick and easy to install and allow easy removal of the soft top... just thinking out loud...
It would work if you kept it back away from the bolts so it sealed properly.

I think the way mine is put together you could push it back out to remove the top. Then just bolt it back in there.

I think the magnet idea would work well too for a temporary solution.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks