• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft Top j-Channel. I cant find it!! Is it available??

chevyhurstolds84

My convertible top is in mint condition except for one thing... The black plastic channel that is sewn to the top to slide onto the windshield is cracked in a million places! Can I get this from somewhere? I work in a convertible and upholstery shop on the side, so I will not have a problem putting it on. I just need to find it!!! Thanks in advance.. Cheers!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can sew a loop on then insert a 1/4" dia rope in it.

Or, try a boat cover shop?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boat shops usually have grey colored j-channel. Almost identical to the black.

i tried to buy some from GMAcover.com in the past. Wouldn't sell it to me. Might have changed their policy.

steelandcanvas

My plastic channel separated from the vinyl also...at about 50 MPH. I took the vinyl cab cover off and laid it upside down on the hood. I then took the flap that used to secure the plastic channel and with a long piece of flat aluminum, screwed it to the top of the windshield with self-drilling button head screws, and placed the screws about every 6 inches. I then flipped the cover over and secured to the cab as before. Windproof and weatherproof, this fix will work until I run across another cab cover.

emr

I would think there are old tops out there with good channels, I had a few, wish we could save every thing, you just need the right guy to read this post,

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have any pics of what part of the siding you used ?
It was a full piece of siding, I used the part that had the "J" hook cut about 1.5 inches above the hook part. Only thing done so far is to paint the rivet and washers green to match the cover. One piece of siding was almost enough to make two front pieces (and did - the leftover part was used as the center on an 800 series tractor). Part of the secret is to use lots of pop rivets (about 1.5 inches apart horizontally) and washers on both sides.

Seth_O

I did the vinyl siding repair as well. I epoxied mine on, then sprayed it OD. It's held up great across several years and parked outside. Easy, cheap fix.

Seth_O

Here's a couple of pic's of what I did on mine that seems to have worked and held up well. Here's a super short pictorial of it going together.

1. the part I used (purchased from a box home improvement store)
  2. how it is designed to sit in the windshield frame
  3. after it was cut down I epoxied it into place and sprayed it OD
  4. final fitment on the truck

102_2213.jpg102_2215.jpg102_2224.jpg102_2227.jpg

If memory serves (its been a while since I did this) after I had it epoxied into place I went back and filled any gap b/n the j channel and the soft top along the leading edge with additional epoxy. I didn't want the wind catching underneath the fabric and tearing it off. I gave it a couple of days in a warm garage to cure, then sprayed it OD green and slid it into the truck. I have been super impressed with how effective, cheap and easy it was. From 5+ feet away its totally stealth.

My plastic piece seems to be in good shape - but the stitching has come loose and the top has partially separated from the plastic piece.
Pretty sure the thread just rotted from the sun.

I see some mention of epoxying .. Just to clarify, the epoxy was used to attach the top material to the plastic piece (the siding?)

Thanks!

3rdmdqm

Here's what I did with mine. I took siding and trimmed it off to the j-channel portion. I then glued the top to the siding using Pliobond. I then added a few rivets for added strength and painted it to match. Has held up great for years, no issues. Hope this helps.

Attachments

Seth_O

Pretty sure the thread just rotted from the sun.

I see some mention of epoxying .. Just to clarify, the epoxy was used to attach the top material to the plastic piece (the siding?)

Thanks!
Correct. My thread rotted out from exposure as well. I wasn't able to save the channel connector (cant remember what happened now, its been so long) so the plastic siding piece was just epoxied directly to the soft top. Now I am several years on and the soft top itself is rotting apart from sun exposure, but the j-channel and epoxy still looks brand new.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks