• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft top rail position issue.

HmmwvTim

Hello,

i was noticing that one side of my rails look lower. After removing the screws, it looks like there is a bushing and hole made from the factory. this is an issue for me because I have hard doors and it interferes with closing.

Below are the left and right sides:

36366188-5961-40D7-AA5F-6FBC3D194439.jpeg4A67591D-4E73-4466-9754-2D04D034BFF9.jpeg

are the holes properly placed or is it an alignment issue somewhere else?

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what I can tell, the tolerances of both the tops and hardware are pretty 'loose'. As such, buying a new top/rains or other hardware and things may not line up.

I went from a 4-man soft top, to a 2-man arctic and had a bunch of problems with both the holes on the A and B pillar, as well as the turn things that hold everything. I was able to make the rails work (eventually).. Required me to push and pull the A pillar (windshield) a bunch to get things lined up. But the turn things, I never got two of them to fit the top.

HmmwvTim

Unfortunately this is not just a jiggle.
I don’t believe the holes are in the same spot.

F5D1B374-7DD5-4D34-A500-C82225251972.jpeg9B844D3E-10DE-4BD3-B144-99D576EEDBB7.jpeg6938F242-75F9-4F75-8B90-DDBB9BA886E4.jpeg24EDEB39-77DB-42F9-BB00-7457024861EE.jpeg3708C67B-DF3A-4E3C-949A-980D38B96B0D.jpeg77A46892-D52C-48E0-BB90-39D1973E147F.jpeg

HmmwvTim

I think i will need to find someone to mig the holes closed and cut new holes.

does anyone know what the part number is for the screwable grommet?

diesel_dave

I think i will need to find someone to mig the holes closed and cut new holes.

does anyone know what the part number is for the screwable grommet?
I just asked that question yesterday. No one provided a PN for the OEM well nut but I got some 10-32 well nuts at home depot that worked great.

HmmwvTim

I just asked that question yesterday. No one provided a PN for the OEM well nut but I got some 10-32 well nuts at home depot that worked great.
thanks for telling me what they were called. Took me 3 seconds to find after knowing that.
12339397-6

Mac motors has them for 79cents

diesel_dave

thanks for telling me what they were called. Took me 3 seconds to find after knowing that.
12339397-6

Mac motors has them for 79cents
Dang nabbit! I just put in an order with Mac two days ago. Guess I'll put these in the cart for the next batch of parts.

It is hard for me to tell from the pictures but your side rails might be the same as mine. Do your bow frame brackets fit over the rivnuts or do they get stuck like in this picture?

Attachments

diesel_dave

Also, I don't know what fasteners you plan to use but this PN 12339397-1 RUBBER WELLNUT 10-32 for 3/8 HOLE might be a better match since the TM parts diagram calls out 10-32 fasteners and this PN looks closer to what was in my truck albeit much less disintegrated. I'll probably be ordering these instead of the 1/4-20 well nuts. I am not sure what diameter holes those ones require but I know the holes in my truck are 3/8" so the 12339397-1 will fit mine.

HmmwvTim

Dang nabbit! I just put in an order with Mac two days ago. Guess I'll put these in the cart for the next batch of parts.

It is hard for me to tell from the pictures but your side rails might be the same as mine. Do your bow frame brackets fit over the rivnuts or do they get stuck like in this picture?
it is a tight fit but yes it fits over everything tightly. I took everything appart so I will send you a photo later.

HmmwvTim

Also, I don't know what fasteners you plan to use but this PN 12339397-1 RUBBER WELLNUT 10-32 for 3/8 HOLE might be a better match since the TM parts diagram calls out 10-32 fasteners and this PN looks closer to what was in my truck albeit much less disintegrated. I'll probably be ordering these instead of the 1/4-20 well nuts. I am not sure what diameter holes those ones require but I know the holes in my truck are 3/8" so the 12339397-1 will fit mine.
thanks for that info. i will have to take the current ones out to measure the hole. I guess it doesnt matter since I will have to redrill new holes.

HmmwvTim

I see where your discrepancy is.
49604CEB-2059-4AEC-A447-6FE951212A55.jpeg

HmmwvTim

Exactly! The OEM rails have flush threaded inserts. The new rails have inserts that protrude. There's no way they will work unless I absolutely just mash the brackets on.
You need to drill the holes a bit bigger. They should go on just fine.

after looking at your photo, the circles might be bigger than the depth of your rail edge. would grinding down the circles work? Take a close look at how it is pressed on. You might have to tac weld it from the back before you grind.

diesel_dave

You need to drill the holes a bit bigger. They should go on just fine.

after looking at your photo, the circles might be bigger than the depth of your rail edge. would grinding down the circles work? Take a close look at how it is pressed on. You might have to tac weld it from the back before you grind.
If the new brackets that they sent are the same dimensions as the OEM ones, I'll definitely have to get creative to make them fit. Might just cut notches out so the bracket fits over. There shouldn't be any forces pulling upwards so I think that would work. Fingers crossed they just send brackets that work with their rails.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks